Sponsored

Common problems - Are you concerned?

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
what about Torque Steer? Nobody has even mentioned it, but it is inherent negative characteristic of transverse mounted FWD. I can't imagine adding twin turbos not making it worse. I-3 with cylinder deactivation seems un-wise. Only known work arounds are full time AWD or low mounted flat boxer configuration motors like Subaru.
I have a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST with a 197 horsepower ecoboost engine and 230 lb of torque. It is a very entertaining car! You can make it torque steer, but to do so you have to be trying to go damn fast. It is more obvious when you are also trying to corner hard, not a situation that is likely to occur very often in typical truck use. My two cents worth.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yeah, from what I understand it is most obvious when rounding a corner and stepping on the gas and you feel the tug of the steering wheel in your hands. Also on "jack rabbit starts" from a dead start if you have a lead foot. Now I'd never investigated before since I wasn't in the market for any vehicle with a tranverse motor and FWD, until this Maverick. None of my old info was on turbocharged motors either, so glad to hear personal experience on this.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Pre-July 2019 1.5 & 2.0 4-cyl EB's suffered from "coolant intrusion", due to the head gasket failing between cylinders. There was a saw cut in the block, that after July 2019 was changed to a drilled hole design. I had a 1.5EB replaced at 25K in my Escape (6 weeks), but I have heard of no problems since then with the updated design.

HRG
Hi Terry, I've been reading up on the coolant intrusion issue and am wondering: Did getting rid of the groove and drilling a hole for coolant passage really solve the problem? It's still an open deck block. I can see how there is more surface for the gasket to mate but do you think the problem is gone?

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi Terry, I've been reading up on the coolant intrusion issue and am wondering: Did getting rid of the groove and drilling a hole for coolant passage really solve the problem? It's still an open deck block. I can see how there is more surface for the gasket to mate but do you think the problem is gone?
Jimmy,
I guess only tell will tell. I've got about 12K on 'er after the short block replacement, and so far so good. I DID purchase a Ford Extended warranty just for some longer-term peace of mind.

HRG

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Dually
I'm not a big fan of towing at capacity with a (gasoline) turbocharged engine. I think they are fine for loads of 50% of capacity somewhat regularly, but I would not make a habit of capacity towing with such an engine. If that's your use case, I'd look at a truck with a larger towing capacity. The Bronco Sport with the 2.0T has a towing capacity of 2,200 pounds. I suspect that the Maverick is going to fall somewhere around 3,000. That means that the Maverick will be fine towing a dirtbike trailer or something similar.
With the 2.0L EB the towing capacity is 2000 pounds unless you get the towing package which bumps it up to 4000 pounds.

Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
My estimate was posted a month prior to the release of data.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I'm with ya. Even towing 2000 I would want the tow package just for the extra cooling.

And I had read in one ad that the Mav can pull "a typical 23 foot trailer". That is ludicrous!

Houston-Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 GMC Sierra, 2018 RAV4, 2011 Avalanche
There appears to be a Class Action Lawsuit on the 2.0 Eco-Boost engine in specific Ford vehicles, I believe it may have been filed earlier this year and affects engines up to 2019. Is this the same engine used in the Bronco Sport and Maverick? If so, is anyone aware of a design change in the engine for these two vehicles? I've also seen write ups on carbon buildup from the Direct Injection system, sounds like a good recommendation for Tier one Premium fuel. In my state, that would add approximately .60 to the gallon.
So an oil knock-out canister by Mishimoto will definitely be installed at the earliest opportunity

Dnedzel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, FX4, AWD, Tow Pkg, Lux, Copilot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I started looking up common problems for the 2.0 Ecoboost and found this article. This sounds like a real problem for a truck that will be doing some towing. Is anyone else concerned? Do you think Ford will address this issue?

2.0 EcoBoost Cracked Exhaust Manifold
Both generations of the 2.0 EB have an integrated exhaust manifold design. The manifold is made of stainless steel and integrated directly into the cylinder head. Note on European version of this engine, the exhaust manifold is not integrated, using a tradition cylinder head with individual exhaust ports and a conventional manifold.

On the 2.0 EB, exhaust gas temps can reach excessive temperatures, especially when towing or driving up grades. The constant heat cycles created by engines and fluctuating temperatures expands and contracts the stainless steel exhaust manifold. When you combine the continuous expansion and contraction with a vibrating engine, the exhaust manifold can form hairline cracks.

When an exhaust manifold cracks, air begins to seep out of the crack instead of flowing out of the exhaust. While this is not healthy for the environment, it also has significant performance and drivability implications. Turbochargers need back-pressure to operate efficiently. When the exhaust manifold cracks, all back-pressure is lost which means the turbo has to work extra hard to produce normal power levels

https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/
Here's my two cents. With the tow package you get a bigger radiator, cooling fan, transmission cooler and shorter final drive ratio. The bigger radiator, cooling fan and transmission cooler should reduce the temperature the engine runs at.

In the article above it refers to an integrated exhaust manifold. If I understand this correctly, the exhaust manifold is part of the cylinder head. If so, then the cracks would be in the cylinder head rather than in a conventional separate exhaust manifold - aluminum alloy will fail before stainless steel will. If a crack formed in the cylinder head, this would be a catastrophic engine failure, not just exhaust seeping out of the crack. The cylinder head is aluminium alloy, but the integrated exhaust manifold is stainless steel? Wait what? if the manifold is built into the head, how can it be of a different material? Do they mean the exhaust manifold portion of the cylinder head is sleeved with stainless steel?

I may be way off here, but their description of the issue seems at least incomplete. The good news is that the engine has been used very widely in many different cars. So, hopefully, this issue would have been resolved by now. I am sure Ford doesn't want to pay for lots of warranty claims from thousands of owners.

Dnedzel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not a big fan of towing at capacity with a (gasoline) turbocharged engine. I think they are fine for loads of 50% of capacity somewhat regularly, but I would not make a habit of capacity towing with such an engine. If that's your use case, I'd look at a truck with a larger towing capacity. The Bronco Sport with the 2.0T has a towing capacity of 2,200 pounds. I suspect that the Maverick is going to fall somewhere around 3,000. That means that the Maverick will be fine towing a dirtbike trailer or something similar.
Towing capacity of the Maverick is quoted by the factory at 2000 lbs for the hybrid, 4000 lbs for the gas engine with the towing package. It all depends on how much you intend to tow. I agree, I wouldn't tow right at the top of the tow capacity. Also, you need to consider the tongue weight of your trailer. The weight of the Maverick, the contents (people, luggage, gear in the bed, etc) plus the tongue weight should not exceed tour Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) as identified on your truck's door frame label. Here is a nice article on the GMC website laying out the basics of towing:

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/understanding-gross-vehicle-weight-rating

Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Here's my two cents. With the tow package you get a bigger radiator, cooling fan, transmission cooler and shorter final drive ratio. The bigger radiator, cooling fan and transmission cooler should reduce the temperature the engine runs at.

In the article above it refers to an integrated exhaust manifold. If I understand this correctly, the exhaust manifold is part of the cylinder head. If so, then the cracks would be in the cylinder head rather than in a conventional separate exhaust manifold - aluminum alloy will fail before stainless steel will. If a crack formed in the cylinder head, this would be a catastrophic engine failure, not just exhaust seeping out of the crack. The cylinder head is aluminium alloy, but the integrated exhaust manifold is stainless steel? Wait what? if the manifold is built into the head, how can it be of a different material? Do they mean the exhaust manifold portion of the cylinder head is sleeved with stainless steel?

I may be way off here, but their description of the issue seems at least incomplete. The good news is that the engine has been used very widely in many different cars. So, hopefully, this issue would have been resolved by now. I am sure Ford doesn't want to pay for lots of warranty claims from thousands of owners.
Yea, I'm trying to wrap my head around that as well. Looking up pictures of the 2.0 there is an exhaust port that goes to the turbo. On some the turbo is connected with stainless steel, others are aluminum. I'm guessing that is what they are talking about. The difference in expansion rates over the temperatures is the issue, not that there is stainless steel inside the aluminum head

Ford Maverick Common problems - Are you concerned? 2-0l-ecoboost-ford-focus-st-and-fusion-freakoboost-efr-turbo-kit-0-1~2

Dnedzel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks - I totally forgot about the connection to the turbo, this is a big help in understanding what's going on. At least it looks like an easy fix - a few nuts and studs to get the damaged one off and to put the new one on. Now I understand why they use stainless steel instead of cast iron in a typical exhaust manifold - the heat between the head and the turbo must be intense. I have never worked on a turbo engine - always something new to learn!
thx

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you image how horrible the exhaust port flow is with this port design? Why in the world would the “engineers” encapsulate all four ports into one cast-in manifold with 90° angles? The EU head uses traditional port designs and bolts onto the block, but apparently needs custom headers. $4K w/performance cams, port blending and larger valves. Stupid....

M.A.C.

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

I feel the same way, if Ford is giving (charging you) you a bigger radiator, cooling fan, transmission cooler, and a shorter final drive it seems that Ford is at least trying to address the issues. Those upgrades/improvements should take care of the issues. IMO

CanAm2020

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 tundra
I'm gonna assume the 2.0 eco boost problems have been fixed.
Sponsored