First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Ridgeline is the definition of midsize. And Honda is afraid? LOL alright then.
Its true its an odd take lol the unibody ridgeline is definitely closer to the maverick than the ranger even haha but the rest of what he said is pretty reasonable i think. He does have one point here: for the price of a ridgeline you can get a F150 lolol
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike_FL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT on order
Agree with all of this. Ive always disliked the ridgeline look. Ive never understood why manufaturers take an suv body style and just slap a truck bed on the back lol seems like lazy designing. Anywho, as per the fuel econ, i’m at about 4000 miles now and just had my first big bump in fuel economy. I’m averaging 30mpg now. Probably 85% highway driving.
I heard from another Ridgeline owner I know and he said he was getting close to 30 as well average.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Its true its an odd take lol the unibody ridgeline is definitely closer to the maverick than the ranger even haha but the rest of what he said is pretty reasonable i think. He does have one point here: for the price of a ridgeline you can get a F150 lolol
You can't get a F150 with similar trim. This whole "for that price I'd just get ___" is strange. They are generally apples and oranges when someone says that. If you are looking at a Ridgeline I doubt a F150 was a consideration. And a similar trim F150 to even base Ridgeline would be thousands more. If you had said Ranger... Maybe. F150 no

OP
OP

Mike_FL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT on order
You can't get a F150 with similar trim. This whole "for that price I'd just get ___" is strange. They are generally apples and oranges when someone says that. If you are looking at a Ridgeline I doubt a F150 was a consideration. And a similar trim F150 to even base Ridgeline would be thousands more. If you had said Ranger... Maybe. F150 no
Having left an F-150 I can attest to this. Ridgeline is considerably smaller, drives/handles like a much smaller vehicle. As I mentioned one of the downsides of the Ridgeline the gas mileage was only slightly better than my f-150, which is one of the primary things pushing me to the Mav.

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Traded in our 2017 Ridgeline for the Maverick. Had right at 50K miles on the Ridgeline - good car but the OP gets it right re: Engine and Infotainment. I’d add that we like the ride of our XLT better, the engine is better for low rev torque, and we do miss the trunk - but added a nice cover so works for us. Someone noted Ridgeline getting 30 mpg…I’d call that a fish tale, no way. We like the slightly smaller size, updated safety tech, and pretty much everything in comparison.

We do not feel we gave up anything for the Maverick - instead we gained a new 3 year warranty and a ride we enjoy better for what was essentially a straight up trade. The $$ of the Ridgeline is a factor and despite begin a different class - a lot of folks will cross-shop the two.

Sponsored

mesajoejoe

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish Honda released a hybrid Mini-Ridge to compete with the Maverick. Only problem is the starting cost would be higher. You just can't beat the value proposition of this Mav. I came from a 2014 Ridgeline SE and yeah I miss the trunk and Honda's design, but this Mav is noice.

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It doesnt have to be similar trim. Its the crossover point that makes the comparison valid lol if 50k gets you some version of ridgeline and some version of F-150, its a comparison you can make. Its all about what features matter to you… anywho, maybe where you live is different. But here, a mid trim ridgeline is the same price as a base F-150 🤷‍♂️

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Traded in our 2017 Ridgeline for the Maverick. Had right at 50K miles on the Ridgeline - good car but the OP gets it right re: Engine and Infotainment. I’d add that we like the ride of our XLT better, the engine is better for low rev torque, and we do miss the trunk - but added a nice cover so works for us. Someone noted Ridgeline getting 30 mpg…I’d call that a fish tale, no way. We like the slightly smaller size, updated safety tech, and pretty much everything in comparison.

We do not feel we gave up anything for the Maverick - instead we gained a new 3 year warranty and a ride we enjoy better for what was essentially a straight up trade. The $$ of the Ridgeline is a factor and despite begin a different class - a lot of folks will cross-shop the two.
Honda fan here and we have a CR-V in the family. They make great vehicles and I am sure the Ridgeline is fantastic.

However I just can’t get past the looks. Don’t know what it is but it has never grown on me.

The Maverick can’t come close to performance of the Honda…..and realistically the quality will most likely not be as good as a Honda.

But you know what….it is a cheap unibody truck that looks like a truck, gets great fuel economy and overall a great value.

Just wish it would show up some day

OP
OP

Mike_FL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT on order
Honda fan here and we have a CR-V in the family. They make great vehicles and I am sure the Ridgeline is fantastic.

However I just can’t get past the looks. Don’t know what it is but it has never grown on me.

The Maverick can’t come close to performance of the Honda…..and realistically the quality will most likely not be as good as a Honda.

But you know what….it is a cheap unibody truck that looks like a truck, gets great fuel economy and overall a great value.

Just wish it would show up some day
Quality doesn't scare me as much when I factor in price. My Ridgeline cost about 42k MSRP. That was for a mid tier package (RTL). My XLT will be solid 12k cheaper. If I were comparing those two I would splurge 2k on a good extended warranty and still save 10k and be worry free about quality issues.

I get it, Honda has great reliability with that engine, but not enough for me to pay that much of a premium. As far as performance, the Ridgeline will tow a little more, but that's about the only major performance difference I can see. And if towing more is useless for my applications and most folks. Towing 4k vs 5k.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Quality doesn't scare me as much when I factor in price. My Ridgeline cost about 42k MSRP. That was for a mid tier package (RTL). My XLT will be solid 12k cheaper. If I were comparing those two I would splurge 2k on a good extended warranty and still save 10k and be worry free about quality issues.

I get it, Honda has great reliability with that engine, but not enough for me to pay that much of a premium. As far as performance, the Ridgeline will tow a little more, but that's about the only major performance difference I can see. And if towing more is useless for my applications and most folks. Towing 4k vs 5k.
I agree with this. It's also about place of the technology curve. My 2015 Edge feels dated on that curve. Ridgeline feels like about 2018 or so. I don't want to spend that kind of money and feel like it's already outdated. While I like the tried and true engine, the fact it is still running a straight V6 when the sector is all in turbos for fuel economy, feels like buying something that is singing its swan song already. And interior wise, as was said it's outdated for sure.

Towing is the siren call of a truck to me. I tow something heavy every 3 years or so. Tow hitch is for racks and baskets. Every so often I rent a utility trailer. Last time I towed heavy was spring break trailer and a golf cart over 2 years ago. I'll take the Tremors 2" of clearance over Ridgeline, which I will potentially use multiple times a year, over 3k of towing I'll use several times a decade. At that rate I'd rather just rent a full size for the occasional heavy tow.

Sponsored

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
Jeep Compass Trailhawk has 8.5" clearance. Bronco Sport Badlands is 8.8". Both are well respects in off road world. Current Maverick is 8.6", and if the Tremor is truly an inch higher its mid 9s. That's nothing to sneeze at, it's on par with a FJ Cruiser. Granted that isn't discussing break over and approach but trucks always suffer there. Maverick is way ahead of the typical crossover come offroader, and 2" more than a Ridgeline (in Tremor). Some people (not necessarily you) are a little over critical of what a Maverick can do, and not comparing it to reasonable competition. Even a Wrangler is going to hear the weeds under the chasis in tall grass. That's why everyone (who has any competence off roading) knows to be careful parking in a field you could catch the grass on fire.
I’m not critical of the Maverick. I really like it. And it meets my needs just fine.
Jeep Compass Trailhawk has 8.5" clearance. Bronco Sport Badlands is 8.8". Both are well respects in off road world. Current Maverick is 8.6", and if the Tremor is truly an inch higher its mid 9s. That's nothing to sneeze at, it's on par with a FJ Cruiser. Granted that isn't discussing break over and approach but trucks always suffer there. Maverick is way ahead of the typical crossover come offroader, and 2" more than a Ridgeline (in Tremor). Some people (not necessarily you) are a little over critical of what a Maverick can do, and not comparing it to reasonable competition. Even a Wrangler is going to hear the weeds under the chasis in tall grass. That's why everyone (who has any competence off roading) knows to be careful parking in a field you could catch the grass on fire.
I’m not criticizing the Maverick. I love it and it meets my need fine. I was coming off a 4Runner with a steel skid plate and I was taken aback by the noise made by the not very high weeds until I thought that it was probably the plastic that was causing the noise. One positive thing I notice is that I frequently drive by an old fallen tree trunk and i.don’t have much room to pass by it. In the 4Runner I always had a momentary sick feeling that the vehicle was going to roll over on its side at the point of maximum lean. I don’t have that feeling at all in the Mav. In this case the lower center of gravity is nice.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The Ridgeline is the definition of midsize. And Honda is afraid? LOL alright then.
Absolutely nothing about the Ridgeline fits the midsize definition. Honda publicly says the Ridgeline was designed for existing Honda owners, not to compete with anyone else. Accept it!

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Absolutely nothing about the Ridgeline fits the midsize definition. Honda publicly says the Ridgeline was designed for existing Honda owners, not to compete with anyone else. Accept it!
Ford Maverick Why I am leaving the Ridgeline billy-madison-dumber