Sponsored

Is Hyundai Running Scared?

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
Indeed they are in the pickle. They thought they would have this market niche for a while, but now everything is changed with Maverick release. Maverick value proposition will be hard to match and standard Hybrid is just an icing on the cake.
Sponsored

First Name
Triston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corolla SE
Toyota has a pretty loyal following of people who look to the name brand and want appliance level reliability from their cars. If Toyota puts out a RAV4 based ute they'll be sold out too and really crush Hyundai sales
If Toyota put out a true compact truck, I am sorry, but I think it would be a gut punch to Maverick as well. Think of all the die-hard Tacoma drivers. Plus, they own the most reliable Hybrid System. As a Ford AND Toyota salesperson, I would be over the moon!

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
If Toyota put out a true compact truck, I am sorry, but I think it would be a gut punch to Maverick as well. Think of all the die-hard Tacoma drivers. Plus, they own the most reliable Hybrid System. As a Ford AND Toyota salesperson, I would be over the moon!
I could believe that. I had seriously considered one of those dirt brown colored ones for a few years. Still a bit bigger than I wanted.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Hard to say what Hyundai is doing. They invented the 5-year warranty and make, to my surprise, excellent vehicles. But yes, the Mav intro is a serious problem for them. I would bet they are already thinking about its final production date.

Now in regards to the Toyota compact talk: many of you know I'm a recovering hard core Toyota nut. Absolutely loved my '80 RWD long bed. And my "86 4WD short bed was one of the best rigs I have ever owned. Both survived me, were stolen, recovered, totaled, then got me home one last time. But Toyota has taken a different path. I doubt they could, or would even want to produce a compact truck at $20k.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think we'll see a plugin Maverick and probably AWD for sure, but I doubt a Maverick Lightning. I think we are passed the days of jerry rigging a ICE/hybrid based vehicle into a pure electric, and they would make a proper ground up new "skateboard" platform that wouldn't be Escape/Bronco Sport based.
It'll be the 1st product launched on the new shared VW platform. Even smaller than Maverick, available as either PHEV or BEV, scalable by adding bigger batteries and more motors on drive wheels- and named Ranchero. Take it to the Bank ;)

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Let the battle begin😆😆

I can imagine a Rav4 pickup, an SC, a Ridgeline, and some players from Chevy and GMC in 2-3 years.

In the Ford team, I think we can expect a Maverick Lighting, an AWD plug-in Maverick, as well as a cheaper and working-style Ranger(single cabin). It is an all-star team🤩🤩
More likely an off-road Mav similar to the Ranger Tremor will be first up.

If Toyota were to bring out a RAV4 pickup, they would be the only ones besides Ford to have any off-road credibility. And I think Ford is counting on that.

A true off-road variant gives it credibility as a “truck” vs. a wimpy crossover w a bed. Hence why Ford is stamping it into the dashboard:
Ford Maverick Is Hyundai Running Scared? 1625505347805
Ford Maverick Is Hyundai Running Scared? 1625505369999

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It'll be the 1st product launched on the new shared VW platform. Even smaller than Maverick, available as either PHEV or BEV, scalable by adding bigger batteries and more motors on drive wheels- and named Ranchero. Take it to the Bank ;)
Ford CEO already threw out there in an interview that an EV version was in the works, as well as an EV Ranger.

from what VWs CEO said, their first new truck will be based on the 2023 Ranger platform

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford CEO already threw out there in an interview that an EV version was in the works, as well as an EV Ranger.

from what VWs CEO said, their first new truck will be based on the 2023 Ranger platform
correct, but Ford also has an agreement to use 2 new VW electric platforms in near future. Since Maverick is Unibody and Ranger is not, it still makes sense that the Smaller VW platform could be used for a new smaller Maverick little brother that is BEV, no?

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
correct, but Ford also has an agreement to use 2 new VW electric platforms in near future. Since Maverick is Unibody and Ranger is not, it still makes sense that the Smaller VW platform could be used for a new smaller Maverick little brother that is BEV, no?
My guess is, if they’re required to use these small VW platforms, they’ll use them fir Europe and Asia.. not for the US… I mean would you want a Nissan Leaf pickup? Or that stupid, tiny BMW EV that ppl laugh at (we have the big BMW plant here in SC so we see BMWs around most ppl don’t)

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I didn't get the impression those VW skateboards were for tiny cars? There's a new EV VW van/bus in the works and I would bet that could be used for a true compact truck the size of the old Ranger with standard 2 door cab and longer bed than Maverick.

no, I don't want EV anything and laugh at people thinking they are saving the environment pushing a move to EV prematurely. I'm hoping I'll be dead and gone (natural causes- nothing nasty) before the gov't actually outlaws IC powered vehicles for the masses while they exempt themselves. I still got about 25 2-stroke vintage motorcycles to keep my happy and busy :cool: maybe some of those will have go 6 feet under with me when it's time :sleep:

Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In Canada all cars and light duty trucks sold after 2035 will have to be all electric. The 2.0L Maverick will most certainly be my last gas powered vehicle.

icarusflu

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
In Canada all cars and light duty trucks sold after 2035 will have to be all electric. The 2.0L Maverick will most certainly be my last gas powered vehicle.
The same with California, but I think with both it will get delayed, the infrastructure is not there especially for lower income people who can afford a new car but are living in a place where they can't recharge an ev. The condos where I live now was built in the 60 and there is no electrical connections by our parking spots, and no easy way to wire the 75 to 100 that would be needed.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
14 years is enough time. Infrastructure will come.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
14 years is enough time. Infrastructure will come.
Er, yeah… on a wing and a prayer? He makes a good point about condos and apartments. Exactly who is supposed to fund that for existing construction?

Even all the new, luxury apartments that are building in our downtown aren’t designed w EVs in mind.

Then there’s the power grid issue… and the ratepayers will not be happy if they’re forced to finance the upgrades through rate increases…

https://www.bcg.com/publications/2019/costs-revving-up-the-grid-for-electric-vehicles
Sponsored