First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found something very interesting in FORScan with how my truck is configured. I've dealt with "Deep Sleep" and no start issues frequently in the year that I've owned the truck.

My truck's unmodified Bdycm module information is attached. FORScan reports the Bdycm thinks the factory installed battery in my hybrid is AGM, and reports an incorrectly configured battery type. The battery SOC is also being limited to 80%. The stock battery in the hybrid is a BXT99RT4A, which is FLA.

Is there anyone here with a Maverick hybrid, FORScan, and not having deep sleep issues? Would they be able to check their battery settings in FORscan?

AGMHa.PNG
Great find! Please be sure to reply to this thread to let us know how it goes if you experiment with any settings.
Sponsored

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just checked, 2022 Hybrid, and it shows AGM. I dont have an AGM battery.

Not sure if anyone with a Hybrid has changed this?
If I start getting deep sleep messages again I will definitely change it.

Crazy that this is still an issue two and a half years later.
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/...attery-with-larger-group-48-agm.117248/page-3
IMG20231119150122.jpg
Thanks for sharing this with us. Iā€™ve been plagued by deep sleep and dead battery issues ever since getting my maverick. It gives me hope that weā€™re starting to learn more about this issue.

Please be sure to reply to this thread with your results if you start experimenting.

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is a ScanGaugeIII (version 3) in this image above.

It pulls data from the OBDII port.
Okay, great. Iā€™m wondering if your findings indicate that your battery is bad. Iā€™ve seen your posts before where you show that your battery voltage drops down to the low 12s, and sometimes even into the 11s, shortly after shutting off your vehicle. If the vehicle is keeping the battery above 14v while driving then I would expect it to be charging at above 1A, especially considering that the SOC is relatively low in your picture.

I think this might indicate that your battery has high internal resistance and therefore canā€™t charge effectively. Maybe your battery is sulfated. I have dead battery and deep sleep issues in my maverick, so I likely have the same thing going on.

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just checked, 2022 Hybrid, and it shows AGM. I dont have an AGM battery.

Not sure if anyone with a Hybrid has changed this?
If I start getting deep sleep messages again I will definitely change it.

Crazy that this is still an issue two and a half years later.
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/...attery-with-larger-group-48-agm.117248/page-3
IMG20231119150122.jpg

Looking around there are a ton of topics on the subject. It seems that you should select correct type AGM or standard but according to some sources you might be able to go deeper and selected size / CCA as well.

Some even adjust SOC to above 80%, and others disable the BMS altogether.

If this is indeed source of Ford's deep sleep problems (incorrect forescan settings for battery) that would be odd. A TSB would be out by now..

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79619

Then you have this post. 2nd one on page 2....
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22744&start=10

acapaldi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great find! Please be sure to reply to this thread to let us know how it goes if you experiment with any settings.
Will do! I've switched to a target SOC of 90% and a battery chemistry of flooded. My battery is already damaged and not holding a charge very well. We'll see if it goes into deep sleep sooner than it has the past few weeks.

One more thing, I looked into the incorrect/not configured battery error. The code in the Bdycm for my Maverick is 726-02-01 0707 0909 0C5C, with the 0707 being the setting for "Battery Type Factory" and "Battery Type Normal". This is the list of battery types taken from an Explorer forum.

Ford Maverick Deep Sleep Poll Hybrid Owners 1700447459815

07 doesn't appear in the drop down list in FORScan, but from this it corresponds to a 43AH T4 size battery, matches the specs of the BXT99RT4A. Strange that while the code pertains to a real battery type, it reports it as incorrect.

Sponsored

Jeffrey

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty much had deep sleep mode for over a month straight, bought a battery tender which fixed it for a day and a half before it came back today. Made an appointment for next week at the dealer so I don't need to use the battery tender every night.

Scout27

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
'23 hybrid Lariat w/ lux pkg here. August 2023 build, so it should be way past the harness issue and earlier recalls. I haven't had it quite 3 months and as winter has approached I've had several of the Deep Sleep messages in the last few weeks. When this occurs, most everything is dark inside and the last time I couldn't even unlock the doors with the passenger side door handle - unlocking it with the fob worked ok. This was on a chilly night and I was trying to get home from an event. It has always started in this condition but it has me plenty worried. I don't want to get stuck in some outlying area in wintertime with potentially no-start condition. The only thing that I can for sure state is that all of my Deep Sleep issues have happened while I've been using the heated seats and heated steering wheel during the previous drive. These features are part of what I paid for and expect to work - like they have for many previous vehicles. Evidently, the 12v charging system can't keep up with the heavy draw from those heating features?????? Also, since Ford hasn't changed the cheaply made batteries for the Maverick hybrid (built to a price point, remember?) maybe the current batteries don't have enough capacity to hang in there with the draws that occur in these vehicles. I've read many threads in this forum about this condition and cringe to hear that so many dealers are changing out batteries sometimes several times and the issues keep occurring. The time it takes to bring it to the dealer, have them check it out, replace the lousy battery with another lousy battery is not appealing to me. I may indeed save myself the time and frustration and just purchase the DieHard battery that some have said took care of their issue. I hate it, but I don't like the inconvenient dealership service visits - especially since they can only replace the battery with the same lousy battery. And, they may not change out the battery anyway since so far it has always started during this deep sleep mode.

Do any of you have any opinion about this happening only when using a large draw like heated seats and steering wheel? I love this truck but these electrical / battery / undercharging gremlins really have me concerned.

BillR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Received our Lariat Hybrid April 2022 and over the past months the deep sleep issue showed up more and more and after reading all the issues concerning this problem I purchased around a month ago "at my expense" a new DieHard battery specifically designed for my truck and since then everything is working fine. (did the BSM reset immediately after installing the new battery) A friend of mine had the same issue with his Maverick hybrid and I replaced his battery over a couple of weeks ago and now his like mine has been fine. No more "deep sleep" issues and interior lights always come on. (Battery cost me $230.00 to cover a warranty problem!! Disappointing!! :() I was told originally and on the FORD APP I needed to drive the vehicle more to charge the battery which is a lame excuse while buying a hybrids save money on gas. Interesting we also have a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 hybrid and have have had no issues such as this.

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No dead battery, just notification that remote features are disabled. Also noticed that the door lock/unlock only works on driver side until i drive vehicle for a while. i have never seen the problem randomly as others have reported.
I have the same problem with my MY22. Also, my interior lights don't come on when I open the door in the dead of night, which urks me! Does the TSB for this do any good?

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have the same problem with my MY22. Also, my interior lights don't come on when I open the door in the dead of night, which urks me! Does the TSB for this do any good?
Quite a few of us out here waiting for that answer!

Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't read all 10 pages yet but this thread has me wondering if I should make an appointment at the dealership. I have a 2023 Lariat Hybrid and for about the past two months I've been getting the message on the app roughly one a week about remote features being disabled. The truck always starts when I get it in after getting that message. Also I drive the truck at least 15 miles every day and most days more than that. The last time I got in the truck I noticed the interior lights didn't come on. Should I contact the dealership to have them look at it or are they just going to say there is no issue?
I'll call them this week. I'm concerned they'll just give the standard answer that dealerships sometimes give of "Couldn't replicate the issue".
I finally got an appointment at the dealership on Friday and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem (as expected) however they did reprogram the TCM based on Ford's Special Service Message SSM 51725. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10237977-0001.pdf
So now I'll have to see if this solves the problem or if I continue to get the deep sleep message.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I finally got an appointment at the dealership on Friday and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem (as expected) however they did reprogram the TCM based on Ford's Special Service Message SSM 51725. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10237977-0001.pdf
So now I'll have to see if this solves the problem or if I continue to get the deep sleep message.
That SSM says it only pertains to Mavs with synch 3.
What about the rest of us?
Would applying the reprogramming to our trucks help?

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That SSM says it only pertains to Mavs with synch 3.
What about the rest of us?
Would applying the reprogramming to our trucks help?
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Seeing as that SSM specifically says SYNC3 equipped vehicles, I'll have to say it would not apply to you. But you should check with your dealership service department to see if there is a similar SSM or TSB for your specific model.

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As somebody who has had their Maverick at the dealership 5 times for deep sleep mode/dead battery issues, and also had Ford engineers travel to my dealership to work on my truck multiple times, I can assure everyone that none of the current TSBs or SSMs solve these issues.

I started multiple customer support cases with Ford as a result of this issue, but they all got closed without any resolution. HOWEVER, I did have one customer support agent randomly call me late at night a couple weeks after closing my case. She told me that she had just worked on another case for another maverick owner with the EXACT SAME dead battery/deep sleep issues that many of us are experiencing. She said that he went through multiple dealerships and repair attempts before trying a new dealership. The last dealership that he tried said something like, ā€œOh, these OEM batteries are junk. Letā€™s get you an aftermarket battery.ā€ They put in an aftermarket battery and his issues totally went away.

I asked the support agent to email me that story so that I could show it to my dealership and try to get them to buy me an aftermarket battery. She told me she would, but then never followed up. Presumably because she realized it would not be a good look to tell me in writing that Ford recognizes that they supplied all of these vehicles with inadequate 12V batteries.

Anyway, I donā€™t think anybody has had an aftermarket 12V battery installed for long enough to conclusively prove that it is a fix. It is possible that the aftermarket battery could just be more robust or slightly higher capacity, and therefore it hides the inherent issues with the mavericks electrical system. Only time will tell if aftermarket batteries are an actual fix and not a bandaid.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As somebody who has had their Maverick at the dealership 5 times for deep sleep mode/dead battery issues, and also had Ford engineers travel to my dealership to work on my truck multiple times, I can assure everyone that none of the current TSBs or SSMs solve these issues.

I started multiple customer support cases with Ford as a result of this issue, but they all got closed without any resolution. HOWEVER, I did have one customer support agent randomly call me late at night a couple weeks after closing my case. She told me that she had just worked on another case for another maverick owner with the EXACT SAME dead battery/deep sleep issues that many of us are experiencing. She said that he went through multiple dealerships and repair attempts before trying a new dealership. The last dealership that he tried said something like, ā€œOh, these OEM batteries are junk. Letā€™s get you an aftermarket battery.ā€ They put in an aftermarket battery and his issues totally went away.

I asked the support agent to email me that story so that I could show it to my dealership and try to get them to buy me an aftermarket battery. She told me she would, but then never followed up. Presumably because she realized it would not be a good look to tell me in writing that Ford recognizes that they supplied all of these vehicles with inadequate 12V batteries.

Anyway, I donā€™t think anybody has had an aftermarket 12V battery installed for long enough to conclusively prove that it is a fix. It is possible that the aftermarket battery could just be more robust or slightly higher capacity, and therefore it hides the inherent issues with the mavericks electrical system. Only time will tell if aftermarket batteries are an actual fix and not a bandaid.
It would be nice if this were just that simple.
But, as Iā€™ve stated elsewhere, I believe that a larger, stronger, better battery would only delay the same result.
However, perhaps an AGM, or some such newer technology (and they are out there!) would solve the problem, to the point where we will be back in familiar territory, replacing the battery every 5+/- years.
Time (and Ford) will tell.
Sponsored