First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I wanted a hot-rod compact truck, I'd probably go with the Santa Cruz. My Maverick will replace a Toyota Prius-C as my run-around, do-everything vehicle, with occasional Home Depot runs and trips between Austin and Dallas. Probably 90% of my driving is now "urban" with options to either drive surface streets or take a toll-road. Given the better mileage in urban driving, I'll probably avoid freeways a lot more.

Personally, I'd go with the XLT option, but my wife really likes the adaptive cruise control and wants our truck to have it, even if that means spending the extra $$ for the Lariat/Lux/360 package.

I with the Maverick was available in a "sage green" color, which I think would look fantastic! Instead, we've got a lot of "blue / gray" choices, along with black, white, red, and ***Orange***. I'm kind of leaning towards the orange, just to be different.
Where do you get hot rod ideas for the cruz?
Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting about the four states with the most Mavericks.
Most of the innovative Cats live in these states.... But there is only one there that can be called Great..... and it does not start with a C or an M...... I will give a hint it starts with T 🙌

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some of the most populous states. New York is probably not much of a truck state.
Not much of a personal vehicle state in general. It has the lowest numbers of vehicles, per capita, of any state https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_vehicles_per_capita
Take New York City and environs out of the equation and New York is probably as much a personal vehicle and truck state as anywhere. In fact, I'd bet the per capita vehicle numbers would jump high on the list in that case.

West of I-87 and everything north of I-84, NY state is pretty rural.

wardamntexas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWD, 4K, Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Take New York City and environs out of the equation and New York is probably as much a personal vehicle and truck state as anywhere. In fact, I'd bet the per capita vehicle numbers would jump high on the list in that case.

West of I-87 and everything north of I-84, NY state is pretty rural.
Take NYC out and the population drops to #8, too

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Where do you get hot rod ideas for the cruz?
LOL - from my right foot, mostly!

But that was a poor choice of words on my part, I suppose... I meant that if I was mostly concerned with zero-to-60 or 1/4 mile times, the Santa Cruz seems to do that even better than the Maverick ECO, based on reviews I've seen.

But the Maverick just makes more sense for me – a high-efficiency vehicle that can also carry the occasional "truck-ish" load from Home Depot / Lowes is exactly what I'm looking for in a new vehicle. I got to test-drive a Maverick with the 2.0 ECO, and it's a hoot to drive – maybe even "too much right-foot fun" for me... I would be tempted to "hot rod" around WAY more than I should with that engine, with adverse impact to both my fuel milage and my driver's license points... The Hybrid seems plenty fast enough (WAY quicker than my current driver - a Prius-C). It has plenty of power to get onto the freeway or accelerate with traffic, and it's actually quite fun to drive "stop-light to stop-light," as well. I can't wait to get mine!

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL - from my right foot, mostly!

But that was a poor choice of words on my part, I suppose... I meant that if I was mostly concerned with zero-to-60 or 1/4 mile times, the Santa Cruz seems to do that even better than the Maverick ECO, based on reviews I've seen.

But the Maverick just makes more sense for me – a high-efficiency vehicle that can also carry the occasional "truck-ish" load from Home Depot / Lowes is exactly what I'm looking for in a new vehicle. I got to test-drive a Maverick with the 2.0 ECO, and it's a hoot to drive – maybe even "too much right-foot fun" for me... I would be tempted to "hot rod" around WAY more than I should with that engine, with adverse impact to both my fuel milage and my driver's license points... The Hybrid seems plenty fast enough (WAY quicker than my current driver - a Prius-C). It has plenty of power to get onto the freeway or accelerate with traffic, and it's actually quite fun to drive "stop-light to stop-light," as well. I can't wait to get mine!
Hmm the maverick does 6.56 in sport mode … It will propel the Santa Cruz from 0 to 60 MPH in about 6.5 seconds, quicker than any midsize truck and comparable to Ford's new small truck, the Maverick so they do the same ? Haven’t seen enough reviews on Santa Cruz speed

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Nothing new in this article. If I recall correctly, when Ford talked order volumes coming from these 4 states, they basically matched their population density % compared to other locations - news headline reading largest states have most order probably doesn't read as well? 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, by reading this the AWD is vastly more popular!

In the last three months of 2021, Ford sold over 13,000 Mavericks. Just 2,311 of those were hybrid models.

Well, as Maury likes to say. That was a lie.

Finally, I believe XLT and A51 being the most popular trim/color options could be easily discovered looking at this forum's own order tracking data. We have what, probably 5,000 orders tracked at this point? Much larger than a statistical sampling to show that surprise, the cool color and nicely spec'd mid-trim are the most popular.

Almost like Ford planned it!
Texas is pickup country.

AndrewinMD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Texas is pickup country.
One thing that surprised me about Texas, at least when I lived there 20 years ago, was that while there were trucks EVERYWHERE, most of them were 2WD and not 4WD, even though it was a rural area. Times may have changed since AWD is much more common these days, but when I bought a Dodge Dakota* back then, I remember the dealer telling me that 4WD just wasn't that common.

*I loved that truck but only kept it for a year. Sure, I like my hybrid now, but that V8 in the little pickup was awesome. :)

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
One thing that surprised me about Texas, at least when I lived there 20 years ago, was that while there were trucks EVERYWHERE, most of them were 2WD and not 4WD, even though it was a rural area. Times may have changed since AWD is much more common these days, but when I bought a Dodge Dakota* back then, I remember the dealer telling me that 4WD just wasn't that common.

*I loved that truck but only kept it for a year. Sure, I like my hybrid now, but that V8 in the little pickup was awesome. :)
Not enough cold weather maybe? Today though you see a lot of 4x4 diesels, they are so front heavy some of them could get stuck in a rain puddle. Also, since 1/2 ton full size trucks have become so nice and much more fuel efficient than say 20 yrs ago, they seem to be much more common. I'm 62 and have a small ranch that's been in the family for 40 years, I just bought my first 4x4 PU in 2015. Gettin too old to deal with the occasional stuck truck! :mad:

TomD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Below is listed the URL for the above subject article.

Points of interest:
  • Most popular model: 50% are XLT's
  • Most popular configuration: XLT, AWD, EB, with 360
  • Sixty percent of buyers came from brands other than Ford
  • In the last three months of 2021, Ford sold over 13K mavericks of which 2100 were hybrids.
  • The bulk of buyers are Gen X'ers or older; not typical for a low priced entry level vehicle.
  • Buyers are primarily located in 4 states: California, Texas, Michigan and Florida
  • 95% of Maverick's retail business is represented by customers who placed retail orders and took delivery with their Ford dealer.
  • Area 51 is most popular paint color

Article does give other info also. Ford Reveals Maverick's Most Popular Configuration, Customers (msn.com)
Only 2100 hybrids? You can’t sell what you don’t have.
for the 2022 model year 70% of the orders were for hybrids yet they only had batteries for 35% of those orders. If you can’t get what you want you take what you can get. I would like to have a second Maverick however I would like a Tremor with the 4000 trailer package. It would work better than the hybrid for my fishing activities.
Sponsored