Is Hyundai Running Scared?

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
So the Santa Cruz was revealed 11 weeks ago. And started production last week. Yet have STILL not released full trim specs and pricing.

Im beginning to wonder if they saw the pricing layout of the Maverick and are now trying to figure out a plan B. Or C.

The more and more reports I read. The higher the price is. Iā€™ve seen multiple sources saying $27,000 starting MSRP.
that would be a massive price gap between the Maverick and Santa Cruz. Even if the Hyundai has more ā€œstandard equipmentā€
Sponsored

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I seen the Santa Cruz a while back and it did spark a little something but it doesnā€™t have that truck look. Iā€™m so glad Ford built the Maverick itā€™s a perfect vehicle for me. Great fuel mileage great square truck like looks and very simple. The Santa Cruz reminds me of the Subaru Baja which is not a good image in my mind (Sorry). Granted the Maverick is the same vehicle basically but it actually has a truck look. Iā€™m not a Ford guy because I have never liked there interiors on the F150ā€™s until this years update. I work for a company as a mechanic that runs only Ford trucks and they make great vehicles except the 6.7 diesel (very leaky grenade without a pin pile of crap engine) so this was a leap for me buying a Ford and hopefully it will change my feelings towards Ford.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I think Ford gut punched them on pricing and figuring out what tiny truck buyers really want. Ford used simple, durable plastics inside, made a very creative and functional bed, and still got most of the styling to look pretty conservative. Hyundai made a mini Ridgeline, a crossover SUV with the cargo area modified to a bed. They put a trunk in lieu of a spare tire but didn't think leaning over a tailgate to access said trunk sucks. I think they went too upmarket with piano black trim inside and luxury features which are nice but make it not competitive with the Maverick.

But the death stroke is the pricing and mpg combined. Government and business fleets will buy the hell out of these because operating costs, green incentives and mandates, and low purchase price. That keeps Ford printing money on them and the price low for retail consumers. Hyundai will only have retail to sell to so I don't think they can even afford to make prices lower on the models they planned.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick will punch Toyota too. They will realize that a hybrid Maverick is a Rav4 plus a bed. Why it apperas in another company's showroom?

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Maverick will punch Toyota too. They will realize that a hybrid Maverick is a Rav4 plus a bed. Why it apperas in another company's showroom?
Toyota has a pretty loyal following of people who look to the name brand and want appliance level reliability from their cars. If Toyota puts out a RAV4 based ute they'll be sold out too and really crush Hyundai sales

Sponsored

Ronin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We were considering the Hyundai but several factors led to us ordering the Maverick on June 29. Not knowing the cost of the Santa Cruz, the Mavericks standard hybrid drivetrain and good price made us pick the Maverick. We have two Kia vehicles (2006 Sedona and 2021 Sorento with the 2.5 turbo) that we purchased new and they have been great. I would not hesitate to buy a Santa Cruz if it was what worked for us. The long warranty on the Hyundai/Kia products are a great selling point. The Maverick is great vehicle for the price and we are looking forward to taking delivery when ever that may be.

