Sponsored

Off-road capabilities with 2.5L hybrid?

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I am curious on what you guys will think about this.

If you were to throw some 30s on the 2WD hybrid powertrain and do some very minimal off roading, is that going to put too much stress on the engine? Does anyone have experience with intercoolers for hybrids or just experience with this at all? I am even concerned putting big tires on it even on pavement!
Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
If you were to throw some 30s on the 2WD hybrid powertrain and do some very minimal off roading, is that going to put too much stress on the engine?
I highly doubt it. The factory tires are 28.5" and the FX4 tires are 29". That being said, if you want to avoid any warranty headaches, I'd keep the tires to the stock size, if not the FX4 size. Yes, I know the hybrid only comes in FWD, but we're talking tires with a radius difference of 1/4". I think any competent dealer would overlook that.

Keep in mind that the Maverick is a full 2-mode hybrid, so the engine mechanically assists the EV system. The vehicle is designed to run on electric or electric/gas simultaneously, so I doubt you'll be stressing the engine (or even the entire powertrain) with slightly larger tires and mild off-roading.

Does anyone have experience with intercoolers for hybrids or just experience with this at all?
What do you mean by "intercooler"? When I think of intercoolers, I think of the air-to-air radiators used in turbocharged engines.

Generally speaking, I think hybrids are great for mild off-roading. Most can run at slow speeds on electric power only, so you don't have overheating possibilities like with driving a gasoline vehicle around at near-idle speed.

That being said, I've had several 2WD and 4WD vehicles, and I can get further with a stock 4WD/AWD than a modified 2WD. That's why I'm holding my breath for a couple years for news on the possible Ranger PHEV or to see if Ford will produce a Maverick hybrid AWD.

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure if this helps, but there are also some on-road/off-road A/T tires available for the hybrid that will at least some extra capability on gravel roads, light off-roading and such that are the same size as the stock hybrid tires.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Based on limited off-road experience with a hybrid Escape, you're worried about the wrong end of the drivetrain. FWD/AWD makes the difference. A hybrid power plant would seem advantaged for off-roading, given the engine power is independent of vehicle speed. No need for creeper gears when you can run the engine at the torque peak at any vehicle speed, and have regen braking downhill. It's more like hydrostatic drive on a lawn tractor; one foot operation.

That's why the other end matters more. Off-road capability will depend on the suspension and AWD/4WD system. That's why I liked @notfast post; wait a bit and you'll have a hybrid AWD Maverick.

OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I highly doubt it. The factory tires are 28.5" and the FX4 tires are 29". That being said, if you want to avoid any warranty headaches, I'd keep the tires to the stock size, if not the FX4 size. Yes, I know the hybrid only comes in FWD, but we're talking tires with a radius difference of 1/4". I think any competent dealer would overlook that.

Keep in mind that the Maverick is a full 2-mode hybrid, so the engine mechanically assists the EV system. The vehicle is designed to run on electric or electric/gas simultaneously, so I doubt you'll be stressing the engine (or even the entire powertrain) with slightly larger tires and mild off-roading.

What do you mean by "intercooler"? When I think of intercoolers, I think of the air-to-air radiators used in turbocharged engines.

Generally speaking, I think hybrids are great for mild off-roading. Most can run at slow speeds on electric power only, so you don't have overheating possibilities like with driving a gasoline vehicle around at near-idle speed.

That being said, I've had several 2WD and 4WD vehicles, and I can get further with a stock 4WD/AWD than a modified 2WD. That's why I'm holding my breath for a couple years for news on the possible Ranger PHEV or to see if Ford will produce a Maverick hybrid AWD.
Ill need to replace my car by next year unfortunately, so I’ll probably end up going for the 2WD then trading it in once the AWD comes out. I just hope I don’t lose out too much!

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
FWD/AWD makes the difference.
Agreed! One of my last trucks was an F-150 with a mid-travel suspension kit, 35s, 9.75" rear end with 4.56 gears, Detroit locker, Deaver leaf packs in the rear, etc. Cycled something like 11" front and 14" rear.

