Sponsored

Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick?

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s an actual issue? I have OEM flaps… should I check for rubbing?
Yes, I have now contacted the FORD rep who shows up on this forum to report the issue. My dealership said accessories are not covered, but maybe if enough of us report the splash guards rubbing into the paint they will issue a TSB and help us.
Type in "Splash Guards" in the search and you will see the thread about the rubbing issue and pictures.
Sponsored

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmmm, that does not look good at all for a vehicle much less than a year old. If that was my truck I would sandblast that area, rust reform it, prime it and put a coating of bed liner and undercoat it.

Of course, as a Materials Engineer you are aware of the unstoppable desire of steel to return to its natural state, rust. But man, that sure was quick without road salt accelerating the process.
I definitely have options to address the visible areas but I’m more concerned about areas I can’t currently see. I had every intention of undercoating and rust proofing this truck to extend the life, but an area like this that is fully exposed to the conditions needs more than just undercoating. And I fully expect Ford to take care of this, they’ll have their own Materials Engineers scrambling over this shortly I bet. There’s a deficiency in their coating process that needs to be looked at immediately.

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford has been working on the rust problem since the 60's when industry designed machines to made thin sheet metal. Apparently, Ford believes surface rust is acceptable.

2021 Ford F-150 Owners Are Already Facing Rust, Corrosion Issues (fordauthority.com)

Why Is Ford Telling 2021 F-150 Owners That Rust Is Ok? (powernationtv.com)

Those are 70k trucks. How do you think a Maverick will do in salt belt?

Just curious, I went out to see what a 2016 RAV4 undercarriage looks like after 6 years of Pennsylvania roads. Notice everything is factory coated and no rust hardware. How do they do that????

IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
It was interesting that a FWD Jeep Patriot we owned for 10 years in Missouri and Minnesota had little to no rust on the underbody, but the attached rear suspension was terribly rusty.

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was interesting that a FWD Jeep Patriot we owned for 10 years in Missouri and Minnesota had little to no rust on the underbody, but the attached rear suspension was terribly rusty.
If anyone wants to know why this early rust is concerning look up the issues with the Jeep Patriot and Compass subframes rusting. They didn’t do enough to protect them from rust and they were turning to dust as a result of the significant corrosion.

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you want to get in touch with me also? I live in Nova Scotia where the roads are covered in salt for 5 months of the year and my 3 month old truck is already showing rust on the seams of the subframe without seeing a winter yet. These spots are right under the front corner of the drivers and passenger doors, they’re the only parts of the underbody that don’t have a shield over them so they’re easy to find.

This should concern every single Ford Maverick owner and make every single potential owner of a Maverick think twice. I work in the aerospace industry as a Materials Engineer, I deal with metal treatments for corrosion protection on a daily basis and I can confirm for all that this is a significant issue for long term viability of this truck.

5DAD24FB-815D-4ADF-A149-F98B6456D501.jpeg

26E38ABA-7CAA-470A-8CC7-4F577DC7E318.jpeg
Getting back my down payment today! Sorry Ford this is not for me!

Sponsored

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I guess it boils down to this: Ford is making the Maverick to be a "throw away" vehicle, that is, cut corners to keep the price down and after 5 years of ownership send it to the scrapyard. That is what I found out the low-cost Jeep Patriot was. Owned it 10 years. Replaced the front suspension A frames several times. As a FWD only the attached rear suspension system turned to a pile of rust quickly. Plus, the CV Tranny died at about 110,000.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14823

Might be a silly question, but how do the skid plates on the FX4 package complicate the undercoating/rustproofing options?

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I guess it boils down to this: Ford is making the Maverick to be a "throw away" vehicle, that is, cut corners to keep the price down and after 5 years of ownership send it to the scrapyard. That is what I found out the low-cost Jeep Patriot was. Owned it 10 years. Replaced the front suspension A frames several times. As a FWD only the attached rear suspension system turned to a pile of rust quickly. Plus, the CV Tranny died at about 110,000.
I would like to believe that this was an oversight (a completely avoidable and very troubling oversight) and Ford will respond with a fix. But we will obviously have to wait and see.

key

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Engine
Undecided
The whole bed is steel, these are going to have rust holes all over them in 10 years in the northern climates. Tacomas have composite beds and the new F-150s have aluminum beds. Undercoating is a requirement and so is a spray in bedliner. The drop in bedliner is going to be the worst culprit imo, holding salt water between it and the bed and letting it corrode.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
or...not

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid