Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
Yes this. For all you guys that are unfamiliar with how a hybrid powertrain works, you really need to go to YouTube and look into how an eCVT transmission works to actually understand what the gas motor is doing.
Imagine if Maverick Hybrid was released 20 years ago. Folks would be running up the hills to get any info about Hybrid, but 20 years later we have all those nice videos for everyone to understand and not to be afraid of this tech.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... AWD is just small electric motor at the rear axle... The Escape Hybrid has AWD option, but it only engage rear axle when front is slipping,

Maybe check Ford Escape Hybrid to see if any increase in towing specs for AWD vs. FWD
Toyota and Lincoln offer a dedicated rear axel motor, Ford only the normal PTU.

Escape towing is the same, save for a 45 lb. lower GCWR for AWD.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid has SMFI. Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection. Thanks Ford!
I agree thank you so much for not doing direct injection. I really don’t see that much of an improvement with it compared to the long term problems. I like advanced technology but only if it is reliable.

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
My biggest question is why/how Ford flipped the script for this vehicle? They broke the mold by charging extra for a gas engine.

Charging more for AWD is nothing new, but paying an extra $1085 for a gas engine is wild to me. Granted, it is a turbo gas engine, but still.

Understand, this pickup looks like it should give me equal mpg to my 2013 honda insight. Being able to upgrade to a roomier cabin, AND add a short truck bed and 3/4 ton pay load, while getting great MPG is still kinda blowing my mind...almost 8 hours on from finding out the base trim XL is a hybrid.
I’m almost positive Ford will be making a tiny margin on these, and made the gas engine more expensive to get more hybrids on the road. I think this is one of their ways to push people into hybrid systems. Imagine this, they can’t focus more energy into creating better and more powerful hybrids until the market share is there. They are governed by investors. So with the coming wave of green energy vehicles and small market share, they bite the bullet, make a great small hybrid truck with a small margin; Hoping that it takes over the market and creates a bigger incentive to focus on hybrid/electric to their shareholders.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’m almost positive Ford will be making a tiny margin on these, and made the gas engine more expensive to get more hybrids on the road. I think this is one of their ways to push people into hybrid systems. Imagine this, they can’t focus more energy into creating better and more powerful hybrids until the market share is there. They are governed by investors. So with the coming wave of green energy vehicles and small market share, they bite the bullet, make a great small hybrid truck with a small margin; Hoping that it takes over the market and creates a bigger incentive to focus on hybrid/electric to their shareholders.
That's my thought as well. They're using the AWD and Ecoboost to subsidize the hybrid.

Nightman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
This is why I think it’s not worth it to get the awd 2.0l gas engine. The real deal is in the hybrid, if you want gas I would just get a ranger
I don't think that's a fair assessment. There are still several reasons why someone would still want a maverick over a ranger if opting for the gas option.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think that's a fair assessment. There are still several reasons why someone would still want a maverick over a ranger if opting for the gas option.
If I like a gas Mav and not in a rush, I will wait to see if there will be a regular cabin Ranger with a long bed and the same price in 2022.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Yeah for me I have basically decided to wait for a hybrid AWD option that has higher towing capabilities. The 2000 lb limit is a massive letdown for me.
I'm down for hybrid AWD, but I doubt it will be rated to tow more unless there is a significant increase in power. With 191 combined system HP in a vehicle that isn't as aerodynamic as an SUV, you're not going up hills on the Interstate in a hurry while dragging a 2,000lb trailer.

Are people confusing their "wants" with their actual needs for a vehicle in this price range? There's no perfect vehicle that does everything for everybody and starts at $20k :unsure:
I agree! The Maverick isn't much of a truck compared to other trucks on the road, but it holds its own when compared to other vehicles in the same price range. What other brand new vehicle that is less than $20k is factory-rated to tow 2k, gets 40mpg city, and can carry a washing machine, an ATV, or ten sheets of plywood safely? Not a whole lot that I can think of.

Not happy about lifetime trans fluid, especially with the thought of towing
I’m wondering if they still can change trans fluid on request, even if they call it “lifetime “. Or is the trans sealed?
"Lifetime" or "sealed" in my experience usually means the fluid is just cumbersome to check and/or change. My Ford Edge had "lifetime" transmission fluid. It had two drain plugs and a fill plug, but no dipstick.

there’s no drain plug however. You have to drop the pan
I'm okay with that. Both of my Ford trucks with early-build 4R100 transmissions didn't have drain plugs and they had specified service intervals. Made for some messy fluid changes on the regular. I think I ended up welding in a drain plug on one of those pans, but it was so long ago that I'm not sure.

I am perplexed about why Ford isn't offering a hybrid AWD version out of the gate since they already have it for the Escape
It could be a multitude of reasons and/or compromises. Maybe to simplify production for launch. Maybe to not sink as much money into a program until they can generate sales/recoup some costs/prove that the program is viable. This is a large reason why minor model changes (midcycle refreshes) happen.

And/or maybe engineers determined that transplanting the Escape hybrid's AWD wasn't going to work/be sufficient/require so many compromises or so much re-engineering that they couldn't meet the launch deadline, so they just shelved it for a later release.

For the majority of buyers (given more people live in the city and suburbs than in the country), they will never need anything more than the Maverick FWD Hybrid offers.
I grew up in the country driving 2WD trucks. Even now, I use 4WD as a "get myself unstuck" switch. To date, I've driven less than 1% of the mileage in my Nissan Frontier in 4H or 4L.

