2.5L Hybrid

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I am one who doesn't *need* AWD. I am simply a 42y/o dude who has always wanted an AWD/4WD vehicle, but I've never had it. I am absolutely stoked about the Maverick. I am stoked about the base 2.5l hybrid engine. I would love to have AWD, but I'm not giving up the fuel economy of a hybrid to get it.

I started looking/researching vehicles early this year, because my family is outgrowing my 2013 Honda Insight, plus my Insight has taken a bit of a beating (inside and out) over the last 5 years, and I've never really liked how it drives.

For the majority of buyers (given more people live in the city and suburbs than in the country), they will never need anything more than the Maverick FWD Hybrid offers. The only 2 reasons I've never bought a truck for a daily driver are: 1. I refuse to drive a RWD in the snow if I can avoid it, and 2. I can't bring myself to dealing with the atrocious MPG 4wd trucks get. I had planned on getting a Tuscon, or Rav4 hybrid next year when I buy, but I'd much, much rather have a high-trim Maverick hybrid FWD for the utility of the truck bed.
Hi Zeke, for sure! I live way up north and 4wd has been a way of life for me since about high school. The late 70's oh yeah! But I always wanted an AWD. Better in a few ways. You will be fine with front-wheel drive. I will be fine with turbo AWD.
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I have never driven a hybrid. But, I had rode in a Nissan with a CVT. I am hoping the Maverick doesn't make a loud 'drone sound' when accelerating.
the ECVT doesn’t have a belt like a traditional CVT. So it’s very very quiet.

montyxc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Any speculation on whether the hybrid engine will have port injection, direct injection, or dual-injection? I'm not very familiar with recent Ford engines.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any speculation on whether the hybrid engine will have port injection, direct injection, or dual-injection? I'm not very familiar with recent Ford engines.
Specs list it as SMFI which I believe is sequential multiport fuel injection. Specs Link

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 Ranger '11 Edge '20 Kicks
From a traffic light that just turns green and I take off driving my new Ford Maverick 2.5 hybrid, from what I understand about hybrids, the electric motor will be doing all the work from 0 mph up to the time the gas engine comes back to life. My question is, at what point in time will the gas engine start back up? I have read many things about hybrids and about the Ford Escape 2.5 hybrid and I have only come across two articles that say when the gas engine starts and one said it happens when the vehicle gets to 25 mph and the other said 48 mph. I know Ford gives an estimated higher mpg for city (40) than highway (33) and from what I have read about hybrids this would make sense based on how the electric motor and the gasoline engine work together. I just wonder if anyone knows specifically about the Maverick and starting from the aforementioned traffic light scenario when the gasoline engine takes over the majority of the work?

Sponsored

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know how the Mavericks system will work, but I found the video for the 2nd gen Prius system interesting and it does go into examples, including starting off electric followed by engine startup:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 Ranger '11 Edge '20 Kicks
This is a great little truck, although I am perplexed about why Ford isn't offering a hybrid AWD version out of the gate since they already have it for the Escape. This will be a hunting truck for me so I will be holding out for AWD. I would prefer plug-in AWD but would probably go for the hybrid AWD since the mileage is so much better than any other truck on the road.
The answer to your good question is right here. 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lacks AWD Option Due To New Electric Motor (fordauthority.com)

"The Ford Maverick hybrid utilizes a brand new electric motor – the first developed and built by Ford in-house – that is similar but different from the one used in the Ford Escape Hybrid. That means that it won’t work, off-the-shelf, with the Escape Hybrid AWD model’s e-CVT transmission without some modifications, according to MotorTrend. Thus, Ford apparently decided not to bother with adapting the e-CVT to the Ford Maverick hybrid as of now, though MT notes that Ford could very well do so in the near future. "

"It’s also worth noting that as Ford Authority reported earlier today, the Maverick hybrid’s twist-beam rear suspension – which utilizes the Ford Fiesta ST’s “Force Vectoring Spring” – is mounted so low that there simply isn’t enough room to accommodate an all-wheel-drive setup underneath and still retain a reasonable bed loading height." In my amateur research of the Maverick I have learned the bed loading height is one of the central selling points it has zeroed in on. My guess is it wants to appeal to as many city dwelling folks as possible and probably half of those people will be women who are typically biologically shorter than men. As research would indicate men are the typical owners of trucks, hence Ford wanting to maximize the appeal of the Maverick to everyone and one way of doing that is by making the bed loading height as low as reasonably possible.

