First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My guess is they would want to make it on the Rav platform. Corolla cross not very big and they hybrid version not as good as Rav. Your better off going up to a Rav. Just my opinion.
The Cross platform would probably be more in line with the Santa Cruz, whereas the RAV4 platform might offer a better bed size depending on configuration. A 5'5" bed on the Maverick would have been the sweet spot, although I have no complaints with my trucklett...with the exception of wanting a camper top, but I'm sure as hell not spending $3449 for one. Overprice much, Ford?
Sponsored

08ranger

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat, Hot Pepper Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OP
OP

XLTMAV

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla (2)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
VW had one too many years ago.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought the Tacoma was a compact. It’s small, very small. Just sits on a frame.

Sponsored

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I passed this on the road today, never seen one in person before. Looks about same size as Maverick.
A Rivian all elecric, starting at 67,000! Don't think it will replace the 20k Mav, but looked cool.
1654397051135.png
I can't stand the front end of this thing, down right fugly.

OP
OP

XLTMAV

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla (2)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought the Tacoma was a compact. It’s small, very small. Just sits on a frame.
It's now considered a midsized truck. Odd right, because of the lack of passenger space.

WaitingHaulDogs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tucson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they can put in AWD Hybrid for $28k-$30k, drives well, nicer interior and look like a mini Tacoma/Hilux and not a “RAV-4 with a pickup bed” monstrosity, I may seriously consider it in the future. However I won’t expect this truck to be out for another few years (if they haven’t already started R&D on it) and we’d want a new truck as soon as next year. For Toyota it’s a no-brainer and they’ll sell every one they can make.
Loved my Tacoma... never should have sold it.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, some think it will be better than the Maverick. We'll have to wait and see the specs when it's revealed.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/new-small-toyota-truck-better-ford-maverick/
The imperative word in the title and entire article is "could". There is nothing in the article even suggesting why or how a Toyota competitor would be better than the Maverick, it just discusses how Toyota has dominated the non full-sized truck market for a few decades. I don't doubt a Toyota competitor could be better, but I seriously doubt Toyota will bring a true competitor for my truck (hybrid XLT) to the market at anywhere close to the same pricepoint.

I would bet all of my assets that Toyota's offering will not be better for those of us wanting a <$25k fuel efficient compact truck. If Toyota came out with a true competitor, I'd have a Toyota instead of a Ford in my garage right now (same thing with Hyundai) - they did not and I doubt they will anytime soon.

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why can't they just make the old pickup again with a modern engine and call it good? My hilux has over 589K miles on it.
Because there's not enough margin.

Sorta like housing. Sure, developers could build affordable houses, but there's not enough margin for them to feel like they're getting rich enough. And while my wife and I and the average Millennial would be ok with a shotgun house that they can actually own, the people who control the supply aren't.

Sponsored

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't stand the front end of this thing, down right fugly.
I don't think I'd call it ugly. Strange. Odd, maybe. I think its something we will have to get use to, as more and more electric vehicles are coming on the road, and the lack of radiator/grill just looks odd to me. Its like they don't have a face!

Wessss

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Remember when the Explorer came out? Ford caught everyone with their pants down. How about the Model T, 64 Mustang, 32 Ford and now the Maverick. Too bad these circumstances are keeping them from killing the market and allowing the others to catch up.

Just my thoughts.
Well said

Pastor_Zatx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Toyota is where fun goes to die. Boring. Bland. And woefully behind in technology. If you think the maverick XL sync 2 is antiquated get in a brand new Toyota and turn on the radio. They still have LCD closed clock displays!

Last edited:

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The imperative word in the title and entire article is "could". There is nothing in the article even suggesting why or how a Toyota competitor would be better than the Maverick, it just discusses how Toyota has dominated the non full-sized truck market for a few decades. I don't doubt a Toyota competitor could be better, but I seriously doubt Toyota will bring a true competitor for my truck (hybrid XLT) to the market at anywhere close to the same pricepoint.

I would bet all of my assets that Toyota's offering will not be better for those of us wanting a <$25k fuel efficient compact truck. If Toyota came out with a true competitor, I'd have a Toyota instead of a Ford in my garage right now (same thing with Hyundai) - they did not and I doubt they will anytime soon.
Exactly. Based on history the Toyota would be more reliable, better built (fit and finish), more expensive and slightly behind the market with tech goodies. Also my guess is it would be closer to the Hyundai (looks wise).
Personal preference but for years my wife and I joke about how gawd awful the Honda Ridgeline looks….the Hyundai is it’s cousin.
If I am wrong and the Toyota product is more “Maverick’ish” and hybrid or electric I will seriously consider getting one.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It probably will be a small interior . that's why I bought a f150 before because it fit me better Than a tundra or taco . 33 inch inseam could not stretch my legs out straight . f150 had room to spare and it was 6k cheaper than tundra . you can buy a lot of quality for 6k. Sold f150 and I was looking for a replacement vehicle ( Ravi 4 , Forrester or something that could do light towing and get better mpg ) . once I was able to sit (maverick ) in one and see I fit. It was a no brainer . Had opportunity to purchase maverick and did (10/30/21 ) . eco boost , awd , fx4 , xlt , 360 , hitch , full spare , ford mats , armour tonneau and bugflector for under 32k out the door .
Sponsored