First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great idea! I'll take two. A lefty and a righty.

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Honestly, that $15 tie-down looks identical to the ones that sell on Amazon 5 for $10 or 10 for $17. Maybe I should open an Etsy store?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQT248F/

I didn't like the idea of the loop flopping around or maybe getting closed in the gate -- if that's possible. A solid tie-down seemed like a better idea to me. But it looks like it works...

Sponsored

BrianK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hot Pepper Red hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, that $15 tie-down looks identical to the ones that sell on Amazon 5 for $10 or 10 for $17. Maybe I should open an Etsy store?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQT248F/

I didn't like the idea of the loop flopping around or maybe getting closed in the gate -- if that's possible. A solid tie-down seemed like a better idea to me. But it looks like it works...
Too true on the Etsy store! I got the link to the Etsy product in another thread and just ordered it without shopping around. I haven't noticed any flopping around though and it isn't long enough to get caught in the tailgate.

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Too true on the Etsy store! I got the link to the Etsy product in another thread and just ordered it without shopping around. I haven't noticed any flopping around though and it isn't long enough to get caught in the tailgate.
Sounds like I was worried for nothing. Maybe I should have done more homework! Either way we got nice solutions, one is just a little more custom.

Vickram

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blk 23 Mav Lariat , 09 Escape ,72 honda 350 cycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just installed the tailgate assist dampener and learned I would lose one of the tiedowns which was a no go. Found the thread where Chandonnet came up with a really nice solution, unfortunately he doesn't seem to be selling them anymore. I came up with something based on his design using a scrap of 1/8" mild steel plate and a link from a tow chain, both of which I already have. Power tools used were a drill, angle grinder and MIG welder. Painted them up with some paint I had on hand and think they turned out pretty nice for being done by a woodworker, not the prettiest but plenty strong, no sharp edges, and only cost me an hour or two of my time.
PXL_20231002_204931585.jpg
PXL_20231002_204927563.jpg
PXL_20231002_205001967~2.jpg
I just installed the tailgate assist dampener and learned I would lose one of the tiedowns which was a no go. Found the thread where Chandonnet came up with a really nice solution, unfortunately he doesn't seem to be selling them anymore. I came up with something based on his design using a scrap of 1/8" mild steel plate and a link from a tow chain, both of which I already have. Power tools used were a drill, angle grinder and MIG welder. Painted them up with some paint I had on hand and think they turned out pretty nice for being done by a woodworker, not the prettiest but plenty strong, no sharp edges, and only cost me an hour or two of my time.
PXL_20231002_204931585.jpg
PXL_20231002_204927563.jpg
PXL_20231002_205001967~2.jpg
Dean ,good thinking . Why don't you make up a few dozen and sell them on E-bay , or take them to any future Maverick meets . I think you would sell a lot . You know some big company is looking into doing exactly what you did .

OP
OP
Dean S

Dean S

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw those when searching for a ready to go solution, I wouldn't trust the one screw which the ratchet strap would be pulling straight out, at least on the side it would have to shear it. Of course it could be plenty strong and a non issue but I would be paranoid about it. I had considered just leaving the factory one in the glove box with a T30 screwdriver and reinstalling when needed but thought it would be too inconvenient.

OP
OP
Dean S

Dean S

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dean ,good thinking . Why don't you make up a few dozen and sell them on E-bay , or take them to any future Maverick meets . I think you would sell a lot . You know some big company is looking into doing exactly what you did .
I did make a small batch that I'm selling in the marketplace forum, have 2 left right now. I don't think I'll make more after this, hard to find the time and postage rates and PayPal fees make them expensive. It would be nice to see DeeZee just include one in the kit for an extra couple bucks.

Sponsored

Deftallica

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used these hooks from Amazon in its place. Work pretty well, though on the tailgate will ocassionally get hung up on the the cable. They also work really well in various points in the bed.

https://a.co/d/3045eru
Sponsored