First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An interesting tid-bit was that Ford will be going with Google software starting in MY23. No more MS-Sync apparently.
Sponsored

nubbuchadnezzar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid, Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing which hasn't been mentioned in shortages is screens.

I would assume Ford used a screen which they are able to produce quickly and cheaply. The same screen has been used in a number of Ford vehicles for years. My dad's F-150 (2016?) has the 8" screen, my 2018 Transit had one and so did my 2019 Fusion.

Ford will likely transition over to larger and 'nicer' screens down the road, but I imagine they'll reserve these for higher-priced models or trim levels as long as possible.

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S has a 7" screen, so the current 8" screen in the Maverick is an upgrade for me.

Mrkosmoo2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Trim
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They should have gone with the most modern screen/sync tech, at least with the Lariat. Didn't make any sense to deploy something that is known to have issues.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I prefer the current sized screen with the cubby. I am not a fan of big screens in vehicles. much larger than a double-din is overkill.

The only things I would change is increase the position angle a bit, maybe angle it about 5 degrees higher for those of us who like to sit high and add Android Auto/CarPlay Wireless. Otherwise, its perfect the way it is now IMO.
I have to agree with you. In fact, my neighbor has a fairly new F-150 and dislikes the bigger screen. Too distracting and too much information noise, he says.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They should have gone with the most modern screen/sync tech, at least with the Lariat. Didn't make any sense to deploy something that is known to have issues.
I haven't had any issues with my lariat screen (other than complaining here that it's a little small) or sync3. From comments I've read, it sounds like the lariat screen may actually be superior to the lower trims - brighter/better contrast. Plus you don't get sync3 with the lower trims, so that's an upgrade

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I still say the screen is too small. Also should have came with Nav. The cubby is also too dinky to do much with. I don't think the 22' will age all that well when they are not so constrained as to how the compromised looks of it are replaced with probably what they planned the entire time. I am glad we have physical buttons/knobs though.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't had any issues with my lariat screen (other than complaining here that it's a little small) or sync3. From comments I've read, it sounds like the lariat screen may actually be superior to the lower trims - brighter/better contrast. Plus you don't get sync3 with the lower trims, so that's an upgrade
Same, resolution is fine in my Lariat and the system has been bug free (knock on wood).

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What the designers wanted, then we got what the bean counters determine as being good enough. I do like the modern look of the drawings....

CatsupGladiator

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Caravan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks more like dual cubbies / phone docks flanking each side of the screen to me, but that likely got axed as it might encourage / create opportunities for distracted driving. not to mentions issues with what port the phone has, and will my brand / model fit in the dock.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would sacrifice a bigger screen for a higher quality one. I find the screen resolution lacking and wish it had better contrast for those super bright days.
LCD's are so incredibly cheap now there's really not a good reason to skimp on either. I think it just happened to be what they had leftover due to the chip shortage. Perhaps next model year will get a bigger screen although ideally i would like to have a ranger portrait style screen.

chrisehyoung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Lux, Copilot, Shadow black
LCD's are so incredibly cheap now there's really not a good reason to skimp on either. I think it just happened to be what they had leftover due to the chip shortage. Perhaps next model year will get a bigger screen although ideally i would like to have a ranger portrait style screen.
My last car was a 2018 Kia and it had a 8.25" screen with way better resolution and contrast. I was a little surprised to go to a car 4 years newer and have a lower quality screen. The truck has a lot of strong points but its weaknesses are kind of surprising. Though I guess these are how they kept costs down.