First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The same with California, but I think with both it will get delayed, the infrastructure is not there especially for lower income people who can afford a new car but are living in a place where they can't recharge an ev. The condos where I live now was built in the 60 and there is no electrical connections by our parking spots, and no easy way to wire the 75 to 100 that would be needed.
The U.S. hasn't even TRIED to spread hi-speed internet much outside of extended suburbia. I don't see a move to all electric vehicles BEFORE you can get 10MB internet out in the sticks.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Er, yeah… on a wing and a prayer? He makes a good point about condos and apartments. Exactly who is supposed to fund that for existing construction?

Even all the new, luxury apartments that are building in our downtown aren’t designed w EVs in mind.

Then there’s the power grid issue… and the ratepayers will not be happy if they’re forced to finance the upgrades through rate increases…

https://www.bcg.com/publications/2019/costs-revving-up-the-grid-for-electric-vehicles
Agreed. I’ve been an electrician for 30 years. A standard house service will not support 2 electric cars charging without significant upgrades, aside from the obvious problems with the grid and producing that much power. I don’t see it happening in the near future, if in my lifetime at all.

Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Agreed. I’ve been an electrician for 30 years. A standard house service will not support 2 electric cars charging without significant upgrades, aside from the obvious problems with the grid and producing that much power. I don’t see it happening in the near future, if in my lifetime at all.
I want to point out that a 40 mile per day EV needs only a single 20amp 120v circuit to plug in each night. Which most garages have already.

The power grid can handle EVs no problem. A small fraction of residential use.

Electrician for thirty years? Are you kidding me? You better study up for the real world!

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
I want to point out that a 40 mile per day EV needs only a single 20amp 120v circuit to plug in each night. Which most garages have already.

The power grid can handle EVs no problem. A small fraction of residential use.

Electrician for thirty years? Are you kidding me? You better study up for the real world!
I’ve done plenty of Tesla chargers. Not many people want to plug into a 120v charger. They want a level 2 which consumes 40-80a. FYI 20a garage plug circuits have only been code for a few years. Also, here in Nevada the power company is asking people not to charge their cars during the heat wave. California is currently having brownouts due to demand on the grid.

Sponsored

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can we get back to discussing trucks?

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Here is what I don't understand about the Santa Cruz: why did Hyundai build it off the Tuscon platform rather than the Santa Fe platform? It seems to make so much more sense. The Santa Fe is:
  1. a bit bigger and sturdier than a Tuscon thus seems more logical to convert into a compact pickup
  2. has better interior and cargo space thus more room to play with regarding interior and bed dimensions
  3. has a platform more comparable to the Escape thus better apples-to-apples benchmarking
I will admit that I felt the same way when the Maverick was leaked to be built off the Escape platform figuring the Explorer and/or Edge platforms would be more viable for a compact truck. When I found out about the price point, I saw there reasoning but still questioned it. When it was reveal that the hybrid engine was standard, it all made sense. A hybrid based compact truck based off the Explorer platform would (assumingly) be more expensive. The Edge doesn't have a hybrid system, yet (if ever to get one).

With that said, Hyundai needs to really reevaluate things quickly. Maybe they just need to release what they have to save face and spend the next year retooling and doubling down on incorporating the hybrid system. If they scrap the Santa Cruz and go back to the drawing board (which I highly doubt they will), that is a lot of wasted R&D, PR, and pre-launch hype and advertisement on the vehicle. It will also reduced the Santa Cruz back into a mere concept as it was back in 2016.

I hope Hyundai does find a fix, though probably temporary, to the Santa Cruz. As much as I like the Maverick, we need competition to get the best from everyone. Competition is the only thing that will make Ford expedite a technology package on the base that offers cruise control for the XL trim (yes, I'm poking the XL bear lol). I hope to see at least GM and Toyota join the fight. And if Subaru jumps back in with a Outback-based Baja, boy will it be a fun market to see evolve.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is what I don't understand about the Santa Cruz: why did Hyundai build it off the Tuscon platform rather than the Santa Fe platform? It seems to make so much more sense. The Santa Fe is:
  1. a bit bigger and sturdier than a Tuscon thus seems more logical to convert into a compact pickup
  2. has better interior and cargo space thus more room to play with regarding interior and bed dimensions
  3. has a platform more comparable to the Escape thus better apples-to-apples benchmarking
I will admit that I felt the same way when the Maverick was leaked to be built off the Escape platform figuring the Explorer and/or Edge platforms would be more viable for a compact truck. When I found out about the price point, I saw there reasoning but still questioned it. When it was reveal that the hybrid engine was standard, it all made sense. A hybrid based compact truck based off the Explorer platform would (assumingly) be more expensive. The Edge doesn't have a hybrid system, yet (if ever to get one).

With that said, Hyundai needs to really reevaluate things quickly. Maybe they just need to release what they have to save face and spend the next year retooling and doubling down on incorporating the hybrid system. If they scrap the Santa Cruz and go back to the drawing board (which I highly doubt they will), that is a lot of wasted R&D, PR, and pre-launch hype and advertisement on the vehicle. It will also reduced the Santa Cruz back into a mere concept as it was back in 2016.

I hope Hyundai does find a fix, though probably temporary, to the Santa Cruz. As much as I like the Maverick, we need competition to get the best from everyone. Competition is the only thing that will make Ford expedite a technology package on the base that offers cruise control for the XL trim (yes, I'm poking the XL bear lol). I hope to see at least GM and Toyota join the fight. And if Subaru jumps back in with a Outback-based Baja, boy will it be a fun market to see evolve.
I don’t think most consumers will have a difficulty with the Santa Cruz size vs Maverick. I think it will come down to what style you like best and how the usability suits your needs.
Sponsored