Maverick vs Hyundai Santa Cruz

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
I have to wonder if Ford will put ANY marketing behind the Maverick, or if it is just going to be a quiet, cheap release.
I would not count on a quiet release. There was that video a few weeks ago of the light blue one with no camouflage. Seems like that was likely filming of some kind for marketing.
Sponsored

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Santa Cruz v. Maverick

Say what you want they will be competitors. Sizes will be similar. Basic capabilities will be similar. Sure the Maverick will be more truck like and the Santa Cruz will be more car like. But the Santa Cruz is not a "car" and the Maverick is not a "truck." From what I've seen, I like them both. Once the kinks are worked out, I'll try to test drive them both. Hyundai makes a nice vehicle. So does Ford. If one offers a plug in hybrid they will get my money.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
So what? Sedans are dying because sedan/SUV cross shopping. Plenty of people cross shop midsize/fullsize trucks and the Ridgeline with fullsize trucks due to similar pricing.

But they are not going after the same customers. Totally different market segments!

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People who like the styling of the Santa Cruz like it because it -doesn't- look like a truck. A departure from the norm can be a good thing.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I personally donā€™t like the Santa Cruz. The front end is toooo long. It has 4ā€ less leg room and 3ā€ smaller bed as a result.
That and itā€™s starting price is much higher.
yes optioned the Maverick MIGHT be similar.
hyundai typically doesnā€™t have many options. And itā€™s just trims.
a LOADED XLT 4x4 Maverick 2.0 turbo will be around $30k
I highly doubt the SEL Premium Hyundai will be any where near 30k closer to 35k

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So what? Sedans are dying because sedan/SUV cross shopping. Plenty of people cross shop midsize/fullsize trucks and the Ridgeline with fullsize trucks due to similar pricing.
If they do cross-shop the Ridgeline w mid-size trucks, considering sales figures, it doesnā€™t say much about the Ridgelineā€¦
I ought to know, I own a 2019 RTL-E and want to dump this thing so bad!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I posted this on another forum, but it seems better suited to this spot...

I wonder why Ford silenced the unofficial media blitz. It seems like the Maverick was generating a lot of buzz, and now it's all been silenced. I have to question the wisdom of silencing the buzz and allowing the Santa Cruz to get an advanced foothold on the market.

I have to wonder if Ford will put ANY marketing behind the Maverick, or if it is just going to be a quiet, cheap release.

I also wonder if they're having trouble getting the price down to $20k as has been rumored.

Of course, it could be they are letting Hyundai set the bar, so they can quietly tweak their designs to directly compete against the Santa Cruz.
pretty obvious now they wanted to make sure the standard Hybrid under $20K could not leak out. Ford has the lower end of small truck market to themselves and all they have to do is deliver the goods promised.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
pretty obvious now they wanted to make sure the standard Hybrid under $20K could not leak out. Ford has the lower end of small truck market to themselves and all they have to do is deliver the goods promised.
Agreed :cool:

Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
If they do cross-shop the Ridgeline w mid-size trucks, considering sales figures, it doesnā€™t say much about the Ridgelineā€¦
I ought to know, I own a 2019 RTL-E and want to dump this thing so bad!
Why, they seem like nice trucks

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Hybrid Maverick vs Santa Cruz 2.5N/A
Note the Maverick is a CVT. The lines are Max and Min. Vs true lines of the Hyundai.
Ford Maverick Maverick vs  Hyundai Santa Cruz BFB22757-68A6-4A31-AFF7-3E4DD79BA382
Maverick Turbo vs Santa Cruz Turbo. (Maverick with lower rear end in lighter color) Those gear ratios of the Hyundai are a MESS. Itā€™s more like an overly complicated 5 speed.
Ford Maverick Maverick vs  Hyundai Santa Cruz 86AC3444-EB10-4082-AAA8-D40A2B30860A

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Why, they seem like nice trucks
Bc Honda refused to do the work to make it a ā€œtruckā€. It really is a Honda Pilot w a bed on the back. For the price, it is missing ā€œtruck featuresā€ that are standard on competitors at that price point.

The Maverick also has options that other trucks have, that the Ridgeline lacks (off-road package, towing package, AT tires, etc)

The capabilities of the Maverick meet or exceed the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline doesnā€™t like towing my boat, (3900 lbs) and the transmission overheats (a common Ridgeline complaint). We used to tow it w an AWD 2013 Escape w no problems even though we were slightly over the 3500 lb. tow rating

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A departure from the norm can also be history repeating itselfā€¦
1624312332390.png
I would totally rock a modern reimagination of that in a hybrid if priced right! Would have to be wide enough with a flat floor bench seat for three though, as that's the minimum amount of folks I'd need to be able to carry.

A more modern interpretation that is repeating itself is the Ford Explorer Sport Trac, especially considering the Maverick is Escape based and the same length as a modern Explorer:
Ford Maverick Maverick vs  Hyundai Santa Cruz {filename}

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I would totally rock a modern reimagination of that in a hybrid if priced right! Would have to be wide enough with a flat floor bench seat for three though, as that's the minimum amount of folks I'd need to be able to carry.

A more modern interpretation that is repeating itself is the Ford Explorer Sport Trac, especially considering the Maverick is Escape based and the same length as a modern Explorer:
Ford Maverick Maverick vs  Hyundai Santa Cruz {filename}
I never understood why Ford killed the Sport Trac šŸ’šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
Its still a very popular used vehicle and you see them all over the place here in upstate SC
I hope the Maverick proves as popular!
Sponsored