Sponsored

Before Maverick, what were you looking at?

ProfBaldie

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback 2013 & 2020
Incidentally, I’m 66 and retired. Interesting how Maverick appeals to this older demographic, when Ford’s target was younger buyers. Am sure that the club’s greater proportion of over 50’s will mirror the general population. Maybe things will change if the truck is not reliable, the price increases, or the outrageous used car market settles down.
Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Incidentally, I’m 66 and retired. Interesting how Maverick appeals to this older demographic, when Ford’s target was younger buyers. Am sure that the club’s greater proportion of over 50’s will mirror the general population. Maybe things will change if the truck is not reliable, the price increases, or the outrageous used car market settles down.
Was the target audience younger people? I feel like this truck is Ford's answer to all the people they just can't convince to pony up 50+ grand for a full loaded F-150. That group probably does have more young than old in it, but probably just because old people generally have more money than young ones.

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1st gen Ridgeline is way cooler than the 2nd gen anyway IMO!

You can fix them up with modern headlights, aftermarket grills, wheels, etc and make them look even cooler. The newer Ridgelines look kind of boring IMO, and it was a mistake to try and appeal to the traditionalist truck market because it was never going to be able to compete with them. After all, if you want traditional, why not get a true body on frame with classic lines like my Ram and a deep rumbly 400hp Hemi sounds better on throttle and I get the same 16-17mpg on average. Mines also getting up there in years at 12 years old, but paint and interior and everything are still in surprisingly good condition.
Ford Maverick Before Maverick, what were you looking at? 5298nkk
Yeah, that was my first thought when Honda came out with the 2nd gen. It kind of grew on me over the years though. The reliability and rust resistance of the Honda is what was keeping me in the Honda world, we'll see how the Maverick does in that regard.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Before my Focus died, I was looking... well, lusting over the Bronco Sport. It reminded me of the old Escapes and the Nissan X-Terra. There was nothing really capturing my attention at that time other than the Maverick (back when it was rumored to be a Transit-based Courier) and Santa Cruz. When I sat in the Sport however, I couldn't quite get comfortable enough in the driver seat and was disappointed how cramped it was behind me (I'm 6'0" 265lbs).

After my car died, I looked at the Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue. After those disappointments, I almost went back the sedan route. If that had happened I was looking at a used Fusion, used Nissan Altima, or a used Dodge Charger.

So yeah, I've gone through looking at several vehicles. lol

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Yeah, that was my first thought when Honda came out with the 2nd gen. It kind of grew on me over the years though. The reliability and rust resistance of the Honda is what was keeping me in the Honda world, we'll see how the Maverick does in that regard.
I stupidly sold a low mileage 1st Gen 2006 to buy this newer pig I’m driving now, I was worried about the age on the Honda....stupid! But that decision has brought me too the Maverick yeah!

Sponsored

Bigred_19

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Colorado
I was very actively looking for a lower mileage truck- Colorado or Silverado. It's extremely
hard to find something with the right price and mileage, as I am very picky when it comes
to color.
Wife has a 19 Escape that is very nice, so I have been looking real close at the Maverick.

Ksmavgal

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
2020 2.0 EB AWD Escape.
Like my nephew said, I'm basically getting an Escape with a bed, and the price for a new one is about the same as the used ones I was looking at!

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Ram 1500 Laramie or F-150 Lariat. Obviously used. Schoolteachers don't have the luxury of affording full price luxury. :ROFLMAO:

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Was looking at Mav, then outback turbo, then every midsize truck, then F-150, now I'm pretty much settled on a Ranger now.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A lot of younger people can't even think of buying a new car right now, and are probably just getting whatever some family member can pass along at a discount. The ones that can are probably talking about this vehicle on different platforms, not so much traditional forums like this. Probably find more of them on reddit or amino or blasting their 5 second thoughts about the Maverick while twerking on tiktok or something. Damn whippersnappers.

Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 20-year-old Ford Ranger right now. Mine was going to be a two-door Bronco cyber Orange. My wife was getting tired of me with my Bronco Bronco Bronco all the time. Went and took a broncos sport for a test drive even though they're completely different platforms. I thought cyber orange would look like this! Then I seen actual cyber Orange to me it looks like school bus yellow (sorry cyber Orange people out there) so then I said I have to rethink this. And seen the Maverick in velocity blue and said yes that's my new vehicle I think I would miss having a truck's bed if I got the Bronco.

Ford Maverick Before Maverick, what were you looking at? Screenshot_20210913-094302

BigDinTX

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot (ex wife's, not my choice)
Being recently divorced forced me to the user car market, but once I saw the trucklette and the price, I was sold. Main features were A to B vehicle and gas mileage. I don't care to get "down" into a car (I'm only 5'10") anymore with these older knees. Previously, I was looking at the Lexus CT200h, Civic and Camry/Corolla. Ford just happened to make the announcement about the Maverick at the right time and I'm holding out for it, at least for now. They do another one of those jump scare announcements that hybrids are delayed "until further notice" crap and I'm going to have to start seriously looking at other options.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honda Insight and Camry hybrid

SHBGuerrilla

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, Cyber Orange 2.0
Would have probably been looking at buying a used 2010-2015 tacoma, but honestly for the price and the custom order, accidentally drooling over an electric f150 landed me in a pretty nice place with the mav. Although I got the 2.0 instead. The only limitation is that when ever I buy a boat I just have to keep the trailered weight in the 3k range. Otherwise it's everything I could want.

That said, Ford is lucky Toyota can't/doesn't import Toyota Hiluxes to the US. After the ones I've seen in thailand and japan, I'm jealous.
Sponsored

Last edited: