First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has 25 manufacturing facilities in the United States. Hyundai has one assembly plant in Alabama. They're not even in the same league.
That's not exactly telling all of the facts. Hyundai yearly sales in the U.S. are about 1/5 of Ford's total yearly sales. I get that it's easy to make an argument either way but for me I'd rather buy a vehicle actually made in the United States with U.S. labor. I understand why Ford and others make vehicles for the U.S. market in Mexico but I still don't like it. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Ford made in Mexico but it would at least make me consider another vehicle first.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m looking for a small truck-ish type vehicle that has decent style. Both the Hyundai and the Ford, although different design language, are both something I am drawn to aesthetically. What I like about the Hyundai is the I4 2.5T mated to a Wet 8DCT producing 275+HP/310+TQ. It seems Hyundai is a bit more bold in the powertrain department when compared. Although Ford powertrains for Maverick have not been announced, I’d be surprised to see they include 2.3T at launch on something that’s not “ST” brand trim. Hyundai can be a bit more bold, because they don’t have to worry about segment overlap due to protecting sales of their next segment up. I’m tired of vehicles that I am attracted to that are cut off at the knees powertrain wise just so corporate can protect their cash-cow at my expense as a consumer.

I’m a unique buyer, I like the use of an open bed, but I like the driving dynamics of a sedan, but don’t want just an everyday CUV or typical slow shifting slush box auto. I believe the Hyundai would fill what I am seeking more than Maverick right now.

Let people think I’m some “urban, skinny-jean-wearing, soy latte slurping young professional.” I’m 37 years young, and a Civil Engineer, hate the hipster crowd and know my exact use case for the product. I’m not offended nor would I be. I lease a 2019 Tacoma, it blows donkey dookie. Talk about hipster crowd! I can’t stand it when everyone that has one that’s outfitted in overlander guise try to wave at me. Hello no, take the truck rice somewhere else. Haha! Its lease end is up October and I can’t wait to dump it. Too many issues and short comings for me after living with it just over 2.5 years. That places Hyundai at June-August and perfect timeframe wise for my needs by October. The older I get, the easier it is for me to choose what I want based on my realistic needs, not what some else thinks of me.

I look forward to Ford revealing the Maverick and hope it’s soon so I can cross shop. I also look forward to the side by side comparisons.
What I'd hope for is competition that helps lower prices. Let's see Chevy and Dodge/Ram get in the small truck game. Maybe Subaru and Kia too. Selection and competition is good for the consumer.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
See, I'm not sure what to think about backseat size on the Hyundai. I don't know if you guys saw the video that TFL Truck did, but I remember that the host is over 6 feet tall and when he hopped in the backseat it didn't look half bad.
I'm with a lot of you guys, I expected to be dead set on the Maverick but I gotta say Hyundai did a lot of things right. More than I expected them to.
I just watched that TFL Truck video on the Santa Cruz and you're right it didn't look too bad and he's definitely not a small guy. The only things I'm not sure on are I can't tell how far forward he had the front seat to be able to get in the back. Also, although he mentions that the back seat isn't too upright, when he's sitting in the back he doesn't look like he's in a very comfortable position, also like the seats aren't leaned back enough. All of this is hard to tell from video's and there's really no way to know until we can actually sit in one.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford hasn't even officially said the Maverick exists. Now that Hyundai has shown their hand don't ya think it's time Ford do something official? I remember when the Ranger was first out there was very little fanfare. Ford needs to work on generating enthusiasm. I find them to often be way too low key.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've always been for "Buy American" when it comes to vehicles - with the exception of my 1970 Beetle. :rolleyes: But that's almost an impossibility now. So my current philosophy is either American-based company, or American-based manufacturing. I no longer have a need for a large truck, and would be very open-minded to the Santa Cruz when I decide to replace my 2019 Ranger.
Interesting you mention the Beetle. Are we ever going to see another economical, affordable vehicle aimed at the masses? Not everyone is going to want a small pickup, but if the Maverick could really be offered under $20k I'd think the fleet, farm, delivery sales alone would be huge. We've seen the Santa Cruz now and it's flashy, loaded with tech, and almost sure to start well over $25k. Ford needs to take a different tack and produce the "Beetle" of small pickups.

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing you won't get with the Santa Cruz is a flashy color. This is the color selection being shown for the Santa Cruz on the Hyundai.com website. B-o-r-i-n-g !! They make an exciting new vehicle and then only have muted colors like this? No red? Why not offer the color pallet they use on the Kona?
Ford Maverick Maverick vs  Hyundai Santa Cruz Screenshot_20210417-212946-01

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I'd hope for is competition that helps lower prices. Let's see Chevy and Dodge/Ram get in the small truck game. Maybe Subaru and Kia too. Selection and competition is good for the consumer.
It was reported in February Stellantis killed the plan of a compact pickup slotted under Ram 1500. Turns out they DO build 1 already based on a Fiat Unibody platform and a quick search shows they released this new Ram700 in Mexico and may choose to bring it to USA later...

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/ram-700-makes-its-latin-american-debut/

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
The Santa Cruz does have the Hyundai Warranty going for it. We do have a Hyundai and the warranty is really good! My wife will buy nothing but a Hyundai because of the warranty and she survived a traffic accident that did not penetrate the passenger compartment while totaling the vehicle.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You'll need that Hyundai power train warranty when a piston cracks the engine block at 80K miles.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
You'll need that Hyundai power train warranty when a piston cracks the engine block at 80K miles.
Yeah, I’ll jump right out and buy one ..just showing the 2.0 potential...
My stock 2.3 makes more torque than that ....388 lb/ft ..on 93 Octane ..

Ford Maverick Maverick vs  Hyundai Santa Cruz BAB2722B-4A1F-4C9C-8AAD-CB3CCF1A8D3F

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting you mention the Beetle. Are we ever going to see another economical, affordable vehicle aimed at the masses? Not everyone is going to want a small pickup, but if the Maverick could really be offered under $20k I'd think the fleet, farm, delivery sales alone would be huge.
I think you mean Ford needs a new Model T 😆

Reactions: Doc

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you mean Ford needs a new Model T 😆
Yes! In it's day the Model T was ubiquitous. Same as the Beetle was later. Today however, the demand for tech and fancy features pretty much means we're not likely to see a very basic, high-volume, low-profit vehicle of that kind.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I posted this on another forum, but it seems better suited to this spot...

I wonder why Ford silenced the unofficial media blitz. It seems like the Maverick was generating a lot of buzz, and now it's all been silenced. I have to question the wisdom of silencing the buzz and allowing the Santa Cruz to get an advanced foothold on the market.

I have to wonder if Ford will put ANY marketing behind the Maverick, or if it is just going to be a quiet, cheap release.

I also wonder if they're having trouble getting the price down to $20k as has been rumored.

Of course, it could be they are letting Hyundai set the bar, so they can quietly tweak their designs to directly compete against the Santa Cruz.
Sponsored