Is Hyundai Running Scared?

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I’ve done plenty of Tesla chargers. Not many people want to plug into a 120v charger. They want a level 2 which consumes 40-80a. FYI 20a garage plug circuits have only been code for a few years. Also, here in Nevada the power company is asking people not to charge their cars during the heat wave. California is currently having brownouts due to demand on the grid.
I'll apologize quickly to you Tim. The breathalyzer lock on my p.c. was disabled. I get frustrated hearing that the grid can't handle EV's.
Average American drives 40 miles a day. That's 12.8 kwh on the Chevy Volt.
It is predicted that by 2050, when 95% of new vehicle sales are EV, the added load to the grid will be 4%.
My apologies again.
Sponsored

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If Toyota put out a true compact truck, I am sorry, but I think it would be a gut punch to Maverick as well. Think of all the die-hard Tacoma drivers. Plus, they own the most reliable Hybrid System. As a Ford AND Toyota salesperson, I would be over the moon!
I don't think it would compete from a price standpoint, which I'd argue is the Maverick's number 1 attraction. That or the standard hybrid imo.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Hyundai's only argument ..."The Cruz isn't truck it's a Sport Adventure Vehicle" and it's in a class of it's own.
What the consumer see's "A CYA" on pricing
The Cruz's focus is on the 20-40 age group... and hoping the styling will block any senses on pricing ...Of course just my opinion...
In my book several things stand out for me:
Like the bed rollup locking top
Interior is light years better than the Maverick
Pricing sucks ....
Warranty is better than the Maverick
So in the end do you want a car that is a Wanna-be truck or is it a wanna-be SUV or What? confused :)
Or a Truck that is a wanna-be car (Hybrid-FWD..4-doors..etc.,)
I prefer the Cowboy Cadillac..A Truck that wants to be a car... and at a better price!

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
“I want to point out that a 40 mile per day EV needs only a single 20amp 120v circuit to plug in each night. Which most garages have already. The power grid can handle EVs no problem. A small fraction of residential use.”

Except when the windmills freeze, or storms knock down the power lines....if the power is out, it won’t matter if someone had their EV plugged in :)

I am not looking forward to any “all” EV.....infrastructure or not....hybrid is the way IMO.

Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
Ford CEO already threw out there in an interview that an EV version was in the works, as well as an EV Ranger.

from what VWs CEO said, their first new truck will be based on the 2023 Ranger platform
I thought VW had a really awesome concept at the shows a couple years ago and waited for them to announce a production date. Really liked the mid gate and styling. I have owned VWs for a very long time, but selling my GLI for the maverick. Ford got there first with a good product

RogueTruck

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Elantra, 18 Murano
I have an 2003 Hyundai Elantra that I bought off the floor. I named it "The Mighty Flea" because I took a year off and drove to 147 National Parks, Monuments, etc. and it never broke down. From Deadhorse, Alaska to Key West and from Nova Scotia to San Diego it kept going. I lived in it. I still love it. So, I thought I would get the Santa Cruz as my new vehicle after almost 20 years. I had a picture on my puter desktop so I could see it everytime I started my laptop. I even put down the $100 reservation fee. BUT THEN...the Maverick showed up. I have a Maverick XLT on order. I have no regrets. The only regret I would have is if the Maverick has a bunch of problems. Otherwise, the Maverick is a better value. Period.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's just the thing. The timeliness referenced by the 1989 article is NOT reversing trends by 2000. The trends only went higher. The rising seaevels are in the present, as are other effects of climate change. The fact is, the sea levels haven't YET had extreme impacts on all costal cities, but they ARE affecting some costal cities today, whether you know/want to admit it, or not.

UpstateSC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux. Pkg., '16 Miata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My guess is that the Santa Cruz will tend to appeal to people who hate the image of an American truck owner, while the Maverick will appeal to those who like trucks just fine but have never needed the gas-drinking giants currently on the road. I also think the average Santa Cruz owner will have a higher income than the average Maverick owner, in part because I think income is negatively correlated to love of trucks.

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
My guess is that the Santa Cruz will tend to appeal to people who hate the image of an American truck owner, while the Maverick will appeal to those who like trucks just fine but have never needed the gas-drinking giants currently on the road. I also think the average Santa Cruz owner will have a higher income than the average Maverick owner, in part because I think income is negatively correlated to love of trucks.
That's funny. I think some F150/250/350 Platinum/Limited trim owners would take exception to that statement....
Ford Maverick Is Hyundai Running Scared? platinum.JPG

Ford Maverick Is Hyundai Running Scared? 350 plat.JPG

UpstateSC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux. Pkg., '16 Miata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's funny. I think some F150/250/350 Platinum/Limited trim owners would take exception to that statement....
platinum.JPG

350 plat.JPG
But those folks are, I think, unlikely to buy a Maverick. To be clear, my guess is that Maverick buyers have a lower income on average than Santa Cruz buyers, and that among those attracted to compact pickup/SAV marketing, those who think "SAV" have a higher income than those who think "pickup." Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
But those folks are, I think, unlikely to buy a Maverick. To be clear, my guess is that Maverick buyers have a lower income on average than Santa Cruz buyers. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
In general agree with that, at least not to replace their current truck. But very possible they'd look at a Maverick Hybrid to replace that Prius, CR-V, RAV4, etc in their 3-car garage next to their F150/250/350....

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hard to say what Hyundai is doing. They invented the 5-year warranty and make, to my surprise, excellent vehicles. But yes, the Mav intro is a serious problem for them. I would bet they are already thinking about its final production date.

Now in regards to the Toyota compact talk: many of you know I'm a recovering hard core Toyota nut. Absolutely loved my '80 RWD long bed. And my "86 4WD short bed was one of the best rigs I have ever owned. Both survived me, were stolen, recovered, totaled, then got me home one last time. But Toyota has taken a different path. I doubt they could, or would even want to produce a compact truck at $20k.
I bought a Celica ST back in '86... what in the hell was I thinking? I could have bought that 4wd extended cab.
Sponsored