First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My issue with the eb is carbon build up not using top tier premium. My last vw turbo 2.0 had carbon build up at 60k milage. Rough idling and check engine light.. I thought I could get away with mid grade but no way. Don't know how the eb will be. Time will tell.
Fair point. I also use Chevron Techron build up fuel additive every oil change, FWIW. I'd do that even if I used Premium though.
Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When we had our 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid, I never noticed a difference in fuel grade. In CO, the rating is at 85 for the standard/base gas (as it is in much of the Rocky Mountain region). Also to note, I never noticed any difference driving in Eco mode either.

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even Ford recommends 'regular gas' for hybrids, as does Toyota, as does Honda. Why would you think they were lying about that?
Actually the OM states that 87 is required for the hybrid. . They recommend 91 octane and it indeed makes the truck run better and smoother. Especially when passing or the first minute after a cold start.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

vinnymac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford uses OAR (Octane adjust ratio) and it takes time for the computer to adjust the fueling/timing based on octane. MY GTI has a similar system and its a noticeable difference. 93 to a E30 mix is a pretty good improvement. Its much snappier. I will be trying different things with my Maverick to find its happy spot on a stock tune.
Hey y’all been reading everybody’s posts. I have a 2015 mustang 2.3 ecoboost that has had nothing but 93 octane since new a couple mods and When my foot isn’t to the floor it hits 26 city and 32-34 highway and the additives for premium fuel is for cleaning valves,rings,pistons etc is superior.the xtra few bucks for premium is long term worth it. I can’t wait to take delivery (hopefully soon)of the XL AWD 2.0 base I ordered. Enjoy your Mavericks

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My issue with the eb is carbon build up not using top tier premium. My last vw turbo 2.0 had carbon build up at 60k milage. Rough idling and check engine light.. I thought I could get away with mid grade but no way. Don't know how the eb will be. Time will tell.
Be careful with that statement. While higher octane fuel may increase power in the EB engines ( computer adjustment to timing based on info from knock sensor) premium fuel may actually lead to increased deposits. Don't believe that? Look up what Ford went through with Explorers running the V6 engines in the 2000's.
Premium fuel may, or may not have any more cleaning agents in it than the same brands regular octane fuels. Those cleaning agents have the most effect on injectors and intake valves/ports which are before the combustion chamber. Premium ( higher octane ) fuels burn slower and can leave more deposits under cruise conditions than lower ( manufacturer recommended ) octane fuels.
BTW, almost every fuel pump now in use is a "Blend Pump". Meaning the station has underground tanks for regular and premium. No midgrade. That midgrade is simply regular fuel with enough premium blended in to meet the advertised octane level. IF...everything is adjusted correctly.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Where are you guys finding 93, all the gas stations in my area only go up to 91?
It's available in some stations in Ark.
I'm in NWA, so not sure about the Southern part of the state.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I run 89 or 91 in my hybrid. I noticed a difference. I could never run 87 in my Kia or it would ping like crazy when it was hot out and was sluggish.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I run 89 or 91 in my hybrid. I noticed a difference. I could never run 87 in my Kia or it would ping like crazy when it was hot out and was sluggish.
The only way for you to truly notice a difference is if you are not aware of what fuel is in the truck. We have a built-in bias if we know what we are putting in the tank.

Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's available in some stations in Ark.
I'm in NWA, so not sure about the Southern part of the state.
In NJ Sunoco has 93. Sunco always had the highest octane around. Used to use Sunoco 260 in my 69 Z/28.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The only way for you to truly notice a difference is if you are not aware of what fuel is in the truck. We have a built-in bias if we know what we are putting in the tank.
100% this.

Also higher octane only plays a role at high output / wide open throttle conditions.

I don't drive a turbocharged engine.
But there is zero justification for higher octane in a hybrid. The electric motor is going to do a lot of the heavy work.

Even towing. Even towing 3300 lbs. Even towing a 3300 lbs high profile trailer up a 7% grade my hybrid was at like 50% power output at 60 mph. I used only 87 octane.

FordDiehard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where are you guys finding 93, all the gas stations in my area only go up to 91?
There is a Fuel Oil / Gasoline dealer near me that sells non-Ethanol 87 octane regular and 93 octane Premium. I average about 4 more mpg using the non-Ethanol in my Focus. The downside is it costs about $.50 more per gallon. I plan to try it in my Maverick once it's built.
Sponsored