Maverick vs Hyundai Santa Cruz

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I think the Mav will totally leave the Hyundai in the dust sales wise. The Santa Cruz front end is just so... so... so... And the payload is also so... so... so... Sorry, I'm rambling! But look at the Subi Baja. An excellent vehicle. Was it too car like to succeed?
I feel like, or hope really, the over-styled vehicles are losing appeal. Our current society is, after all, leaving a bunch of people wondering what's next?
The Mav, to me, is a refreshing step forward. More basic. Sales should be in the millions.
Sponsored

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my opinion the Santa Cruz can't be compared to the Ford Maverick.

The Santa Cruz is just a high end Hyundai SUV with the tail end cut off - reminds me of the Subaru Baja. The Maverick is a Truck. The Santa Cruz is for people that don't need a truck bed but want all the "pretty" stuff. The Maverick is for the DYI and Adventure people of the world - you can actually use the maverick in the field and not worry about getting dirt on the paint. 99.9% of the people that purchase the Santa Cruz will never hit gravel / dirt because they will take a chance in scratching or washing it. The Maverick has more of the Ford F-150 backbone and will Feel/Act/Look like a Ford Tough Truck and you will look good doing it. Try showing up on a construction site driving a Santa Cruz as a work truck - you will be laughed right off the job site! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

There is only ONE small truck - Ford Maverick! The other is a "Want-To-be" Truck (UTE).

Again, Just My Opinion!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the Mav will totally leave the Hyundai in the dust sales wise. The Santa Cruz front end is just so... so... so... And the payload is also so... so... so... Sorry, I'm rambling! But look at the Subi Baja. An excellent vehicle. Was it too car like to succeed?
I feel like, or hope really, the over-styled vehicles are losing appeal. Our current society is, after all, leaving a bunch of people wondering what's next?
The Mav, to me, is a refreshing step forward. More basic. Sales should be in the millions.
I'm with you. The Maverick looks like pickups have looked since the 60s... classic that never goes out of style.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my opinion the Santa Cruz can't be compared to the Ford Maverick.

The Santa Cruz is just a high end Hyundai SUV with the tail end cut off - reminds me of the Subaru Baja. The Maverick is a Truck. The Santa Cruz is for people that don't need a truck bed but want all the "pretty" stuff. The Maverick is for the DYI and Adventure people of the world - you can actually use the maverick in the field and not worry about getting dirt on the paint. 99.9% of the people that purchase the Santa Cruz will never hit gravel / dirt because they will take a chance in scratching or washing it. The Maverick has more of the Ford F-150 backbone and will Feel/Act/Look like a Ford Tough Truck and you will look good doing it. Try showing up on a construction site driving a Santa Cruz as a work truck - you will be laughed right off the job site! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

There is only ONE small truck - Ford Maverick! The other is a "Want-To-be" Truck (UTE).

Again, Just My Opinion!
Well said. SC, Baja, and Explorer Sport Trac are in the same playground. A special version of a successful SUV. They even compete with their SUV brothers. Meanwhile, Maverick can hang out with Civic, Utes, Fusion, Tacoma, Rav4, etc. It is a much bigger world.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Well said. SC, Baja, and Explorer Sport Trac are in the same playground. A special version of a successful SUV. They even compete with their SUV brothers. Meanwhile, Maverick can hang out with Civic, Utes, Fusion, Tacoma, Rav4, etc. It is a much bigger world.
You forgot the Ridgeline, which is just a Pilot w a bed on the back. I own one. So many limitations w it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Most of us here are a little biased towards the Mav. That is a good thing.
Could one also have the opinion the Mav is a Bronco Sport with the back cut off?
But an undeniable fact is the Mav will never hang out with a Tacoma on a mountain top after three hours in low range.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Could one also have the opinion the Mav is a Bronco Sport with the back cut off?
But an undeniable fact is the Mav will never hang out with a Tacoma on a mountain top after three hours in low range.
But it certainly can go far more places than a Ridgeline or Santa Cruz can go… at least it comes w skid plates when you get the FX4 package.

I just wish they put the GOAT-mode AWD system from the Bronco Sport Badlands on the FX4 package.

But it maybe coming on a “Timberline” package that’s more off-road oriented… 🤞🏻

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
no. wheelbase and total length are longer on Maverick.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I think the Santa Cruz will appeal to folks who want higher trim levels and features that they can get in the $30-40k+ price ranges. Maverick gets some of that market, but will be king of the 20-30k price range with a ton of fleet XL orders and lots of consumer XLT owners.

I think the Maverick threw a wrench in Hyundai's plans with pricing and they're trying to figure out how to compete, which is why they haven't released pricing yet.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think the Santa Cruz will appeal to folks who want higher trim levels and features that they can get in the $30-40k+ price ranges. Maverick gets some of that market, but will be king of the 20-30k price range with a ton of fleet XL orders and lots of consumer XLT owners.

I think the Maverick threw a wrench in Hyundai's plans with pricing and they're trying to figure out how to compete, which is why they haven't released pricing yet.
Exactly! I think they rushed their announcement trying to take some of the bang out of Ford’s announcement.

I mean who does a product release with no pricing, and they still don’t have pricing a month later? 💁🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

bentley72

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The all touch instrument panel on the Santa Cruz looks like a complete nightmare to me. Will be a fingerprint magnet, and hard to adjust anything without looking and taking your eyes off the road. I appreciate the knobs on the climate control and radio volume

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The all touch instrument panel on the Santa Cruz looks like a complete nightmare to me. Will be a fingerprint magnet, and hard to adjust anything without looking and taking your eyes off the road. I appreciate the knobs on the climate control and radio volume
Yep! This is the same mistake Honda made w the Gen 2 Ridgeline that they finally corrected w the 2021 refresh.

I saw a new Hyundai Tucson on the road yesterday. My God, was that the most overstyled, mishmash of materials, textures and colors. It reminds me of some questionable DIY home renovations when they use every exterior product Home Depot sells, with no central theme… 💁🏼‍♂️

If the Santa Cruz was done by the same design team, then I can’t imagine this thing having any street cred.