Sponsored

First oil change (rounded kilometers, not exact conversions)

• Total voters

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've heard (and followed) the advice to "vary the engine speed" during break-in.

But... I'm wondering how that advice works out with a hybrid and an eCVT. I had a regular CVT some time back and it seems like the RPM stayed pretty constant whether I was going 50 or 70. It changed sometimes on hills, but I'm not sure I want to go looking for hills just for break-in.

Anyone have any info on how this works with hybrid-eCVT?
Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've heard (and followed) the advice to "vary the engine speed" during break-in.

But... I'm wondering how that advice works out with a hybrid and an eCVT. I had a regular CVT some time back and it seems like the RPM stayed pretty constant whether I was going 50 or 70. It changed sometimes on hills, but I'm not sure I want to go looking for hills just for break-in.

Good point

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Works the same way but perhaps a good idea to do a fair amount of acceleration/deceleration. Gas on gas off. Doing that loads things up which is what you want.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll change my oil according to the manual.
Seems so absurd not to follow the Owner's Manual. I've picked up at least 12 vehicles directly from the manufacturer of the car, each time doing a walk-around on break-in recommendations - their parting words were always, follow the Owner's Manual...

the manufacturer should know better than anyone else on the planet what is best during a break in period....and what spec motor oil to use....would make no sense for them to give bad advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems so absurd not to follow the Owner's Manual. I've picked up at least 12 vehicles directly from the manufacturer of the car, each time doing a walk-around on break-in recommendations - their parting words were always, follow the Owner's Manual...

the manufacturer should know better than anyone else on the planet what is best during a break in period....and what spec motor oil to use.
Planned obsolescence.

Sponsored

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Planned obsolescence.
I get what you're saying, but manufacturers also warrant their cars for years. The only scenario where the owner's manual is not the best maintenance schedule is if an issue in that first 1000 miles somehow stays totally undetected until 5 years down the road. The chances of such an issue seem astronomically low to me.

OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I get what you're saying, but manufacturers also warrant their cars for years. The only scenario where the owner's manual is not the best maintenance schedule is if an issue in that first 1000 miles somehow stays totally undetected until 5 years down the road. The chances of such an issue seem astronomically low to me.
You’re assuming they will fix a small issue under warranty. My Prius manual says 1qt per thousand mile oil burn is normal.

manuals have said “lifetime” fluids before too 👌. Lifetime only has to be longer than warranty

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly oil filters can get particles down into the microns, 20 or so I believe. I'm super OCD and will be keeping this truck for 10+ years so before pickup I'll be getting some magnets to pop on the pan if its not composite, a magnetic drain plug after the first oil change, and filter magnets as well.

Also some liquimoly friction modifiers into the oil. Also will be doing a transmission fluid flush at 10k with a change or clean up of filter for that too. Heck throw some magnets on the transmission too...

http://www.filtermag.com/
Keep in mind that the engine is Aluminum which is a non ferrous material and as such a magnet will not remove pieces of aluminum from the oil. this is not to say that a magnet is a bad idea its just not foolproof.

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep in mind that the engine is Aluminum which is a non ferrous material and as such a magnet will not remove pieces of aluminum from the oil. this is not to say that a magnet is a bad idea its just not foolproof.
you are 100% correct the block is aluminum but many other wear parts, camshaft, crankshaft, piston rings, oil pump/chains and whatever else may be there usually are ferrous, I'm going to be as OCD as possible and throw magnets wherever I can.

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
you are 100% correct the block is aluminum but many other wear parts, camshaft, crankshaft, piston rings, oil pump/chains and whatever else may be there usually are ferrous, I'm going to be as OCD as possible and throw magnets wherever I can.
Check out dimple drain plugs. I’ve put them in 2 cars and 2 motorcycles now and they have STRONG magnets!

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Follow the manual, what else? I will take it easy the first 1000 miles as they suggest, but I will change the oil around then. Can't hurt, might help. After that the goal is do what the manual says, error on the side of safety.

The newer oils are really good. Unless you beat on it you should be fine.

oldfatguy

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997ranger 2006 fusion 2001 bmw330ci 2004.5w3500
drove normal ,i live in a rural area so no high speeds involved , i changed oil yesterday with about 1500 miles on it , i will have lots of short trips so the plan is 4 to 5 k miles running good full sythetic for the next 200 plus k miles

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Used to change a new vehicle at 500 miles, but with synthetic oils that are so slick the manufacturers put special additives in the oil to aid in break in.
Excellent point. My first brand new car was a Honda Civic, and thinking to take the best care possible, I switched to full synthetic right away, around 300 miles. Over the next few months I was getting terrible fuel economy. Finally one day I was talking to a mechanic, and he told me it was because the synthetic oil was not allowing the engine to properly break in. So I switched back to a standard oil for the next 3000 miles. My fuel economy improved dramatically. The next oil change I went back to full synthetic and have been using it ever since. The car now has 107,000 miles and never needs oil added between oil changes.

RicksMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 Lariat Lux 1$tED 4k AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs