Sponsored

First oil change (rounded kilometers, not exact conversions)

• Total voters
OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I guess I'll probably go at 5k (conservative) for the first one.
The light should come on based off your driving but I error on the side of caution.

I’ll be interested to see how accessible the oil filter will be. I used to change my own oil on my trailblazer but not on my Audi.
Found an escape hybrid oil change video…I hope there is an access panel for the Maverick

Sponsored

Last edited:

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the light should come on based off your driving by I error on the side of caution. I a

Found an escape hybrid oil change video…I hope there is an access panel for the Maverick

Thanks. That’s not too terrible but not just “open a trap door” to let it drain.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the indicator will come on after 1 year regardless of miles. Page 436 of the owners manual.
That page says:

Your vehicle comes with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, a message appears in the information display at the proper oil change interval. This interval may be up to one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km), hybrid vehicles could exceed 10,000 mi (16,000 km).

Note the "may be". I don't think it comes on automatically at one year.

On page 440 it states:

Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances between oil changes, but do not exceed
the one year maximum oil change interval

Which seems to imply that a Hybrid can exceed distances longer that what the Oil-Life Monitor looks for thus no message will appear. So if you have a Hybrid be sure to change oil by at least one year from the last one.

OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That page says:

Your vehicle comes with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, a message appears in the information display at the proper oil change interval. This interval may be up to one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km), hybrid vehicles could exceed 10,000 mi (16,000 km).

Note the "may be". I don't think it comes on automatically at one year.

On page 440 it states:

Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances between oil changes, but do not exceed
the one year maximum oil change interval

Which seems to imply that a Hybrid can exceed distances longer that what the Oil-Life Monitor looks for thus no message will appear. So if you have a Hybrid be sure to change oil by at least one year from the last one.
I understand the laungauge in the manual isn’t straight forward but it will come on after 1 year for both EcoBoost and HyBrid.

1:15 into the video he mentions it (right at the end).
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...t-is-the-intelligent-oil-life-monitor-system/

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used to change a new vehicle at 500 miles, but with synthetic oils that are so slick the manufacturers put special additives in the oil to aid in break in. (At least Subaru does, don’t know about others). Overall I plan on changing every 5000 miles, so for break in I plan on 2500 miles. I would hesitate to change at the very low mileage that some folks are advocating, synthetic oil is a different ballgame.

Sponsored

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the manual doesn't say I need to change it sooner than when the light comes on, then I'll follow that. Just as changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste of money in the 21st century automotive world, I see no reason to change the oil just to change if the manual doesn't say it needs it any sooner than what the computer says. If it needed it before the computer indicates the first oil change should occur, then the manual would say that.

OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used to change a new vehicle at 500 miles, but with synthetic oils that are so slick the manufacturers put special additives in the oil to aid in break in. (At least Subaru does, don’t know about others). Overall I plan on changing every 5000 miles, so for break in I plan on 2500 miles. I would hesitate to change at the very low mileage that some folks are advocating, synthetic oil is a different ballgame.
When you say you would hesitate to change the oil at low miles do you see a potential issue with new oil? I particularly like the opportunity to break in a car exactly how I want to. I’ve been stuck with oil burning sludged up engines in the past.

Sponsored

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When you say you would hesitate to change the oil at low miles do you see a potential issue with new oil? I particularly like the opportunity to break in a car exactly how I want to. I’ve been stuck with oil burning sludged up engines in the past.
What brand of oil were you using ?

OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What brand of oil were you using ?
I have only bought used cars and most of them have burned oil out the gate. My Prius burns 2 quarts per 1,000 miles but this is a bad design more than poor oil choices. Look up worst Prius year and you will see 2011 was known for oil burn.

I prefer Amsoil, my runner up choices would be Mobil 1 and Motorcraft (since this is what Ford uses). Any full synthetic should suffice though, so long as it isn’t no name and/or not certified.

66six

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius / 22 Ford Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are are everyone’s plans for breaking in the Maverick? I plan to change the oil right after the first 1k miles and not drive at speeds in excess of 70MPH until that point. I also plan to change the trans fluid after 10k

The manual does not say it needs an oil change after 1k miles but won’t hurt as long as the oil fluid is properly recycled.

per the manual “BREAKING-IN” page 273 “avoid driving at high speeds”. I believe this to be 60MPH but I can’t drive that slow on the interstate, what does everyone think?
88554E69-E372-41DB-9238-0CF83A14E6B0.jpeg

91395D05-1996-4A83-B7DF-6799416C8B7D.png
Pedal To The Metal ...

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll have an 1100 mile drive home from the dealership so I'll probably just do my first oil change shortly after I get it home. This may not be a factor in newer engines but I've always heard to change the oil after the first few thousand miles on a new engine to make sure there's no metal shavings left from the machining processes. It definitely won't hurt anything. As far as how easy it is to change the oil since some other folks seemed concerned, unless they have drastically re-designed the 2.0 Ecoboost it's easy as hell for those engines.
Sponsored