It was a pretty good dune truck, but I still got stuck plenty. One time I got stuck, I was asking around to see if anyone had a 4x4. The "4x4" that came to get me unstuck? A 2001-ish Ford Escape with the single-speed transfer case. Just needed a quick tug and I was on my way.

More recently, I was off-roading on firm sand in my Nissan Frontier in 2H. I was cruising just fine. In a matter of two seconds, I hit a soft spot and buried the rear axle. I tried backing up but didn't go anywhere. Clicked it into 4H, backed out, and drove right over where I got stuck 2 seconds earlier. Pretty sure if I was cruising in 4H, I wouldn't have gotten stuck to begin with.

Off-road capability will depend on the suspension and AWD/4WD system.
I have confidence in Ford's terrain management system. I took a 5th-gen Explorer farther than I thought it'd make it. I'd drive in "Normal" and change modes accordingly when I got stuck, and I was able to get myself unstuck.

Similar with a 13th-gen F-150 Lariat. I drove in 4A and was able to get myself unstuck in grass/light mud, and from one-wheel-in-the-air situations by changing the drive mode only. Switching to 4H or 4L and/or using the diff lock would've made for less drama, but I wanted to see how far I could get without those.

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Does the FWD system turn both wheels if one looses traction?
Could traction boards be used in sticky situations?

Just wondering for those soft roading tough spots...
Considering....
  1. 1.5" spacer lift.
  2. Skids
  3. Mild AT's once factory tires wear out.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I expect the Mav to be excellent for for gravel, fire roads and 3rd world tracks. Include mud flaps, light weight skid plates and A/T tires. You will have a rig capable of going places you only dreamed of.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Does the FWD system turn both wheels if one looses traction?
I wouldn't count on it. It doesn't have a locker, so at best you'll have something similar to a simulated limited slip. AKA, the traction control system and/or the drive modes will brake the wheel in the air in order to attempt to send a limited amount of power to the wheel on the ground.

Could traction boards be used in sticky situations?
Absolutely. I prefer the folding "ridge" style versus the MaxTrax style. The MaxTrax style are great for maybe five to ten uses, but then the plastic nubs wear off. The ridge style last a lot longer. I think mine have four or five uses and minimal wear.

The only thing that sucks that I've found so far is that the 3-panel folding style cannot be used to bridge a gap, such as a small ditch that you need to cross.

I suggest you watch some videos online of other people's experience. "Softroading the West" is a great channel on YouTube. Also, if you buy equipment, practice using it in your garage or your yard. Nothing quite like being in a sticky situation with equipment still in the package, reading directions under duress, and not being sure if you're using it correctly or effectively.

Also, check your kit right before heading out. Equipment is useless if you don't remember that you have it and/or don't remember where it is stored.

Considering....
  1. 1.5" spacer lift.
  2. Skids
  3. Mild AT's once factory tires wear out.
If you have a Discount Tire ("America's Tire" in California) nearby, they will usually offer to credit you for your factory tires if they have less than a thousand miles or so. I've gotten 70-80% of the retail price before, which I think is a great price to pay for tires that I want rather than tires that it came with.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ Rebelcon, Honda Ridgeline Black Ed
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am curious on what you guys will think about this.

If you were to throw some 30s on the 2WD hybrid powertrain and do some very minimal off roading, is that going to put too much stress on the engine? Does anyone have experience with intercoolers for hybrids or just experience with this at all? I am even concerned putting big tires on it even on pavement!
To be honest I will say two things here. 1) If you want to use the Mavrick Hybrid to it's potential do NOT put bigger tires on it as that will most likely bring down your fuel mileage. 2)You have a Jeep Wrangler which has amazing off road capability. I have one as well look at my avitar.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
To be honest I will say two things here. 1) If you want to use the Mavrick Hybrid to it's potential do NOT put bigger tires on it as that will most likely bring down your fuel mileage. 2)You have a Jeep Wrangler which has amazing off road capability. I have one as well look at my avitar.
It’ll only bring it down 4-5mpg max, so having a truck capable of doing service roads and stuff at ~38mpg city would be amazing. I don’t do rock crawling and all that jazz.