First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see how a computer programming can detect a future/soon bearing failure issue. Possibly something related to the "knock sensor" so when the rod bearing starts to make noise it's detected or maybe oil pressure loss? Keep in mind, I was a shop mechanic in early 70's and there were several cars that had 4 cylinder engines that ran so rough and no power I said no way will a 4 cyl ever work. Then later when there was talk of engines with no distributor we all said no way, how will plugs be fired. Guess the answer is don't under estimate what future technology can do.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see how a computer programming can detect a future/soon bearing failure issue. Possibly something related to the "knock sensor" so when the rod bearing starts to make noise it's detected or maybe oil pressure loss? Keep in mind, I was a shop mechanic in early 70's and there were several cars that had 4 cylinder engines that ran so rough and no power I said no way will a 4 cyl ever work. Then later when there was talk of engines with no distributor we all said no way, how will plugs be fired. Guess the answer is don't estimate what future technology can do.
I would expect that the knock sensor picks up engine vibrations and the program searches for the "knock" vibrations. Program change to isolate the upcoming bearing vibrations related to the fire??? Worst case would be having to add an additional sensor and change program to test it.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see how a computer programming can detect a future/soon bearing failure issue. Possibly something related to the "knock sensor" so when the rod bearing starts to make noise it's detected or maybe oil pressure loss? Keep in mind, I was a shop mechanic in early 70's and there were several cars that had 4 cylinder engines that ran so rough and no power I said no way will a 4 cyl ever work. Then later when there was talk of engines with no distributor we all said no way, how will plugs be fired. Guess the answer is don't estimate what future technology can do.
A shop mechanic is not an engineer.

I was a "Field Engineer" for Burroughs (which became Unisys). Even though my title had engineering in it I was a glorified repair man. I did not engineer the equipment I repaired.

Teams of engineers at Ford worked on finding a way to detect the problem.

Try reading the entire description of their process (identify, detect, test, conclusion)

#1 - (Identify) Ford’s Internal Combustion Powertrain and Powertrain Controls Engineering teams tested several engines and analyzed historical calibration data to characterize connecting rod bearing failures for all cylinders.

#2 - (Detect) The team used these findings to develop a connecting rod bearing failure detection algorithm which will limit engine speed/load after detecting a bearing that is in the process of failing

#3 - (Test) Once the software was developed, the engineering teams tested its effectiveness through dynamometer and vehicle testing

#4 - (Conclusion) The results of the testing indicate that this algorithm will detect a connecting rod bearing failure and protect the engine from a block breach

May – November 2023: Ford’s Internal Combustion Powertrain and Powertrain Controls Engineering teams tested several engines and analyzed historical calibration data to characterize connecting rod bearing failures for all cylinders.

The team used these findings to develop a connecting rod bearing failure detection algorithm which will limit engine speed/load after detecting a bearing that is in the process of failing, and provide notification to the driver.

Once the software was developed, the engineering teams tested its effectiveness through dynamometer and vehicle testing.

The results of the testing indicate that this algorithm will detect a connecting rod bearing failure and protect the engine from a block breach.

Sponsored

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A shop mechanic is not an engineer.

I was a "Field Engineer" for Burroughs (which became Unisys). Even though my title had engineering in it I was a glorified repair man. I did not engineer the equipment I repaired.

Teams of engineers at Ford worked on finding a way to detect the problem.

Try reading the entire description of their process (identify, detect, test, conclusion)

#1 - (Identify) Ford’s Internal Combustion Powertrain and Powertrain Controls Engineering teams tested several engines and analyzed historical calibration data to characterize connecting rod bearing failures for all cylinders.

#2 - (Detect) The team used these findings to develop a connecting rod bearing failure detection algorithm which will limit engine speed/load after detecting a bearing that is in the process of failing

#3 - (Test) Once the software was developed, the engineering teams tested its effectiveness through dynamometer and vehicle testing

#4 - (Conclusion) The results of the testing indicate that this algorithm will detect a connecting rod bearing failure and protect the engine from a block breach
OK, I never said a "shop mechanic" was in any way an engineer however many engineering designs fail miserably when put in actual use practices. I can tell you of many.

One can read all you want about the process FoMoCo has gone through to come up with an "algorithm" to DETECT an issue, not before it starts but rather AFTER it starts to FAIL. Apparently FoMoCO hopes to catch ("detect") the issue before major engine block damage and a fire occurs, both good things but does not prevent major engine repair being required. Just as cutting holes in the "under engine cover" and cutting the grille didn't solve a problem, the intent was to lessen potential fire.

Your statement "Teams of engineers at Ford worked on finding a way to detect the problem" is what it says, a way to "detect". I and others can read as you suggest I do but that won't change the fact that some engines may fail and FoMoCo hopes the vehicle won't catch on fire!

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Okay, we get it, you two aren't going to agree. Move on.

I think anyone who gets vehicles even slightly understands that this software will not eliminate the possibility of engine failure. Ford is doing the minimum to meet NHTSA requirements, which is exactly what I was expecting.

Ted Lewis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2022 Nissan Leaf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Letter just came in the mail today.
I wonder what the fix is going to be?

IMG_5261.jpeg
Looks about the same as the letter I received dated June 2023 from these nice people. Saves time if you can just copy previous correspondence. What fools we are.

Sventinker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All affected units should have blown up already. It's been a year.
I have 29k in a year, guess I am in the clear. Wish they could figure out the other problems. I do have another appointment with a different dealership.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Letter just came in the mail today.
I wonder what the fix is going to be?

IMG_5261.jpeg
I've gotten two letters for the same thing so far and still standing by with my fire extinguisher at the ready! 😝

Sponsored

Gvmumbral

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I might have been one of the unlucky ones to get this engine failure...

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Hybrid Engine Failure/Fire Update Recall Letter (Received 2/12/24) Screenshot_20240309_134926_FordPass

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Hybrid Engine Failure/Fire Update Recall Letter (Received 2/12/24) Screenshot_20240309_233916_FordPass

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, I think that's the conclusion most of us came to when the second recall for the issue came out last summer. One things for sure, say goodbye to long term resale value on any vehicle with this recall, because in the mind of any informed buyer these are ticking time bombs, regardless of whether they are or not.
Fortunately, most potential buyers will be uninformed.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read that this "fix" is to mitigate the fire risk of the engine failure, not anything to do with the preventing the failure itself.
It hopes to provide some capability to safely stop and evacuate the vehicle without it fire-balling.
Sponsored