Sponsored

JB4 Tuner for 2022+ Ford Maverick 2L EcoBoost (BETA)

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One of the questions that I asked BMS was what application is used under Windows to analyze the data when a data cable is used with a Windows laptop. This is the response:

To analyze the data from a JB4 using a data cable and a Windows laptop, you would use the free software provided by us. You can download it and follow the instructions provided on our website. Here is the link to the instructions: JB4 Laptop Connection Directions.
So if you don't use the app how do you switch between tunes? I watched some videos on JB4 in BMW's and they switch using in dash controls to navigate the menus using speedo and rpm gauges. Is it the same in a Maverick?
Sponsored

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So if you don't use the app how do you switch between tunes? I watched some videos on JB4 in BMW's and they switch using in dash controls to navigate the menus using speedo and rpm gauges. Is it the same in a Maverick?
I think that the Windows app provides a data log for analysis only. The mobile app contains different functionality.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think that the Windows app provides a data log for analysis only. The mobile app contains different functionality.
So if you dont have the mobile app or windows cable you can use in dash controls to cycle between maps. There is just no way to log or monitor.

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So if you dont have the mobile app or windows cable you can use in dash controls to cycle between maps. There is just no way to log or monitor.
I think that the app is using Android Auto or Carplay to communicate with the display.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I would email Burger Tuning and ask. I don't know about the Maverick but in the Bronco they integrate to the drive modes. Eco mode is a 87 map and sport mode is a 93 map for example. It could work the same for the Maverick, check with them.

Sponsored

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I emailed Burger the link and asked if they'd chime in.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would email Burger Tuning and ask. I don't know about the Maverick but in the Bronco they integrate to the drive modes. Eco mode is a 87 map and sport mode is a 93 map for example. It could work the same for the Maverick, check with them.
I saw a JB4 Bronco video and they were using the dial on the center console which cycle between modes, but they were also using the app. The app and laptop plug are listed as optional. Leads me to believe you use the in dash controls. Hopefully Burger can answer.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I saw a JB4 Bronco video and they were using the dial on the center console which cycle between modes, but they were also using the app. The app and laptop plug are listed as optional. Leads me to believe you use the in dash controls. Hopefully Burger can answer.
Exactly. The Bronco goat mode dial serves the same function as the drive mode push button in a Maverick. It changes more functions but that shouldn't really matter.

But as to whether they actually use drive modes in the Maverick to change maps, I have no idea.

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I exchanged emails with Terry Burger at Burger Tuning and asked him the questions that were brought up in this thread. Here are the questions and his answers.

Questions
1. Is the JB4 for the Maverick still in beta?
2. Are the maps and firmware being updated regularly? How often?
3. What is the functionality of the bluetooth and phone app vs. the Windows app? It appears that the Windows app does data analysis only-is that correct? Is any analysis provided by the phone app? Does the Windows app allow switching between tunes/maps?
4. How does the phone app interface with the vehicle display-through Android Auto?
5. I'm not sure how to translate this last question from another poster, so I'll quote it:
I saw a JB4 Bronco video and they were using the dial on the center console which cycles between modes, but they were also using the app. The app and laptop plug are listed as optional. Leads me to believe you use the in dash controls. Hopefully Burger can answer.

Answers
1) The Maverick JB4 is out of BETA.
2) Maps and firmware are updated regularly but there is no set time
frame for updates. The firmware notes and map guide is posted here:
https://dev.jb4connectkit.com/client/firmware/?platform=47
3) The BT adapter and app ($179 combined) provide the same
functionality as the windows software and BMS data cable ($40
combined) but are wireless and easier to use.
4) There is no android-auto integration.
5) We expect drive mode-based map switching to be Maverick compatible
and it's in the latest firmware but we have not widely tested it yet.

I placed my order and will report back.

Last edited:

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Once the drive mode based switching is a thing I will be purchasing. The cost for the bluetooth and app are just way too much.

Sponsored

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hooked up my JB4 and it was pretty easy. One of the two sensor wires is best accessed from beneath the vehicle; I used the QuickJack so I could look over the exhaust as well. Note that the front skid plate needs to be removed during installation if you have the FX4 package.

Ford Maverick JB4 Tuner for 2022+ Ford Maverick 2L EcoBoost (BETA) PXL_20240223_204902800

Once it was hooked up, I could connect with my tablet to monitor gauges and log information for review. The Bluetooth connection is an option, as is a cable for a Windows computer. The JB4 connects to two engine sensors and the ODB II output beneath the dash.

Ford Maverick JB4 Tuner for 2022+ Ford Maverick 2L EcoBoost (BETA) PXL_20240226_173858859

Now to get out and test the various maps that are included with the package. I'll post my thoughts after trying it all out.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they have the drive mode based map switching then I'm in. Cant wait to here how the tunes are.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just heard back from Burger, looks like in dash controls are not available for Maverick

Hi ,

Nice to hear from you.

The JB4 is compatible with the 24 model. To control the JB4 you would need the Bluetooth kit or data cable.

Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for thinking of us.
Best,
Burger Motorsports Sales
BurgerTuning.com

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After a few days with the JB4 and trying out different maps, my butt dyno tells me that the little box does add some zing to the truck. I'm trying to find a shop with a dyno to document the gains. If anyone in the Birmingham area can recommend a shop, let me know. I'd like to get a baseline with this setup and document the performance of the different tunes before considering other performance equipment.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm sure it is helping. :) But I would not pay the cost of an AWD dyno, unless you're going to actively tune on that dyno which I doubt with a JB4.

Otherwise, that money is bettery spent on a Draggy and then you can compare to other's real-world results. Or you can just go to an actual dragstrip.
Sponsored