theEngineer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, '13 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We were considering the Hyundai but several factors led to us ordering the Maverick on June 29. Not knowing the cost of the Santa Cruz, the Mavericks standard hybrid drivetrain and good price made us pick the Maverick. We have two Kia vehicles (2006 Sedona and 2021 Sorento with the 2.5 turbo) that we purchased new and they have been great. I would not hesitate to buy a Santa Cruz if it was what worked for us. The long warranty on the Hyundai/Kia products are a great selling point. The Maverick is great vehicle for the price and we are looking forward to taking delivery when ever that may be.
I'm in the same boat. I have been very happy with my 2013 Elantra GT, and the Santa Cruz piqued my interest. However, the 40mpg hybrid and low cost of the Maverick are what caused me to choose it over the Santa Cruz.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Toyota has a pretty loyal following of people who look to the name brand and want appliance level reliability from their cars. If Toyota puts out a RAV4 based ute they'll be sold out too and really crush Hyundai sales
I am actually surprised Toyota didn't think about this earlier. I'd be surprised if they didn't enter this space in the next 2-3 years. They have their own scalable architecture and the RAV4 already rides on that platform (TNGA), of which is already available with gas, hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants. Toyota has a huge following in the compact and midsize Sedan and CUV segments, and most of the times leaders in sales in those segments. I personally lean toward Japanese smaller vehicles, but neither (Honda or Toyota) have a product like the Maverick. I have never really been drawn to Ford products, and if I were, it was a long time ago. In comes the Maverick and it really hit well with my preferences to interior/ exterior aesthetics and interior feature content as well as an excellent price point, even a fully loaded Lariat of which I'm most interested. Ford did well with this product so far that I can tell. Ford knows trucks, and they know how to sell a lot of them.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I'm in the same boat. I have been very happy with my 2013 Elantra GT, and the Santa Cruz piqued my interest. However, the 40mpg hybrid and low cost of the Maverick are what caused me to choose it over the Santa Cruz.
I'm also in the same boat. We have a 2011 Kia Forte (165,000 miles) and a 2103 Kia Sorento (117,000 miles). Both of them are great and have been very reliable. But we're ready to retire the Forte while the Sorento still has life in it. I need something a bit bigger and more capable, but it needs to be reasonable in price. The Maverick hits all the right buttons. I'm not sure if the Santa Cruz would. Honestly, price is the determining factor. Back when we bought the Forte, we had just gotten burned on a lemon that we were 5,000 upside down on. So we bought the cheapest car that met our needs and had a great warranty. It was probably the best car-buying choice we've ever made. While the Kia/Hyundai warranty is far better than the Ford warranty, some dealers offer in-house warranties that are pretty amazing. I ordered my Maverick from Pundmann Ford in St. Charles, Missouri. They aren't offering the 3% below invoice that I've seen some dealers offer, but they are throwing in a (non-transferrable) LIFETIME powertrain warranty, valid at any Ford dealership in the country. To me, that's enough reassurance.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the Santa Cruz was revealed 11 weeks ago. And started production last week. Yet have STILL not released full trim specs and pricing.
Merely an incompetent marketing team is my guess based on the Tucson launch.

I was literally able to drive a 2022 Tucson that I found by mere coincidence when at a Hyundai dealer looking at another model before Hyundai had brought in any of the big youtube or magazine reviewers to check out the vehicle and bring out hype for them or even update the hyundai USA website to show that the vehicle even existed.

So I could actually purchase the vehicle sitting on dealer lots all over Houston before Hyundai marketing had even announced it or made available information about its fuel economy or price or trim options. *facepalm*

Sponsored

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let the battle beginšŸ˜†šŸ˜†

I can imagine a Rav4 pickup, an SC, a Ridgeline, and some players from Chevy and GMC in 2-3 years.

In the Ford team, I think we can expect a Maverick Lighting, an AWD plug-in Maverick, as well as a cheaper and working-style Ranger(single cabin). It is an all-star teamšŸ¤©šŸ¤©

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So Hyundai has originally planned to do that with the last generation Tucson, figuring they could just slightly modify the platform to become a minitruck, but found out it was far more expensive and poor results to do that without having designed the chassis from the getgo to accommodate that.

So the huge delay from the concept vehicle to the production vehicle is that they decided they had to wait a generation and ensure the next chassis was designed from day one to be suitable for both.

I have a feeling Toyota will be in the same boat, and so if we see an entry from them, it wouldn't be until they have a completely new generation and the current 5th gen only just came out in 2019. 2022 might see a refresh, but I'd wager a whole ground up new design wouldn't be until 2025+.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the Ford team, I think we can expect a Maverick Lighting, an AWD plug-in Maverick, as well as a cheaper and working-style Ranger(single cabin). It is an all-star teamšŸ¤©šŸ¤©
I think we'll see a plugin Maverick and probably AWD for sure, but I doubt a Maverick Lightning. I think we are passed the days of jerry rigging a ICE/hybrid based vehicle into a pure electric, and they would make a proper ground up new "skateboard" platform that wouldn't be Escape/Bronco Sport based.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think we'll see a plugin Maverick and probably AWD for sure, but I doubt a Maverick Lightning. I think we are passed the days of jerry rigging a ICE/hybrid based vehicle into a pure electric, and they would make a proper ground up new "skateboard" platform that wouldn't be Escape/Bronco Sport based.
In the future, Ford will have two EV platforms and much more models. I don't think they will set up separate EV trademarks but will share the brands with the current models.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
While they likely will need a different platform for a small electric truck, I don't know why they wouldn't call it a Maverick. It's what they did with the F-150...
Sponsored