In other words, Ford will figure out later how to accommodate AWD in a hybrid Maverick, but only if the demand is there. For the foreseeable future though, FWD hybrid is what we can expect with the Maverick.

Last edited:

hondabuster

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav hybrid ,tacoma
From a traffic light that just turns green and I take off driving my new Ford Maverick 2.5 hybrid, from what I understand about hybrids, the electric motor will be doing all the work from 0 mph up to the time the gas engine comes back to life. My question is, at what point in time will the gas engine start back up? I have read many things about hybrids and about the Ford Escape 2.5 hybrid and I have only come across two articles that say when the gas engine starts and one said it happens when the vehicle gets to 25 mph and the other said 48 mph. I know Ford gives an estimated higher mpg for city (40) than highway (33) and from what I have read about hybrids this would make sense based on how the electric motor and the gasoline engine work together. I just wonder if anyone knows specifically about the Maverick and starting from the aforementioned traffic light scenario when the gasoline engine takes over the majority of the work?
If its like the Toyota hybrids, then the motor will start if you press the accelerator too far. There is a dedicated EV button to ask for battery only mode, but it doesn't take much pressing to make the motor start. If you're hypermiling then the Toyota system kicks the motor on when the hybrid battery gets to a certain level of discharge. Under optimal conditions I can get about 5 miles on battery alone, and in the winter its almost nothing. Cold Temps makes the motor run. Milage drops way off in winter. My rav gets 43 mpg in summer and around 28 in winter

Karmic

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Yeah, I hope there will be an AWD Hybrid next year. I think if I had to choose, I'd go with the hybrid ONLY because most of my driving would be on pavement. The most off-roading I've done has been a dirt road shortcut I drive on my way home when the highway is packed and driving on the job site; all activities I easily did in my old Focus. I could get a nice Lariat Hybrid for under $30k.
I would like AWD on the hybrid, but don't need it. Hybrid is more important to me. This will have a lot of utility and meet the needs I have 360 days of the year. Probably wouldn't want to give up the MPG for as seldom as I'd actually need the AWD.

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going for the hybrid. We live in the mountains in New Mexico at over 7,000 feet. It snows here, sometimes a lot. When I was working and had to try to hump it into Albuquerque to work regardless of weather, I needed 4x4. Now that I'm retired we can hunker down and wait for the county grader.

Something to think about, though, is it's front wheel drive which, for my money, beats the heck out of front engine, rear wheel drive. We live on a winding, up-hill gravel road and have a gravel, not that steep, driveway. Most empty, rear-wheel-drive pickups can't back into our driveway. Same with the road. It's narrow and if we meet a RWD pickup coming down and they have to back up, it's a struggle.

Sponsored

808Rider

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I have a Rav4 hybrid, and its a lifetime tranny. No wear parts, just gears and fluids. Nothing to wear out, no belts or rubber bands, nothing in common with the Nissan unit, other than sharing the CVT name
Lifetime on a CVT is awesome. Or any tranny. Shoots that might take me back to the Rav4 than. It’s at about $10k more though but that could be worth the extra peace of mind

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lets discuss. Thoughts, issues, transmission?

I was initially only looking at the geared transmission, but with a 80 mile commute round trip - and the fact that it can tow 2k pounds, I am officially interested.
I Had the CVT on my 2007 Camry hybrid, then geared on my 2013 Kia Hybrid… I like the CVT better. My son still drives the Camry with no issues with the CVT, 365k on the odometer. Looking forward to CVT again… Plus, it is fun to stomp the gas and feel the electric and gas motors working together without that gear shift… Real world on my Camry was 34.7 mpg

Last edited:

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stomp the pedal and they both work simultaneously…

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
I doubt the AWD option for Hybrid is going to help with towing as it could not supply torque for extended time. Usually, AWD is just small electric motor at the rear axle, that would engage off traction battery when front is loosing traction for brief period of time. May be some mechanical solution for rear with transfer case, but it would definitely complicate a lot and kill efficiency of Hybrid. The Escape Hybrid has AWD option, but it only engage rear axle when front is slipping, otherwise it stays disconnected. If you need towing move with 2.0T option, this is Ford hint for towing folks. Otherwise you may be waiting for a very long time, while others are enjoying their Mavericks they chose that fit their use cases.

Maybe check Ford Escape Hybrid to see if any increase in towing specs for AWD vs. FWD

Last edited:

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
Stomp the pedal and they both work simultaneously…
Yes this. For all you guys that are unfamiliar with how a hybrid powertrain works, you really need to go to YouTube and look into how an eCVT transmission works to actually understand what the gas motor is doing.

Sponsored