Sponsored

Before Maverick, what were you looking at?

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wasn’t even looking and up till June never even heard of the Maverick.
Put 2 on order mid-June.
Since we purchased a Bronco Sport and still plan to purchase one of the Mavericks if not both.
Sponsored

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Still on the fence between Mav and Ranger... Tough.

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Still very much considering a Santa Cruz. Love the in- bed trunk, (and somehow they got a spare tire under it!?) bumper steps and general layout.
Now the fastest selling vehicle in North America..

Be interesting to see if that is true in 5 weeks or so...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasn't seriously looking to buy immediately, but had considered the current Ranger when it came out. With an F-150 and Jeep already it was not urgent at all. I knew a redesigned Ranger and Frontier were on the way and was just casually watching to see more on those. Then the Maverick stuff started trickling out and I began watching for more hints of what drivetrain would be in it, how high bed was with tailgate dropped and more items it had to check off for me to seriously consider it. Now I have enough info on specs and sat in 1 and test drove an Edge with same drivetrain- I'm basically all in on buying after I get a test drive to cement the decision. Hoping for that to happen in next 2 weeks or so. Waiting just gives me more time to get my $ in order before purchase :cool:

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was the target audience younger people? I feel like this truck is Ford's answer to all the people they just can't convince to pony up 50+ grand for a full loaded F-150. That group probably does have more young than old in it, but probably just because old people generally have more money than young ones.
I think both Hyundai and Ford will be surprised at the buyer demographics.
One video road test on YT called the Santa Cruz a "perfect GGV." (Grandma Garden Vehicle.)

Sponsored

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasn't looking (gave up years ago) at anything because I thought nobody build a small 4 door truck with around 40mpg under 20K. When I heard just last month one existed, I put my money down and now wait for months to get it. I've waited a long time so a few months is nothing.
"Small" is key. My last full size (2012 Tundra) required a stretch and hard reach to get things out of the load bed.
And trying to park it in newer lots was a real chore. (Apparently, about ten years ago, new parking lots adopted 8.5 ft wide spaces in lieu of 9ft.)

dicchicora

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasn't really looking for anything, just knew that I was planning on it around Jan./Feb. to start looking for something new. My main choice was probably going to be another Subaru Forester, but I was also thinking of a Honda Ridgeline. Then I saw the Maverick and it's exactly what I never knew I was looking for! Got my order in as soon as I learned about it, scheduled 2 days later, and ready for 10/11 to get here.

MAVERICK8011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
Vehicle(s)
Maveruck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasn't really looking for anything, just knew that I was planning on it around Jan./Feb. to start looking for something new. My main choice was probably going to be another Subaru Forester, but I was also thinking of a Honda Ridgeline. Then I saw the Maverick and it's exactly what I never knew I was looking for! Got my order in as soon as I learned about it, scheduled 2 days later, and ready for 10/11 to get here.

fanthe

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2104 Fiesta
Honestly , I wasn't even looking for a truck/suv, I was going to get a Fiat or something really small (i currently drive a Fiesta). I have always wanted a Ranger, but it was just never in the cards and then the new improved Ranger was just not what I was looking for, it seemed to me nearly as big as my husband's F150
But everything changed the day I saw the Maverick, I was at the dealer placing an order 3 days later

Last edited:
Sponsored

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
I'm still not fully sure I want to go with a truck/SUV, because I drive on-road 99% of the time and I much prefer the road manners of smaller cars, so right now I'm still considering things like the WRX, GTI and the Civic SI, but I'm starting to mull over the idea of a truck/SUV as my next vehicle because I do a lot of kayak fishing and I'm getting sick of setting up and taking down my roof rack every time I go out.

I'm really only considering the Maverick or the Bronco Sport, and I can't decide if an open bed or a closed roof with roof bars will make my kayaking life easier. After getting my hands on a Santa Cruz, I'm concerned the Mav's bed will be too small, but there's always those bed extenders. On the bright side, a 2.0 FWD Maverick gets acceptable gas mileage and has gobs of power, all for a really good price. The Bronco Sport doesn't have such bed length concerns, and AWD is standard, but the 1.5's power/fuel economy ratio is garbage and the 2.0 is locked to the loaded Badlands, which I don't want. Not sure what to do

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
I had been waiting for over a year on the new Nissan Frontier I thought I was all in on it. Then I seen the Maverick and started researching it and was sold so I reserved one.

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm still not fully sure I want to go with a truck/SUV, because I drive on-road 99% of the time and I much prefer the road manners of smaller cars, so right now I'm still considering things like the WRX, GTI and the Civic SI, but I'm starting to mull over the idea of a truck/SUV as my next vehicle because I do a lot of kayak fishing and I'm getting sick of setting up and taking down my roof rack every time I go out.

I'm really only considering the Maverick or the Bronco Sport, and I can't decide if an open bed or a closed roof with roof bars will make my kayaking life easier. After getting my hands on a Santa Cruz, I'm concerned the Mav's bed will be too small, but there's always those bed extenders. On the bright side, a 2.0 FWD Maverick gets acceptable gas mileage and has gobs of power, all for a really good price. The Bronco Sport doesn't have such bed length concerns, and AWD is standard, but the 1.5's power/fuel economy ratio is garbage and the 2.0 is locked to the loaded Badlands, which I don't want. Not sure what to do
Curious what you mean by “but the 1.5’s power/fuel economy ratio is garbage”
We just received a BS Big Bend. The default g.o.a.t mode is “normal” which is fine for normal city driving but the “Sport” mode, when engaged had plenty of get up and go acceleration. Makes the BS a fun ride. I will admit the “Eco” definitely has the sluggish feel when accelerating. I’m glad the default mode is “Normal”
BTW, our BS average MPG so far is 28. City driving only. This, so far, is as good or better than the Mazda CX-5 we had.

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
Curious what you mean by “but the 1.5’s power/fuel economy ratio is garbage”
Seems you do better than the EPA would suggest, then. All I meant was the 1.5 seems insufficient for moving around a 3600lb SUV that's shaped like a box. Fuelly.com shows most folks get about 24 combined for a 1.5 BS and about 23 for a 2.0. My original point was that, for an engine with only 190HP, the 1.5 yields pretty weak fuel economy, which turns me off of the BS.

Rob

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Before I saw a random YouTube video of the Maverick on June 10th, only 2 days after the official reveal, I was going to get an suv when my current car died. I was looking at a Audi Q5 or Kia Telluride.

Then this little truck came to me as if Ford saw me at Home Depot loading bags mulch into my cars trunk(it would only take me 3 trips to get the 12 bags I usually need) and made a truck for me. Glad the timing worked out and I will now save well over $20k and get a truck!

Long story short. What were you originally planning on buying before the Mav was presented to you on a silver platter?
I was looking at the Ranger but as soon as I seen that they were coming out with the Maverick and did some research on carseats I decided on it.
Sponsored