Sponsored

Is breaking in the engine really a thing?

docsmith1511

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT LUX velocity blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I soon will be flying up to Philadelphia to pick up my Mav after my order date of 8-2-2022. To get it home I will have to travel a bit over 800 miles. Should I drive it differently than any other car I have driven because it's new?
Sponsored

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On a hybrid, you barely have to do anything special to break it in, since the engine kind of comes and goes on it's own.

Still, you should try not to hear the engine running at about the same load & RPM for very long periods. Slowly change pressure on the gas pedal as traffic allows of course.

Avoid any power above about the 50% level as shown on the dash dial. OK if you do higher power once in a while in the first 500 miles, but try to keep it down to close to 50%.

The whole idea of a good break-in is to give the rings a variety of twisting to get them polished equally on the curved surface where they meet the cylinder surface.

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On a hybrid, you barely have to do anything special to break it in, since the engine kind of comes and goes on it's own.

Still, you should try not to hear the engine running at about the same load & RPM for very long periods. Slowly change pressure on the gas pedal as traffic allows of course.

Avoid any power above about the 50% level as shown on the dash dial. OK if you do higher power once in a while in the first 500 miles, but try to keep it down to close to 50%.

The whole idea of a good break-in is to give the rings a variety of twisting to get them polished equally on the curved surface where they meet the cylinder surface.

What he said ^^^^^^ :)

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it is a hybrid... With this being the first year of this engine in the Mav, we, the public are secondary Guinea Pigs. Keep your acceleration smooth. No gunning it to pass to pass or pull-out. Don't slam from reverse to drive and vice versa. The engine switches seamlessly between electric and gas. Reverse is always electric. The brakes are touchy. So Baby it until you get the feel for it and enjoy the spectacular gas mileage.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With this being the first year of this engine in the Mav, we, the public are secondary Guinea Pigs.
This isn't the first year of this engine. Escape/Corsair have been using it since 2020MY, and it's an up-displacement revision of the engine Ford has been using in their hybrids for some 15 years.

chuckles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crippled f150 10r80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This isn't the first year of this engine. Escape/Corsair have been using it since 2020MY, and it's an up-displacement revision of the engine Ford has been using in their hybrids for some 15 years.
The Duratec Atkinson-Cycle engine has been around in different variants since the 2006 model year. Originally as a 2.3L, bumped to 2.5L before dropping down to 2.0L for 8 years. When it moved back over to Escape, it was bumped back up to 2.5L. Presumably some refinements have occurred along the way. The transmission has seen the same.

That said, Maverick uses the same engine that Escape had for a couple years prior. The transmission is an adaptation of the same with a new in-house electric motor, but based on the same. Overall, both of these components have proven highly reliable, as has the battery tech.

2006-2008 Escape - 2.3L
2006-2008 Mariner - 2.3L
2009-2010 Mariner - 2.5L
2009-2012 Escape - 2.5L
2010-2012 Fusion - 2.5L
2013-2020 Fusion - 2.0L
2013-2018 C-Max - 2.0L
2020+ Escape - 2.5L
2020+ Corsair - 2.5L
2022+ Maverick - 2.5L

Additionally, please reference this thread on breaking in brakes. ;)

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/bedding-the-brakes.19401/
Actually, please don't break the brakes. ;)

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Vehicle engines are built and assembled to exacting tolerances and assembled with precise torque specifications. With modern smaller displacement engines revving higher and producing higher power output it is critical to allow components to seat and wear in properly to maximize longevity of the engine. Rule of thumb I learned is 1/2 throttle max with short occasional Runs up to Redline and back down during recommended break in period gives best outcomes over the life of the engine. Personally I do this until 1st oil change before things like cutting loose in Sport mode and towing which puts more load and stress on the engine.
YMMV

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In general, "breaking in an engine" is not really a thing anymore. On hybrids especially, nothing needed to do by you as the computer is 100% in control of what the engine is doing at all times - not you.

For regular gasoline engines, the computers in today's vehicles are programed to operate the engine differently depending on mileage. In early and late stages of the engine's life it has set parameters and limits as to what it will allow the engine to do in terms of speed, load, timing and other metrics - to protect the engine. So more often than not, the computer is handling your "break in period" for you in setting timing, rev limits and other performance settings.

Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Page 273 of the owners manual outlines the break in period for the Maverick.

Ford Maverick Is breaking in the engine really a thing? break in1

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

LOL

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought breaking in was still as important, but my service advisor said it's not as important. Just to keep the RPMs under 2,500 on long stretches and not to haul/tow anything. For 1,000 miles. I did half what you're going to do everything is working good I'm at 6,469 miles now. I know it costs more now, but I used premium fuel during the break-in.

Ford Maverick Is breaking in the engine really a thing? Screenshot_20221020-100346

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Page 273 of the owners manual outlines the break in period for the Maverick.

break in1.png
I was given this advise when I picked up my maverick. This advice has been around for years. The 2.0 Eco Bust is all aluminum so I followed their advice. Back in the day the break in time was 3000 miles with a oil change at 3000 then every 5000 miles. I still change oil every 5000 miles. I keep my cars for 12 to 15 years and have never rebuilt an engine. My 73 Triumph has 90000 miles on it drive in, spring, summer and fall only. My 2009 Accord has 190000 miles on it and runs great. Our 2017 Pacifica has 97,000 miles on it. I bought the Maverick to replace the accord. Following the maintenance schedule keeps a car on the road a long time. I plan to follow the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual On the Maverick as have done on all my cars. I take my cars to the dealers for all maintenance except the Triumph (N/A out of business).

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was given this advise when I picked up my maverick. This advice has been around for years. The 2.0 Eco Bust is all aluminum so I followed their advice. Back in the day the break in time was 3000 miles with a oil change at 3000 then every 5000 miles. I still change oil every 5000 miles. I keep my cars for 12 to 15 years and have never rebuilt an engine. My 73 Triumph has 90000 miles on it drive in, spring, summer and fall only. My 2009 Accord has 190000 miles on it and runs great. Our 2017 Pacifica has 97,000 miles on it. I bought the Maverick to replace the accord. Following the maintenance schedule keeps a car on the road a long time. I plan to follow the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual On the Maverick as have done on all my cars. I take my cars to the dealers for all maintenance except the Triumph (N/A out of business).
Changing oil is cheap insurance. The synthetics today are so much better that the cheapest walmart supertech synthetic is worlds better than the best oils from the 1970's. If the manual says synthetic at 10k, you will be fine following their recommendations. I still change mine at about 5k and am just getting ready for my mavs first oil change at 3k due to break in. You also shouldnt go more than about a year even if you dont drive it much.
Sponsored