Sponsored

Please explain why we're not supposed to tow or stress the engine during the "break in" period?

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean scientifically, why we're not supposed to tow or stress the engine during the "break in" period? Is the metal going to get stronger?

Is the computer still figuring things out? What's the deal?
Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remember Tom and Ray always advised a careful break-in period. Here's one search I came up of theirs: https://buffalonews.com/news/how-ma...cle_657a0475-6ad0-5a4d-a1d0-228a82ecc423.html

I remember they once talked about it on a Car Talk episode on NPR. They said something about the engine is not fully lubricated with oil saturated all throughout its system. Over time there is build up and it settles in some vital areas. Superior lubricating occurs. During the early miles it just is not as well protected. That's what they claimed anyway. And during this critical time, if driven hard, could have long term effects on the engine.

Take that for what it's worth. I grew up listening to Tom and Ray. So I have always babied the break in period, to some extent.

CatsupGladiator

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Caravan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't chalk it up to the computer learning much, more giving mechanical parts time to wear in. Machining things to tolerance can make very tight assemblies. Putting a large load on say a tight gearing in the transmission could cause abnormal wear, or worse I.E. a broken tooth on a gear because the teeth have more contact than intended as some of the material is expected to erode during break in.

That is my POV, but I doubt there is a ton of risk as many people drive their vehicles like they intend to use them from day one, just may be an out for any mfg to knock down a potential warranty claim, if they can prove the vehicle was being "abused"

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I remember Tom and Ray always advised a careful break-in period. Here's one search I came up of theirs: https://buffalonews.com/news/how-ma...cle_657a0475-6ad0-5a4d-a1d0-228a82ecc423.html

I remember they once talked about it on a Car Talk episode on NPR. They said something about the engine is not fully lubricated with oil saturated all throughout its system. Over time there is build up and it settles in some vital areas. Superior lubricating occurs. During the early miles it just is not as well protected. That's what they claimed anyway. And during this critical time, if driven hard, could have long term effects on the engine.

Take that for what it's worth. I grew up listening to Tom and Ray. So I have always babied the break in period, to some extent.
Thank you. This sounds absolutely plausible.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean scientifically, why we're not supposed to tow or stress the engine during the "break in" period? Is the metal going to get stronger?

Is the computer still figuring things out? What's the deal?
Most likely cause everything needs to seat properly does not need the extra stress and strain of trying to tow anything heavy till you get the required mileage on it for the break in period

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean scientifically, why we're not supposed to tow or stress the engine during the "break in" period?
The little hamsters that spin the wheels are tight and out of shape after sitting in the desert for so long. They need time to loosen up, tone up, and build some muscle mass before they do any heavy lifting.

At least, that's how it was explained to me...

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This video explains things a bit at about 3:50 through the end . Once everything is seated properly there is little reason to continue babying it. Nevertheless I would baby my Maverick for the first 1,000 miles simply because I can. I don’t typically buy new and I want to see what happens over the next decade.

Last edited:

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally, I've bought and have ridden 5 new Harleys over the last 15 years and I've only followed the initial break-in period for the first 500 miles as Harley recommend, keep rpms below 3k, no cruise control. Once that first 500 was met and oil changed, then I rode them like I stole them!! I've never had an issue with my motors in all those years. I plan to do the same with my 🦄! Naturally, this will only happen ONCE FORD BUILDS IT!! 🤣🤣🤣

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your question had the answer, don’t put any stress during the break in. Engines components for lack of a better word need to be settled/seated into place and until then additional strain may actually cause damage.

Last edited:

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
Break in is not as critical as it used to be. The big thing was getting the rings seated properly.
It does test your patience.
I just bought a new outboard motor with a 10 hour break in. It starts out very conservative but then it possibly has not been run at all. A new car has been driven several times before you get it.

Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
All moving parts connected to another moving part (bearings, gears, rings) will put wear on one another. The idea is during the break in period is to not cause sudden wear before these items get a chance to slowly wear to (seat them self).

Lets use a drill bit for example.. You start to drill at full speed it could walk not letting you to put the hole where you wanted.. Now if you go slow it will stay where you wanted so no walking.. That is a ruff example but kinda the same thing.. You want to take it easy so you dont wipe out them seating themselves.

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

By sticking to a break-in period, we allow the mechanical components that will take a bit of initial break-in wear to do so at a more broad standard. If we use cruise control while pulling a trailer that is overloaded for the first bit of all of this, we get wear patterns that favor those conditions, but not others, like city driving with a lot of stop and go taking place. We create a more universal wear pattern and avoid creating excessive wear in any single area .

Just my thoughts.
Sponsored