First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Concerning this, Looking for a friend..... i am going to put 75lb sandbags in the bed of my maverick. Im thinking probably 4-6. I would like to add some weight to help get some traction, or grip on some tough spots where i live that is completely snow covered. Now i know its crazy, but i also ordered A/T BF goodrich Trail Terrain tires for my hybrid as well. What are your thoughts on sandbags to help add weight to the back?
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could actually negatively impact the performance by loading up the the rear and taking weight off of the drive (front) wheel(s).

I would only recommend adding mild weight to AWD if that.

Sponsored

upnash

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Dodge Grand Caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or you could try it if your problem is fish tailing in the snow. It might give more friction between the back tires and the road surface. If it doesn’t help then Oh we’ll you tried:)

Mightybeast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Concerning this, Looking for a friend..... i am going to put 75lb sandbags in the bed of my maverick. Im thinking probably 4-6. I would like to add some weight to help get some traction, or grip on some tough spots where i live that is completely snow covered. Now i know its crazy, but i also ordered A/T BF goodrich Trail Terrain tires for my hybrid as well. What are your thoughts on sandbags to help add weight to the back?
It sounds like reverse thinking. It is not a 4 wheel drive. Not even AWC. Put some Extra weight. On the passenger seat floor. Or you can shut down wheel traction control.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad always said the most helpless vehicle on earth is a two wheel drive pickup with no weight in the bed. No weight on the drive wheels means poor traction when its slippery.

But that is for rear wheel drive. As has been well noted above adding weight to the rear of a FWD truck will either do nothing or possibly reduce your traction.

Now if you really want to improve traction you could either get a good set of snow tires or pile those sandbags on the hood to increase the weight on the front axle.

(OK, the sandbags on the hood is a joke in case you missed it. Please don't do that.)

OP
OP
Outdoors_Jared

Outdoors_Jared

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't help but render my brain useless, I have never driven either a FWD or RWD car. Nor am I a car geek. Thanks for the responses. I also appreciate the counter-intuitive comments as well. Makes me feel even more like a no brain. Any who, I most likely won't buy the bags then. I've always driven a AWD.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any who, I most likely won't buy the bags then.
I remember when AWD was the new gimmick............ I feel old.

All fun aside those sandbags are not useless. Lots of people toss a couple in the trunk so they have some sand to throw on the ice if they need it. I don't think they will help you weight-wise like you thought but still not a completely bad idea.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Outdoors_Jared

Outdoors_Jared

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I remember when AWD was the new gimmick............ I feel old.

All fun aside those sandbags are not useless. Lots of people toss a couple in the trunk so they have some sand to throw on the ice if they need it. I don't think they will help you weight-wise like you thought but still not a completely bad idea.

Lol yeah that is probably the best use for the sand is to get "unstuck" i suppose. I didnt think of that, but yeah i guess i just posted to see if i should or not to buy them to add weight. Good thing i did, so my brain was doing its job i suppose for posting. :ROFLMAO:

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't bother, it's counterproductive.

The tires are a good idea.

OpieGoneBad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No need for weight in the bed as it is front wheel drive. The engine weight is over the drive wheels.

23MAVLariatAWD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RECEIVED '23 Hybrid Lariat Mav Oxford White BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires they're top rated for snow and rain -- had them before they're awesome tires. Checkout consumer reports mag- April'22

Last edited:

TonyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually, a couple of bags of sand or gravel in a vehicle - regardless of type of vehicle or drive wheel system - is is a good idea in areas that get a fair amount of snow or ice. Not for weight. But to throw under and in front of the tires in case you get stuck.

I was surprised - when I looked it up - that Minnesota doesn't allow studded snow tires in winter months. So a few bags of gravel or sand along with a shovel seem wise to keep in the bed. And it's a pickup truck rated for 1500 pounds. 200-400 pounds in the bed isn't affecting anything as far as handling or traction - except maybe making it ride a bit smoother.
Sponsored