First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The best way to tell if you need an oil change it check your oil.

Does the level look good? Is the oil clean and lighter colored?

Or is it dark, smells like gas.

Lots of things can affect turbo'd engine oil:

• outside temp
  • driving habits
  • hard running/shutting off quickly after
  • many boosts
  • quality of oil
  • recirc

and as someone else said - its furthered by the direct injection.

honda's had a pretty bad problem with it in recent engines.
For me 3000 mi interval is max on any direct injection boosted engine. Unless the vehicle is leased.
Sponsored

Pats-Celts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Coming from a very experienced owner of direct injection turbo 4 cylinders, change your oil every 5k.
I had an 04 GTI and changed the oil every 5k with VW certified oil and sold the car 215k miles and it was still running strong. At 140k I had the valve cover gaskets done and the mechanic was very impressed with the lack of carbon buildup.
I then bought a 2012 GTi and when I first got it I went by the manual and changed the oil every 10k with VW approved oil. The timing chain skipped a tooth at 40k and again at 76k and had to be replaced both times. They wouldn’t say why the chains failed but the mechanic told me to start changing the oil every 5k. I started doing that and haven’t had a problem since. It has 177k now and runs excellent.

Maverickgirl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is the recommended oil change? My Maverick has 3500 on it was going to change next week before I go on a road trip with my daughter. I was thinking it was 5k
my dealership told me it should be good for 8k before an oil change!

Snartman619

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grey Ford Ranger Stx Fx2 Super Cab
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just hit 4k miles today. Probably in the next few days i will get my first oil change at Walmart.

Sponsored

Cybertubbster

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape and 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Since earlier in the week, I have been planning to hit the road this weekend, and during a fluid inspection on my 2022 EcoBoost-powered Ford Maverick, I discovered that my oil was trashed. I am talking about dark, with a burnt and gas smell. Although it is pretty HOT out here in Southwest Florida, the viscosity was also quite heaving for a 5W 30. I am not sure if Ford is shipping these trucks with a unique break-in formulation, but if your odometer has clocked more the 2500 miles, I think you need to consider an oil service soon, rather than later. Here is my experience with a few extra mods. As always, your comments and suggestions are always welcome!
I checked my oil today at the 2500 mile interval because I was curious about the dirty burnt oil you had discovered. I’m glad to say that my oil level was full and still very clean.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The owner's manual tells me to watch for the reminder and change it every 3-5 k if it's under extreme temps, towing or extended idling. Otherwise, I'm replacing the crankcase with 5.7 quarts of 0W-20 full synthetic oil from Motorcraft since every Walmart carries that brand. The Motorcraft FL-910-S filter is $3.97. The reminder on my Edge comes on closer to the 6 month time interval since we clock less than 6k miles per year.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thius guy I saw on YouTube has one of each so I wonder if he will wait until 10k... Ford Maverick Maniac

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The owners manual says the truck will tell you. It doesn’t say anywhere that you should decide. The oil life monitor is smart enough to know the operating conditions.

So the answer is - change it when it says to, if it says oil service required at 5,000 then do it. If it says it at 10,000 then do it.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone likes single case points as definitive proof, here's a good one:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/465-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/?ispreloading=1

It's a long thread, so I'll summarize for those lacking the time to read through it.

Over on the F150 forum where I also participate, this guy, who basically drives 24/7 for his job, put 465K on a 2.7 F150 over 5-6 years with no issues. Maintenance was performed PER THE OLM (~10K intervals) for the entire 465K.

So, the OLM is not the kiss of death many seem to think.

Sponsored

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Your correct on the 5k recommendation.......But, the first 2500 miles is breaking-in the engine, valves, crankshafts, camshaft,valves etc. The original oil is cleaning all this break-in "crap" in it's process. I'd strongly recommend changing it at 2500 miles simply to get the initial break-in junk outta the engine. If Ford says 5k, they must be comfortable with that number, but after 55 years
of driving experience, I've learned that fresh clean oil is your cheapest guarantee for engine longevity! IMHO
I agree, I worked for BMW/MB for 40 years they have free oil changes at 10k at leased they did when I was working. Car company's aren't worried what happens after your warranty is up, so change your oil at 10k and when your turbo motor blows at 60/70/80k see what they tell you! Am doing my first oil change at 2500/3000 and every 5000 after that. Watch the ford guy on the tube, who knows better than a guy that works on these vehicles every day and tears down these motors, I agree with him completely.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
From Ford

When Should I Get My Vehicle’s Oil Changed?
One of the most important, and often overlooked, things you can do for your vehicle is to maintain a regular schedule of oil changes and periodically check your oil levels. Proper oil maintenance is important in keeping your engine running smooth and longer. Many automotive repairs are the direct result of improper motor oil servicing and maintenance. See below for a comprehensive list of possible oil related issues with your Ford vehicle.

