Sponsored

Before Maverick, what were you looking at?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wasn't intensively looking since I'm only about 2.5 years into owning my Fusion, but when I saw the Bronco Sport I thought 'hmm, if they come out with a hybrid of that I might jump on it.' The Bronco Sport reminded me a lot of the 2nd gen Escapes which I quite like the interior dimensions of whereas the 3rd gens I found had a lot less usable space. Then along comes the Maverick which is a hybrid, cheaper even fully kitted than a decently equipped Sport, and an actual pickup for more payload space. Sign me up!
Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bronco, then Outback Onyx or Wilderness....

egress555

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was a 50/50 spilt between the Maverick and the Santa Cruz. I finally put a order in for a Maverick still unsure 100% that I didn't want a Cruz. The day after I put a order in for my Maverick a Hyundai dealer called me where I bought my curremt vehicle saying they finally had a Santa Cruz SEL Premium on the lot, so I went to go look at it and test drive.

Here's what I thought about the Cruz. It looked more like a SUV then a pickup, so that kinda turned my off(n). The roll up bed cover was really nice(y). The back lower corner was a plastic cover that seemed a little flimsy(n). One of the biggest turn off's was the dash. The dash was on a angle and it was all black shiny plastic(n). I was the first person to look at it and it was all covered in dust. That would drive me crazy every day looing at a dusty dash. The temperature controls were all push button on a screen, no knobs(n). It did drive well, it's a 2.5T so it had plenty of pep(y). And for the SEL Premium which had all the similar features as the Maverick I ordered it was several thousand more on the MSRP, BIG(n).

So i was very happy with my decision to order a Maverick!

Gr8Mustang

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Digger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux w/360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was content with my 2017 Prius V and have a 2000 Ranger 4x4. Saw the Maverick and now that I am close to retirement felt that getting down to 1 vehicle was the way to go.
Maverick combines the best of both of my old vehicles. Hybrid mileage and ability to haul household stuff.
Probably should wait for the Hybrid AWD but the current model will be fine. Not going to drive as much in snow anymore.

RWR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before I saw a random YouTube video of the Maverick on June 10th, only 2 days after the official reveal, I was going to get an suv when my current car died. I was looking at a Audi Q5 or Kia Telluride.

Then this little truck came to me as if Ford saw me at Home Depot loading bags mulch into my cars trunk(it would only take me 3 trips to get the 12 bags I usually need) and made a truck for me. Glad the timing worked out and I will now save well over $20k and get a truck!

Long story short. What were you originally planning on buying before the Mav was presented to you on a silver platter?
Honda Ridgeline. but was struggling with the price, then I realized I could save about 5K and purchase a Maverick

Sponsored

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
Had been looking for a 2015+ F150 Super Cab for almost a year... I just couldn't pull the trigger on any of them, it felt weird to me to be spending $20k for a used vehicle. Well, those $20k trucks became $25k+ and I was getting really discouraged.

I also considered 2011-2014 F150's but the thought of making payments on a vehicle that is almost certainly going to have rust makes me sick.

Maverick hit all the necessary check marks for me, and 25mpg combined is good enough that I can consider selling my Corolla to daily drive the Mav.. which would never have been the plan with an F150.

Reactions: RWR

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A 2 or 3 year old 2nd generation Honda Ridgeline. I have a 14 year old 1st gen Ridgeline now. I realized I could get a new Maverick Lariat for the price of a used Ridgeline + get the 40 MPG instead of ~ 16. Decision made.

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jeep Gladiator, The plan was to get one this fall. Guess I will keep my CJ7 now that the Mav has come along.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Santa Cruz. I loved the concept. But as spy photos started showing that it was just a Tucson with a small bed, I became less and less interested.
That's why I became interested, lol! So I was looking at a new 2022 Tucson, saw probably the very first in Houston as it was just being offloaded from a truck and wasn't even on the Hyundai website yet, fully loaded. Sweet talked the guy inside and he took me on a ride with all the plastic still on it fresh off the truck, hah!

Was a fan, but did my research and found that they were making a "ute" version that would be more or less the same but with big fender flares and a bed on the back, and that sounded pretty sweet, so decided to wait for that.

