First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always liked having attack on my vehicles even though I have the hybrid does anybody have a clue how you can add a working tach to this vehicle?
Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are going to get bored. Hybrid engines have a small rpm range compared to standard engine by design and use.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are phone apps and a dongle that have engine and battery readouts.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Part of why the hybrid has no "real" tach (although the information is exposed on the OBD2 bus, and can be seen with a cheap BT OBD2 reader and phone app) is because in addition to operating in a very narrow RPM range unless you floor it, the engine speed also has absolutely no relation to pedal position or vehicle speed, as it's entirely controlled by what the computer thinks is the most optimal RPM at any given time for the conditions present, including battery charging.

So if you add one, what the gauge displays will not make sense for a given speed/pedal input, and that is entirely by design.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Part of why the hybrid has no "real" tach (although the information is exposed on the OBD2 bus, and can be seen with a cheap BT OBD2 reader and phone app) is because in addition to operating in a very narrow RPM range unless you floor it, the engine speed also has absolutely no relation to pedal position or vehicle speed, as it's entirely controlled by what the computer thinks is the most optimal RPM at any given time for the conditions present, including battery charging.

So if you add one, what the gauge displays will not make sense for a given speed/pedal input, and that is entirely by design.
Still, I'd like to see it. As a diagnostic, out of curiosity and because it's familiar. I'd also like to see a couple of volt meters and a temp gauge.

oilman300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still, I'd like to see it. As a diagnostic, out of curiosity and because it's familiar. I'd also like to see a couple of volt meters and a temp gauge.
Cheapest thing is to buy a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle on Amazon and use an app like Torque Pro to display the gauges you want to see.
Sponsored