Hyundai Santa Cruz Update

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
So some people are getting their Hyundai’s now and they STILL have yet to post any options or pricing.
They actually REMOVED information from their website. What an absolute JOKE!
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its there, its just been moved to the rest of their hyundai lineup with all the other vehicles, if you had the old one bookmarked: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/build#/4537

Pretty useless though as they only show a picture of the limited, you can't really configure anything, and the accessories have no pictures or useful descriptions.

The useful thing is the "compare trims" button.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah the build and price is not working terribly well there. It is an amazing contrast to see just how much detail we have about the Maverick, which is basically 2 months behind the delivery of the Santa Cruz. It seems clear to me that Ford is very excited to get the Maverick out and as much detail as they possibly can online for consumption. We nitpick about things here but the reality is we have it much better than the Santa Cruz lot!

So one thing I noted - I have an XLT 2.0 AWD FX4 Lux/4k/360 (all the main packages), plus a sunroof and rear window ordered with Granger at $30,800 and some change (plus tax and a couple hundred in fees).

In order to get the 2.5T+AWD+Tow in a Santa Cruz, I'd be paying $37,700 MSRP (SEL Premium is needed to get those fairly basic items)! I figured I could find an SEL premium on youtube and sure enough there is one:

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD

Now, certainly there are some interesting bells and whistles in that trim - I do like the added safety features (lane centering, auto cruise, which I wish were available on XLT), but here is the thing. This just looks like any old SUV inside. The doors are atrocious. The seats look flat out cheap. The 'upscale' interior looks like a buick. There is no adventure here. And I'd have to pay $7K more to get similar functionality to my XLT build? They have a real uphill battle to fight, good luck to them - oh, at the end of the build and price there are already 5 available in my area! Great job at that reservation process too...

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, to me, the Maverick and Santa Cruz have nothing in common other than “small.” The Mav looks like a truck. The Cruz looks like a blind persons attempt at designing a “truck.”

I’m biased for sure because I love the look of the Mav and am more than stoked to get into a Ford “truck” for under $50k.

But as with anything. To each their own. Just my opinions.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In order to get the 2.5T+AWD+Tow in a Santa Cruz, I'd be paying $37,700 MSRP (SEL Premium is needed to get those fairly basic items)!
Yeah, the problem is that Hyundai is not really offering a la carte build flexibility like Ford. Some of the choices of those builds are also very weird, like it costs $37K and yet it has cloth seats still? Maybe not full leather, OK, but why not faux leather or even the half cloth half faux leather seats that are even in a cheap Kia Soul (which are super comfy BTW)?

To be fair though, a SC Premium trim with tow hitch at $37,315 is most similar to this build:

Maverick Lariat AWD Ecoboost with luxury package, 360, moonroof, 4K tow package, tonneau rollup, and toolbox swingcase (the closest equiv of Santa Cruz "brunk") for total MSRP of $37,150.

That's actually not that far off IF you need/want all those options.

SC Pros: The SC Premium has a objectively better engine as it is more powerful, bigger displacement, more potential since its factory tuned for 87 octane instead of 91 octane, won't carbon foul as easily since its both port and direct injected (ecoboost is GDI only), a better fully digital gauge cluster, 1K lbs more towing capacity, a much longer 10yr/100K mile warranty, a DCT w/ paddle shifters vs slushbox without, LED taillamps, soft open tailgate, wireless AndroidAuto/Carplay, roof rails, blinkers integrated into mirrors, roof rails, self-leveling rear suspension, and digital key functionality.

Maverick Pros: The Maverick has faux leather instead of cloth seats, much more powerful inverters (400w vs 150w), rear center armrest, Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with Stop & Go, 4-way headrests, integrated trailer brake controller, power instead of manual rear window, touchpad entry access.

So the Maverick if you REALLY compare apples to apples isn't cheaper, but you have so much more flexibility to make it cheaper by omitting options that you don't want on the Maverick, or going hybrid which is just hands down better than the naturally aspirated 2.5 option IMO. The one argument in favor of a non-turbo trim IMO would be a SC SE AWD, because the standard feature list is quite large and you can't get the hybrid in AWD. At that point, equipping a Maverick to be the same again costs about the same, but you get again some things on the SC like that self-leveling rear suspension that you don't get on the Maverick and visa versa where the Maverick now has a similarly efficient but now 250hp vs 191hp engine.

Sponsored

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

millertyme15

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano, Chrysler 200, Jeep Wrangler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, to me, the Maverick and Santa Cruz have nothing in common other than “small.” The Mav looks like a truck. The Cruz looks like a blind persons attempt at designing a “truck.”

I’m biased for sure because I love the look of the Mav and am more than stoked to get into a Ford “truck” for under $50k.

But as with anything. To each their own. Just my opinions.
I am stoked to get into a "NEW" Ford truck for under $30K....XLT Hybrid Lux Package w/sunroof, hard roll up cover, weather/carpet mats. of course, Carbonized Gray

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS