First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MKX, 1980 F150, 2002 Firebird, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why is there a tachometer In the Maverick EB? With an automatic transmission that you can't change gears what is the use?
I sometimes glance down at it to see if the auto start-stop has activated but that's it.

Any ideas what would be a better use of the area taken up by the tach or a better way to indicate auto start-stop is activated?
Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keeping an eye on the tachometer can help gauge how you are driving for fuel economy. Also good for when towing to keep an eye on how hard you are pushing it. But ultimately they don't have a lot of use outside of towing and sports cars.

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
..... I remember the days of almost no gauges and other than the speedometer, just idiot lights... It was a very dumb idea. I'll always go with gauges even if they're not needed like they once were. The best thing in that space is, if not a Tach would be other gauges, water temp, oil temp, transmission temp etc. Ideally, with the ability to scroll through those gauges including a Tach.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me it helps diagnose issues.

Weird rough idle? Boggish acceleration? Loud revving noise? No revving noise? Surging? Ignition wobble? Heating up on a downhill? Bat not charging?

It's not super applicable in nice new cars, but once a vehicle hits 100k+ miles it does definitely come in handy.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keeping an eye on the tachometer can help gauge how you are driving for fuel economy. Also good for when towing to keep an eye on how hard you are pushing it. But ultimately they don't have a lot of use outside of towing and sports cars.
Good points! My experience driving ( only 57 years ) is that the sweet spot for max speed and efficiency on virtually every car Iā€™ve driven, is at 2000 rpmā€™s on the highway. If you have the ability to drop the transmission into a (L)ow gear, you better keep an eye on the tach šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

All the above.
I remember those days too when they got rid of the gauges and went with trouble lights only. Some of them came back but not all. I miss having a voltage gauge.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can use it as a diagnostic if somethings wrong.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you suggesting Ford remove the tachometer? Thats an odd request on an ICE vehicle

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wish they would put more gauges in cars now, load it up like a semi truck, I want to monitor everything.
It's pretty sad the lack of gauges in modern cars. My 1985 Plymouth Voyager minivan had a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
easy way to tell if the engine is actually running and if the transmission is working properly. if you are going 20 mph and it's revving to 4k rpm something is wrong.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wish they would put more gauges in cars now, load it up like a semi truck, I want to monitor everything.
Agree. As an older racer/hotrodder, I just like to monitor status of all the mechanical systems of a car, even tho these new ones take care of everything themselves.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was driving in 109Ā° temps in 75mph zone but since I had no idea what temps were doing (battery, transaxle fluid, drive motor, generator motor, etc) I dropped to 66mph which seems to be a sweeter spot (had very little wind also). If nothing else I felt more comfortable and had no fears of speeding up due to traffic until the next passing zone when necessary.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me, I appreciate it. Ironically I rarely look at the tach in my manual Mustang because itā€™s more of a sound/feel thing to me for when to shift. The tach in that car I check at idle usually when Iā€™m working on it or if something feels off typically.

In the Maverick though, itā€™s too quiet and easy to drive so I check the tach more often to see where itā€™s at RPM-wise. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever fully trust an automatic transmission so I want to make sure itā€™s shifting properly, not stuck in a particular gear, slipping, etc. Same with the engine, if it starts hanging up at specific rev ranges, stumbling, or has an oscillating idle, I want to be able to see it.

Iā€™m in the camp too that I miss cars with gauges. I know the reasons why (typical new thread: oil pressure problems HELP! Gauge keeps fluctuating!) but would have been nice to have it as an option for some of us that understand basic engine mechanics lol that wanted a gauge package, like Mustangs and other cars can get as options.

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Itā€™s to keep us old driverā€™s happy if nothing else.you younger drivers get your technology stuff and we get a tachometer.all vehicles should have onešŸ™ƒ
Sponsored