If I'm being realistic with myself, a FWD hybrid is all I will need, but I want an AWD hybrid, and I don't need a new car soon, so I'm holding my breath.

Having said that, one thing is for sure with the Eco-Boost engines. It is ECO, or BOOST, not both at the same time.
Yup. The 3.5L EcoBoost in the F-150 makes around 15PSI at full boost if I recall. So that is like momentarily having a 7.2L engine while operating at full boost.

If say the batteries degrade to a point where they won't hold charge.

or

The electric motor burns out.

Would the vehicle still run just on the gas engine? Or are you broke down? Thanks
It depends on how Ford engineered their system. Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive has a limp/get-home mode that, in the event of certain hybrid system failures, the vehicle can operate as a gasoline vehicle.

However, hybrids need the torque of the electric motors to run and drive smoothly. I once drove a Prius in limp mode. A Prius working normally accelerates at a marginal cadence. Take away the electric motors and you're driving a 3000lb car with a 90-something ft/lb torque gas engine.

I don't foresee the Maverick limp mode (if it has one) being much better. The Atkinson-cycle gas engine has very little torque at low RPM, and the final drive ratio of the hybrid is really high (like 2.91:1 or something). Not a problem if you have torquey electric motors to fill in the gap from the gas engine.

front wheel drive which, for my money, beats the heck out of front engine, rear wheel drive. We live on a winding, up-hill gravel road and have a gravel, not that steep, driveway.
Same. Stock-for-stock, I've had better luck climbing a damp dirt hill in my FWD Mazda than my RWD F-150. The F-150 needs some all-terrains (or at least aired down highway tires) with a few hundred pounds in the bed to climb a hill that the Mazda can do stock.

The real deal is in the hybrid, if you want gas I would just get a ranger
That's what I'm thinking. Has the EcoBoost's fuel economy been published? The EPA requires automakers to average the possible axle ratios through some algorithm and generate the fuel economy numbers, so an EcoBoost 4k tow might still get less than the rated fuel economy due to its lower rear axle ratio.

The EPA has exceptions for certain applications. That's why there are so many F-150 variants on fueleconomy.gov, such as flexfuel, HD payload, GVWR considerations, etc. But I doubt the Maverick will have more variants than just FWD hybrid, FWD EcoBoost, AWD EcoBoost.

Sponsored

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Escape FWD Hybrid does
0-60 in 8.7. Quarter mile in 14.6
Maverick will likely be a few tenths slower so yea. 8.9 sounds right and just under 15s quarter.

the electric motor does provide instant torque the problem is the electric motor is running through a 10:1 gear set and it has to control the transmission. Which likely has a 4:1 low end. So yea your getting a lot of torque just slow torque.

Since we aren't buying the maverick hybrid for the race track I hadn't really thought about acceleration too much. But in the past week I drove a 15 forester with the base engine and that thing feels slow. Looks like its 0-60 in 9 seconds. I'm hoping that since the Maverick has a different hybrid system than the Escape and Ford has figured out how to make it slightly quicker. Looks like other small SUV hybrid SUVs are in the 7 second range so it has to be possible.

Does anybody know how hybrids do accelerating to pass at highway speeds? I'm guessing the gas engine is doing most of the work there.

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
Since we aren't buying the maverick hybrid for the race track I hadn't really thought about acceleration too much. But in the past week I drove a 15 forester with the base engine and that thing feels slow. Looks like its 0-60 in 9 seconds. I'm hoping that since the Maverick has a different hybrid system than the Escape and Ford has figured out how to make it slightly quicker. Looks like other small SUV hybrid SUVs are in the 7 second range so it has to be possible.

Does anybody know how hybrids do accelerating to pass at highway speeds? I'm guessing the gas engine is doing most of the work there.
I test drove Escape Hybrid on the highway as well. It works quite well, the only difference it is very quiet. It is slightly more dynamic than compact cars with normally aspirated 2.5L ICE engine. It is not a slug for sure on the highway or local roads and flows with the traffic without any issues. I felt comfortable driving it around vs. Subaru Crosstrek 2021 Limited (2.5L) I drive the most recently.

Hybrid system limits the traction motor on high load situations as ICE engine has plenty of torque and electric motor can not provide a lot of torque for extended period of time due to the battery capacity is relatively small. But combined Hybrid delivers more than normal 2.5L, good enough for a compact car like Maverick.

Last edited:

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's another thought. I live in New Mexico. Believe it or not there are mountains here. 'Same with our neighbors - Colorado, Utah and Arizona. On a long uphill, the battery will go flat pretty soon and all you have is the ICE. Will the hybrid hold highway speed going up hills? Allow passing at highway speed? Probably not. Loaded or pulling a trailer you'd be in the slow lane, but that's okay

On I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe people drive fast - some well over 80. About half way between there's a notorious climb called LA Bajada Hill. When my buddy had Prius he said he had to keep it floored going up La Bajada Hill. Yeah, different vehicle, different engine, etc, but same system.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Will the hybrid hold highway speed going up hills?...
You're thinking like you have a geared transmission. Press a hybrid's gas pedal and engine speed climbs, then you speed up. No lugging in top gear; you're still in "1st." That's why passing numbers (30-50, 50-70) are close between Escape 2.0L and hybrid, while 0-60 are not.
Sponsored