Sponsored

First oil change (rounded kilometers, not exact conversions)

• Total voters

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Me too. Which also means I’m not keeping it under 70 on the way home
Important thing during break in is to vary your speed and don’t use the cruise for 1000 miles.
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you say you would hesitate to change the oil at low miles do you see a potential issue with new oil? I particularly like the opportunity to break in a car exactly how I want to. I’ve been stuck with oil burning sludged up engines in the past.
Yes, new oil change would not have the break in additives that I believe the factory puts in during production. When I worked at a Subaru store delivering cars, we always told customers to keep the factory oil in the vehicle for at least 1000 miles. New synthetic oil will not break in your engine properly.

Last edited:

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First oil change will be around 3000 mi. - If my truck arrives in Dec. and lots of short trip cold weather happens, probably change it as soon as winter breaks. Probably will not log a lot a miles in Dec, Jan, and February. Hopefully the stock synthetic oil is a robust blend.

As a believer in this " Break it in slow, it will always be slow. Break it in fast, it will always be fast." While I do not thrash on my new engines I don't baby them either. Every new vehicle I have owned, during the first few dozen heat cycles, after fully warmed up, gets a trip to the upper reaches of the rev band. You have to put combustion pressure on those rings to make them seat. Have never had one that I broke in, use oil later in life. My current F-150 uses no oil and it was broken in as described above.

Last edited:

Txjay

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This Video contains a lot of valuable details on not just engine break-in but break-in oil changes, filling your gas tank, tire pressure and day of delivery checks.

It is for Toyota vehicles but the speaker is a Master Diagnostic Technician and has very good advice in how to get your vehicle to last many many years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Summing up the Break-in advice:

Avoid Sudden Stops the first 200 miles

Engine Break-in advice for the first 1000 miles:

Avoid Hard Acceleration
Avoid Driving in Low Gears for a very long time
Avoid Driving at Excessive High Speeds
Avoid long Trips at a Steady Engine Speed
Do Not Tow for first 500 miles

First oil change should happen after the 1000 mile break-in period.

Since I plan to keep my Maverick for as long as my previous Ford 1998 Ranger that I had for 16 years I plan to follow the above advice.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This’ll be the first new car for me. I’m interested in the break in period too. If it goes by miles driven it may take me A LONG TIME to get to a mileage threshold. I only put 7-10 miles per day going back and forth to work, maybe 4 times a week too.
Get out for a drive over the weekends - just go explore and break in that new engine!~

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are are everyone’s plans for breaking in the Maverick? I plan to change the oil right after the first 1k miles and not drive at speeds in excess of 70MPH until that point. I also plan to change the trans fluid after 10k

The manual does not say it needs an oil change after 1k miles but won’t hurt as long as the oil fluid is properly recycled.

per the manual “BREAKING-IN” page 273 “avoid driving at high speeds”. I believe this to be 60MPH but I can’t drive that slow on the interstate, what does everyone think?
88554E69-E372-41DB-9238-0CF83A14E6B0.jpeg

91395D05-1996-4A83-B7DF-6799416C8B7D.png
Break it in the way you are gonna drive it

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are are everyone’s plans for breaking in the Maverick? I plan to change the oil right after the first 1k miles and not drive at speeds in excess of 70MPH until that point. I also plan to change the trans fluid after 10k

The manual does not say it needs an oil change after 1k miles but won’t hurt as long as the oil fluid is properly recycled.

per the manual “BREAKING-IN” page 273 “avoid driving at high speeds”. I believe this to be 60MPH but I can’t drive that slow on the interstate, what does everyone think?
88554E69-E372-41DB-9238-0CF83A14E6B0.jpeg

91395D05-1996-4A83-B7DF-6799416C8B7D.png
When it comes to this sort of thing, I follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I have no problem with keeping my speed under 60 mph or even 55 mph during a break-in period.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1,000 Miles just getting home from the dealer?????
Oh! I'll bet you're one of those people who saved $300-400 by making the purchase out of state.
I'll bet your local dealer will drop everything they can to accommodate you every time you bring it in to them for service or repairs. :sneaky:
I ordered from my local dealer and they
When it comes to this sort of thing, I follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I have no problem with keeping my speed under 60 mph or even 55 mph during a break-in period.
I would but be speed limit is 75MPH coming home from the dealer and If I go 60 I might get killed. I am going to try and take some back roads but I live in BFE

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Better breakout the popcorn.:D
1,000 Miles just getting home from the dealer?????
Oh! I'll bet you're one of those people who saved $300-400 by making the purchase out of state.
I'll bet your local dealer will drop everything they can to accommodate you every time you bring it in to them for service or repairs. :sneaky:
I could be buying closer and making a circuitous fun road trip back to my house. Saving $300 or $400 isn't the reason either and most dealers now make their money on service so I don't think it matters where I buy it. :)

Last edited:

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because of the turbo’s, I change oil on my 2.0L Escape at 3k….

Jbuys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mazda 626, 05 Ford Escape 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am going to do the first oil change at 1500 miles, next one 3500 miles later which would be at 5000 miles and then every 5000 miles from then on. The Maverick will be my first brand new vehicle and I plan on keeping it for 10-15 years, so I plan on doing oil changes more than recommended, I think its cheap insurance. Going to do all the other maintenance at the regular service intervals. I will be doing everything myself since I am a mechanic and I cant stand anyone else working on my vehicles, as far as normal services and such, recalls are different.

Deleted member 1483

It sounds like regular driving would be acceptable. I am not going to make any special considerations for break-in other than leaving it in normal drive mode (no sport or eco) until the 1000 mile mark.

No 0-60 tests for me :)
Sponsored