• Part of basic auto maintenance is to periodically check your oil. In addition to making sure your oil level is satisfactory, you’ll also want to make note of the oil’s color. New oil has a light tint to it, while oil that needs to be changed is dirty and dark. If it’s dark, it’s time to change your oil.
  • The easiest signs that your vehicle requires an oil change can be observed right from the driver’s seat. If your oil change reminder light comes on, it’s a good time to come see our service team for your regularly scheduled maintenance. Likewise, if your oil check light illuminates, this usually indicates that your oil level has dropped to an unsatisfactory level and that your engine doesn’t have enough oil to run properly. There are other reasons the light might come on, but it’s important not to ignore the warning.
  • If your oil level light is backlit, shut off your vehicle as soon as possible. If you’re unable to have a complete oil change immediately, add oil to your engine then restart your vehicle to see if the light shuts off. If the light remains lit, it could be an oil pump issue and it’s best to promptly take your vehicle to a mechanic.
  • Getting ready to take the family on a long road trip? It’s a good idea to get your oil changed before and even after multiday trips. Long trips are harder on your engine due to the length of time your engine’s oil is heated. The heat causes motor oil to break down at a quicker rate.
  • Drivers of older vehicles may notice engine “knocking” while driving. This can be a sign that your engine doesn’t have enough oil. Oil is the lubricant that allows engine parts to move without burning up the motor, and if you hear a faint tap-tap sound, this could be the issue. Even if your oil level is sufficient, if the engine oil is old, knocking still may occur.
  • Overheating can occur even when your coolant levels are normal. If your engine’s oil level falls too low, the remaining oil in your engine will not have enough time to cool while your engine is running. If you notice that your engine temperature is rising or get a temperature warning, but your engine is good on coolant, make sure you check your oil levels next. Remember, do not check your coolant until your engine is cool to the touch!
  • If you notice a bluish tint to any smoke coming from your exhaust, there’s a good chance that oil is leaking into your engine and the oil is mixing/burning with your fuel. It could also be a sign that oil is leaking directly onto your exhaust system. There are many situations where minor oil leaks can occur, but you’ll also want to check your oil level immediately and top off your level if necessary.
  • Many of today’s cars come equipped with automatic shutoff if the vehicle’s oil pressure drops too low. Before taking your stalling vehicle in for service, check to make sure that your oil level is satisfactory.
  • If you smell oil from inside your vehicle, you have an oil leak and what you’re smelling is the oil burning on your hot engine. Your Ford Service factory-trained technician has the diagnostic tools to isolate the leak and suggest repair solutions.
If you encounter any of these oil-related issues, there’s no better time to schedule a service appointment at your Ford dealership. Even if your warranty has expired, we recommend continuing to bring your vehicle back to your Ford dealership. Our ASE and Ford Service factory-trained technicians know your Ford vehicle and can make recommendations to help avoid future issues.

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Back in the day the practice was to run the new car/truck for 1000 miles and change the oil, then after every 3000 miles.

I have a little over 3500 miles and will get it changed soon.
Oil is better today and the manufacturing process is better. Don't find flakes of metal in the oil like was common back in the day.

I paid for the extra warranty and got 10 oil changes so off to the dealer I will go.

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Regardless of your intentions, be aware that the factory filter is smaller than the recommended replacement.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased my truck out of town, after the 150 mile trip home i took a oil sample and sent it off. I now have a baseline for when i do my oil change which will be at 7500 miles. If i need to adjust mileage based off real data i will otherwise i will keep up the 7500 mile change. Ive done this on my last 4 new vehicles. My Colorado and GTI get an oil change every 10k miles using Amsoil and honestly i could go longer but they are under warrantly so i wont.
Sponsored