2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The turbo version will be more fun, but it will cost you in terms of upfront cost, gas, and maintenance.

For perspective, my twin turbo 3.5 needs 2 new turbo's, I'm looking at a $4,000 repair bill. Granted they lasted 150,000 miles.

Anyway I'm getting the hybrid
Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the ice and snow here I use snow tires on AWD. One or the other is not enough.

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Myself I already have a 2020 Ford Ranger FX4 so while getting this as an AWD FX4 might be nice, I don't really need it so I'm opting for the Hybrid. For me this will be a street truck, it will be replacing a car as my family's second vehicle. I've driven a few dirt roads and through some fields with my old Camry so I'm not too worried about this truck only being FWD.

If you only had one vehicle I could see the benefit in going the 2.0 AWD as a compromise between MPG and capabilities.

Last edited:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm also very split. The fact that the hybrid is standard and the 2 liter/AWD combo adds ~$4000 plus gets poorer gas mileage makes this a tough choice.

OP
OP

MacGyver

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
A tough decision indeed. This would be my vehicle, my wife drives a suburu outback which we'd choose for most family trips.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm also very split. The fact that the hybrid is standard and the 2 liter/AWD combo adds ~$4000 plus gets poorer gas mileage makes this a tough choice.
you got bad info on the cost $ adder for 2.0/AWD.

looking at my build sheet it lists AWD with 2.0L EcoBoost Engine............................... $3305

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The turbo version will be more fun, but it will cost you in terms of upfront cost, gas, and maintenance.

For perspective, my twin turbo 3.5 needs 2 new turbo's, I'm looking at a $4,000 repair bill. Granted they lasted 150,000 miles.

Anyway I'm getting the hybrid
not just more fun, but far more capable at better entry price point than any mid size truck out there. Also, we are retired and don't drive the standard assumption of 10-15k miles per year. My 2013 Jeep GC has 52k, my wife's 2014 Outback has 32k, our 2018 F-150 has 12k. Our longest drives are ~2k miles 1-2 times per year per vehicle. Using my wife's Subi as sample calculator since she bought it after retiring, our daily drivers probably average 4571 miles per year. I'm 63 with life expectancy to 83. This Maverick will replace my Jeep as daily driver, so I'll maybe have 91,420 miles on the Mav by the time I die or can't drive anymore. Powertrain warranty will cover 1st 5 years and those turbos will outlive me :ROFLMAO:

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my understanding and experience is the hybrid MPG savings shows in city stop and go driving not highway speeds. Another question would be what type of driving do you do the most.

The longer you drive at speed the less they hybrid MPG will show.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
you got bad info on the cost $ adder for 2.0/AWD.

looking at my build sheet it lists AWD with 2.0L EcoBoost Engine............................... $3305
You have to "read the fine print" and watch the price change.

For example, Lariat Hybrid starting price is $25,490. Switching to 2.0L EB, adds $1,085 for a total of $26,575. Add in AWD, price increases an additional $3,305. Being AWD requires 2.0L EB, they need to go together for a total of $4,390 over Hybrid.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,
I made a reservation on June 9th a two dealers, both about 5 miles from my house. One said they'd call me back when order banks open and the other said they could place an order right away. I made an appointment, placed an order on the 12th, and received an e-mail confirmation of my order from Ford. XLT 2.0 AWD with luxery package in Carbonized Gray for ~$29,500. She was excited because this was the first Maverick order at their dealership. However, I'm torn between the 2.0 and the 2.5. My salesperson let me know that I can change the build up until Monday or Tuesday. I was hoping y'all could help me decide based on the utility I'm wanting out of this truck.

I'm not planning on towing any thing substantial, maybe a kayak trailer in the future. I work from home now, so gas milage isn't all that important to me, although it'd be nice to finally own a hybrid because I do care about the environment. Where I live in the northeast, there's usually a few pretty big ice/snow storms each year. If I went without the AWD, I could easily just stay off the roads if they were bad. I'll probably get a truck rack to load longer items and a canoe onto.