Then heard about the Maverick while researching the Santa Cruz, and voila. Still on the fence though, as I want to drive all the trims back to back to back on the same day before plonking down the bucks. I just hope the Maverick isn't having the same quality issues as the SC. So far I've heard of panel gaps bad from misalignment, a swaybar bolt totally cross threaded and not screwed all the way down which the factory worker had to have noticed and just didn't want to get in trouble for it so ignored it, wire harnesses for ventilated seats not clicked all the way in, ratcheting tonneau covers being "sticky" and not smooth, and one guy even had christmas tree lights of errors maybe from plug issue by ECU. So I'm not in a huge hurry, and don't mind letting the first few months of production go to the guinea pigs.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
A used 2WD 4cyl Canyon...... Nissan Frontier
Honestly I’m not sure what I saw first the Santa Cruz or Maverick...but it’s the styling of the Maverick swayed me because it looks like a truck.... I was thinking about a Santa Cruz more because they were here sooner but the dealer bs kept me in the Maverick camp.
now during the Maverick wait....frustrated wait I have entertained Nissan(bad mpg) and Toyota but a crew cab 2WD is hard to find well any affordable Toyota PU is hard to find......
so I ordered two Mavericks with the intension of keeping only one or selling one and keeping the other....not sure yet

Sponsored

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
That's why I became interested, lol! So I was looking at a new 2022 Tucson, saw probably the very first in Houston as it was just being offloaded from a truck and wasn't even on the Hyundai website yet, fully loaded. Sweet talked the guy inside and he took me on a ride with all the plastic still on it fresh off the truck, hah!

Was a fan, but did my research and found that they were making a "ute" version that would be more or less the same but with big fender flares and a bed on the back, and that sounded pretty sweet, so decided to wait for that.

Then heard about the Maverick while researching the Santa Cruz, and voila. Still on the fence though, as I want to drive all the trims back to back to back on the same day before plonking down the bucks. I just hope the Maverick isn't having the same quality issues as the SC. So far I've heard of panel gaps bad from misalignment, a swaybar bolt totally cross threaded and not screwed all the way down which the factory worker had to have noticed and just didn't want to get in trouble for it so ignored it, wire harnesses for ventilated seats not clicked all the way in, ratcheting tonneau covers being "sticky" and not smooth, and one guy even had christmas tree lights of errors maybe from plug issue by ECU. So I'm not in a huge hurry, and don't mind letting the first few months of production go to the guinea pigs.
One just blew the dual clutch tranny at 330 miles

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A 2 or 3 year old 2nd generation Honda Ridgeline. I have a 14 year old 1st gen Ridgeline now. I realized I could get a new Maverick Lariat for the price of a used Ridgeline + get the 40 MPG instead of ~ 16. Decision made.
1st gen Ridgeline is way cooler than the 2nd gen anyway IMO!

You can fix them up with modern headlights, aftermarket grills, wheels, etc and make them look even cooler. The newer Ridgelines look kind of boring IMO, and it was a mistake to try and appeal to the traditionalist truck market because it was never going to be able to compete with them. After all, if you want traditional, why not get a true body on frame with classic lines like my Ram and a deep rumbly 400hp Hemi sounds better on throttle and I get the same 16-17mpg on average. Mines also getting up there in years at 12 years old, but paint and interior and everything are still in surprisingly good condition.
Ford Maverick Before Maverick, what were you looking at? 5298nkk

Bill Cather

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome. But I can’t support going to both HD and Lowe’s. Hahahaha. Just kidding HD for the standard items, Lowe’s for the fancy finish items.

I remember seeing a thread on here with the age group poll. Ford 100% thought they were selling this truck to my dumb age group yet our little poll shows over 50% are going to over 50.
We ARE in your age group (in our minds)… BUT we suffer from “Old Folks Boogie” where “your mind makes a promise that your body can’t fill”
Ford Maverick Before Maverick, what were you looking at? 50E08B8C-D3AE-446B-973A-455F2110307E

ProfBaldie

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback 2013 & 2020
Hadn’t planned to buy, especially since I would have to trade/sell my 2013 Outback. But I needed a truck — tired of putting all the junk I do in the Subie. A Maverick XL checked all my boxes — inexpensive pickup, great fuel economy, good tech — and since I am using it in a business, have the added benefit of a tax write-off. Go Maverick!

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve heard the theory that long term the Maverick could be on par with the Mustang as far as brand/segment defining vehicle. 🤞

Let’s all just pray it’s not an Edsel. Hahahahaha.
I agree - I think this is very similar to the original Mustang. It forced other manufacturers to come up with a competitive solution. I like calling the Maverick the "Pony Truck". It is gaining attention and wait till there are some on the road. Ford has nailed it with the Maverick.
I wanted a smaller truck before I bought my VW Tiguan a few years ago (same as Q3). It is a great vehicle but I have been looking for Ford to introduce a truck the size of the old Ranger. This is where Mustang took off. All of the cars were giant, even muscle cars. I see the Maverick the same way. Smaller size, drivetrain options for economy or performance, fun to drive, etc.
Many people want a truck but are not contractors. So the battleship size and king size bed are not as desired by many. Not to mention gas economy and driving/handling in town.
Sponsored