Sponsored

1st oil change, competed at Ford Dealership and I have a question . . .

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So should we go with the oil life monitor or with some arbitrary number people throw out there for when to change oil?
Soot (carbon particles) accumulation in the engine oil is a problem with Ecoboost and other brand Direct Injection DI engines.
https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2019-01-0301/

GM's OLM won't let DI engines go over 7,500 miles or 1-year, maybe more frequent if it senses you are towing or driving crazy in hot weather, or short trips in cool/cold weather.
Ford's iOLM does the same thing except they allow up to 10,000 miles, with the same 1-year limit as GM.

I prefer GM's more cautious 7,500 mile limit (or 1-year of course).

Also, if I had an Ecoboost Mav, I'd make sure I used one of those oils (any brand) at walmart that says good for "20,000 miles", which is Mobil1 Extended, Quaker State Ultimate, or SuperTech 20,000 oil (Castrol Edge Extended has to be mail ordered or autoparts stores).
NOT to change at 20,000 miles, but to ensure lots of reserve oil performance is there for soot and fuel dilution issues with Ecoboosts.

The Mav Hybrid engine is much easier on oil and I'd just follow the iOLM dashboard engine oil change light on that engine.
Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Discussing motor oil on any automotive forum is basically dipping your toe in politics and religion. That said, it is hard to argue with a full synthetic for the Ecoboost engine, given the turbo, the direct injection and how hot it runs.

Personally, I recently purchased the equipment for my first oil change and will be going with AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic along with the AMSOIL filter. The oil is advertised to last up to 25,000 miles and AMSOIL provides plenty of test data to back that claim. That said, I won't run it more than 10,000, and probably 7,500. Oil is relatively cheap compared to new engines, turbos, gaskets, etc.

It's funny, because not long ago there was a loooong thread about AMSOIL and some people were saying it doesn't meet Ford specs, it'll void warranty, blah, blah, blah. Like I said, politics and religion. Truth is, AMSOIL is among the very best lubricants available and there is no way a manufacturer is going to win a fight to deny warranty service for using it.

Bottom line: use a QUALITY oil, full synthetic if the added cost is not an obstacle to you. There are many other good brands mentioned here, including several available at Wally World.

Last edited:

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand the desire to change the oil early for the first time on a new vehicle, but continuing that trend at 2000 mile intervals, particularly with full syn oil, is just a waste. Unless you are pulling a lot of weight, really dirty conditions, etc. One man's opinion.
True,
But my driving habits have changed since my job relocated. To work and back is only. 1/10 of what it used to be.
From 110 miles per week down to 11.....
Jerry

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True,
But my driving habits have changed since my job relocated. To work and back is only. 1/10 of what it used to be.
From 110 miles per week down to 11.....
Jerry

Driving a vehicle very infrequently is also bad on it- tires don't get flexed enough, water in the motor collects and doesn't get burned off, battery doesn't discharged and charged. Manuals often say that's "heavy" useage as far as servicing goes.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil that meets all Ford's oil specs.
Don't go over 5k miles between changes.
And keep up on the PTU oil changes.

Sponsored

TKranbuhl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Authority News that came out today: Change EcoBoost engine oil every 5000 miles. Do not follow the oil life %. Conflicting? Confusing? Yep. Tomorrow may be something different.

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yet another respected mechanic comes out today with an oil change interval recommendation for all Ford EcoBoosts...
watch

zach57x

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Authority News that came out today: Change EcoBoost engine oil every 5000 miles. Do not follow the oil life %. Conflicting? Confusing? Yep. Tomorrow may be something different.
Link?

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've yet to do my first change, but after some reviews I'm probably going with Pennzoil Platinum full synth. given I can match the required standards, or exceed them. Based on the results, it beats out many of the bigger name brands that have already been mentioned.
I still say that it's not so much important as conventional, semi, or full synth. as it is frequency of changing it. I rarely go the duration recommended by the mfg. and change more frequently. And depending upon where you live and how much you drive, this should be something considered; especially if you're in conditions which are deemed severe. There are also numerous reasons why it's beneficial too. One, oil still picks up contaminants from combustion and condensation from temperature changes -- it's what eats as seals and gaskets. Two, I've worked at dealerships most of my life and I've never seen a mfg. deny a potential warranty claim if the vehicle has been properly serviced more often than they recommended and doesn't show signs of abuse. Just have the receipts to prove it!

Family friends son worked for GM. He asked one of the engineers about the extended intervals and warranty vs. what if you really wanted your engine to last. The engineer said they'd honor the warranty if done according to their recommendations; but if you really wanted it to last, change it every 3K. That should speak volumes.
I've also seen people get no cost replacement engines out of warranty simply because they did more than the mfg. recommended and had proof to back it up. I got a customer 50% coverage on a transmission out of warranty because we could go to the mfg. and support the claim of proper maintenance on the vehicle.

Sponsored

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
MOBILE ONE is what is put in all Porsches from Stuttgart, for a reason... It Is Free to P-cars, BUT it is great oil, however M! gets to put a sticker on the cars to recommend owners to keep using it. I'm a PCA race tech and many P-Car owners race their cars, a lot switch to Royal Purple or DRIVEN oil. My car has only seen M1 but I drive pace car and am not under so much pressure.

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Driving a vehicle very infrequently is also bad on it- tires don't get flexed enough, water in the motor collects and doesn't get burned off, battery doesn't discharged and charged. Manuals often say that's "heavy" useage as far as servicing goes.
Yep, that's why I try to make use of the pup any chance I get. :cool:

Jerry

Last edited:

BlueOval5.0

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-150 SuperCab XLT, 5.4L 3V, Chrome Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks. Some good info here.

I just picked my Mav EB up yesterday. I plan to change every 5k as I did with my 2017 Escape with 2.0EB.

The one question I do have is whether it would be wise to do the first change at 1k or just wait until 5k?

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1k imo

RedBarron

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've yet to do my first change, but after some reviews I'm probably going with Pennzoil Platinum full synth. given I can match the required standards, or exceed them. Based on the results, it beats out many of the bigger name brands that have already been mentioned.
I still say that it's not so much important as conventional, semi, or full synth. as it is frequency of changing it. I rarely go the duration recommended by the mfg. and change more frequently. And depending upon where you live and how much you drive, this should be something considered; especially if you're in conditions which are deemed severe. There are also numerous reasons why it's beneficial too. One, oil still picks up contaminants from combustion and condensation from temperature changes -- it's what eats as seals and gaskets. Two, I've worked at dealerships most of my life and I've never seen a mfg. deny a potential warranty claim if the vehicle has been properly serviced more often than they recommended and doesn't show signs of abuse. Just have the receipts to prove it!

Family friends son worked for GM. He asked one of the engineers about the extended intervals and warranty vs. what if you really wanted your engine to last. The engineer said they'd honor the warranty if done according to their recommendations; but if you really wanted it to last, change it every 3K. That should speak volumes.
I've also seen people get no cost replacement engines out of warranty simply because they did more than the mfg. recommended and had proof to back it up. I got a customer 50% coverage on a transmission out of warranty because we could go to the mfg. and support the claim of proper maintenance on the vehicle.
I follow guy on TikTok who

I follow guy on TikTok he swears by Penn platinum - I was long user of mobil
1. He does all of he testing that proves Penn is one of the best. I switched over to it myself. His test shows amsoil, purple and few others are good as well. Additive packages in them.
Sponsored