Initially I didn't consider going without the AWD, but the dealer was really pushing the hybrid (anyone know why?). The more I'm thinking about it, the more it makes sense, especially with the build price coming down to ~$26,200 and gas savings of around $500 yearly.

Does anyone have any opinions either way? Or is maybe in a similar situation? I've heard good things about both power trains, so I think I'd be happy either way, but would like some advice.

Thanks!

IMO, if gas mileage isn't a concern for you, I'd suggest going with the AWD.

I'm not sure why Ford is pushing the hybrid, though I can think of a few possible reasons. First, I think Ford is making their hybrid components in-house, now; so, it could be Ford wants to make sure the hybrid sales are high enough to justify the investment and/or keep the hybrid components division open. Second, it could be Ford is trying to increase overall MPG of their line-up. Third, maybe Ford is trying to establish itself as a "leader" in hybrid and electric vehicles?

Sponsored

Granger Ford

2.0L EcoBoost
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My salesperson let me know that I can change the build up until Monday or Tuesday.
Just my thoughts but do not put yourself under any pressure to make a decision based on what you were told above...

Salespeople have no idea of when vehicles get picked and scheduled...

Unless FORD starts Previewing them tomorrow you will be able to make any changes you want until they Preview and assign a VIN...

I would think that this would happen in July at the earliest, not this month...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have to "read the fine print" and watch the price change.

For example, Lariat Hybrid starting price is $25,490. Switching to 2.0L EB, adds $1,085 for a total of $26,575. Add in AWD, price increases an additional $3,305. Being AWD requires 2.0L EB, they need to go together for a total of $4,390 over Hybrid.
nope. I had my sheet printout in front of me as I posted that. I've done the B&P configuration about 5 times now and always the same. Starting with base XL (MSRP $21080), and each option I add updates my summary in real time. Each time I go to Powertrains section and select "AWD with 2.0L EcoBoost Engine (those 2 go together as 1 line item) it clicks up $3305 and at the end that is exactly the amount shown on summary print out each time. Can't speak for any other trim level like Lariat or adding options in some other sequence, but mine is consistent :unsure:

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
nope. I had my sheet printout in front of me as I posted that. I've done the B&P configuration about 5 times now and always the same. Starting with base XL (MSRP $21080), and each option I add updates my summary in real time. Each time I go to Powertrains section and select "AWD with 2.0L EcoBoost Engine (those 2 go together as 1 line item) it clicks up $3305 and at the end that is exactly the amount shown on summary print out each time. Can't speak for any other trim level like Lariat or adding options in some other sequence, but mine is consistent :unsure:
Those sneaky bastards updated it. For the past week, and up to early this morning, it always showed the way I described it. Just went and tried again and increases the base price from going from Hybrid to 2.0L. The price on the option when selecting on the B&P still lists an additional $3,305, but the summary below it is listed as $2,220 in options with AWD being only thing selected. My build is "cheaper", I guess. Haha!

Edit 1:
For me, full size spare is included under the Lariat Luxury package, but does not automatically include the selection on the B&P. It still allows you to add the option as a stand-alone with the Luxury package selected. Another $115 I can scrap off my build. Lol.

Edit 2:
I saw this mentioned in another thread how the massive overlap between 4K Tow and FX4 when you read the option set and when they are included together.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MacGyver

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
@Granger Ford

Thank you for that bit of insider information. I'll probably continue to mull this over for a bit. If I do end up wanting to change my build and it's too late, I'll just have to live with that.

I am truly hyped for this truck and it checks a lot of my boxes either way.

Gray Beard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a truck
I’m on the fence as well. I don’t know much about hybrids, but at a glance the hp and torque numbers seem pretty weak for a truck with 191 and 150. Not a criticism really, more of a concern. Are those stats strong enough to move a truck of this size, especially if I did happen to have 1500 lbs in the bed? The torque seems especially low, but likely I just don’t know how hybrids move power across the board.

Now, the turbo seems like the right kind of stats here, but at the cost of better mpg, and as a daily driver that 40mpg from the hybrid is extremely appealing.
Sponsored