Sponsored

What are you hybrid/ 2wd guys planning on running for snow tires?

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just the base Continentals, if it should snow or ice here in north Texas, I just stay home. 😁
Sponsored

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know all about snow.
It snowed here once in south Texas.
Christmas Eve 2004 :ROFLMAO:
It shut the whole town down!!! (for a couple of hours)
In Bama we shut down on the mere RUMOR of snow. Schools, businesses, everything. Driving in it? Nope, just nope. None of us know how.

MagnusBjorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I run Michelin Xice Xi3's on my other vehicles here in NH and I'll do the same for my maverick.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're getting a second set of rims Michelin X-Ice or Nokian Hakkas. You can get studded Hakkas if you're really worried but tbh even for Maine I think a bit overkill. But if you don't have to go out in the worst conditions and save some cash the Cross Climate 2 is a really good choice. They just don't have quite the same snow and especially ice performance as dedicated winter tires. But they give about 70% of the benefit. Here in south/central WI they are perfect for me since we don't get all that much bad weather and they perform better in the cold/dry and especially wet than winter tires. For Maine I'd probably go for a seperate winter set but it depends more on your driving needs.

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In Bama we shut down on the mere RUMOR of snow. Schools, businesses, everything. Driving in it? Nope, just nope. None of us know how.
TBF... rural areas with yearly heavy winters are the same. Well, business as usual but the drivers...

• The best way to remove any snow/ice is to drive with as much of it as possible on the vehicle.
  • They don't bother clearing windshields/windows either.
  • Speed limits are to be retained - it does not matter what the weather is like. GO FASTER!
  • Mudflaps? Never heard of 'em. It's not like our roads are rock chipped either...
  • Headlights, taillights and indicators? Not even in good weather.
Seriously... it's awful and on average I'd say 1 out 5 vehicles doing 2 or more of these things.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

TBF... rural areas with yearly heavy winters are the same. Well, business as usual but the drivers...

• The best way to remove any snow/ice is to drive with as much of it as possible on the vehicle.
  • They don't bother clearing windshields/windows either.
  • Speed limits are to be retained - it does not matter what the weather is like. GO FASTER!
  • Mudflaps? Never heard of 'em. It's not like our roads are rock chipped either...
  • Headlights, taillights and indicators? Not even in good weather.
Seriously... it's awful and on average I'd say 1 out 5 vehicles doing 2 or more of these things.
People here drive better in the snow than in the rain, snow being so rare they still respect it. No one even slows or alters their driving in the least for rain, and the roads become clogged with wrecks. Crazy.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got my XL hybrid in late February, I just didn't want to pay for snows so late in the winter, it did fine, but snow tires are a huge help with Maine winters lol. My wife has dunlops for winter for her Honda fit, (IDR the model name) the difference between them and the usual arctic claws we'd always run are night and day, I'm thinking about the same for my Mav. I've also heard great things about Michelin xice, but I've never run them myself. I do go studless, but there's always 5-6 times per winter I end up wishing for studs lol. I know late summers a weird time to be talking snow tires, but hey, maybe the topic will help those of us getting snows this winter?
I mounted a complete set of Michellin CrossClimate 2 on steelies last winter so I'd have a set of winter tires/wheels. I never had a slip. When it comes time to replace the Michellins that came with the truck, I'll buy the CrossClimate 2 again because I think they are quieter.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Too much snow? No such thing. I kept my AWD 2017 Toyota RAV4.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Michelin CrossClimate2 in summer, Bridgestone Blizzaks in winter. Been using Blizzaks for years on every vehicle. Live in Minnesota.

EchoPear

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 XLT Hyb/HPR/Lux/360/Bed Rail/Moonroof on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Planning on just a set of Firestone destination A/Ts year round once the oem tires wear out, unless I’m sliding around the first winter in the stock tires then I’ll switch sooner. Northern Indiana so winter is kind of hit or miss. Maybe a couple bad days each season so not bad

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

1 data point is sufficient for my needs: 2022 Christmas Eve run from Chicago to Jackson Michigan through lake effect snow on I 94 on the south end of the lake. Near white out condition from Michigan City to Benton Harbor with only 2 tire tracks to guide and with the tranny set to Snow (or whatever that setting is called).

5-15 mph, tracked w/o issues, took 7 hours, normally 3.5+. Stock Lariat Lux tires + transmission proved up to the task. Made Christmas Eve dinner with an hour to spare. Ugh.

No worries or concerns from that point forward. Plus…and this is a big ‘plus’…I proved to the Mrs. that this Maverick with FWD is =/better than the AWD Escape she just had to have for “safety in snow conditions “. This particular “I told you so” is a small victory that I’m still paying for!

Plus, for clarification, the Hybrid is FWD. 2-wheel drive is reserved for those vehicles with power to the 2 rear wheels. Completely different animal, especially in snow.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Got my XL hybrid in late February, I just didn't want to pay for snows so late in the winter, it did fine, but snow tires are a huge help with Maine winters lol. My wife has dunlops for winter for her Honda fit, (IDR the model name) the difference between them and the usual arctic claws we'd always run are night and day, I'm thinking about the same for my Mav. I've also heard great things about Michelin xice, but I've never run them myself. I do go studless, but there's always 5-6 times per winter I end up wishing for studs lol. I know late summers a weird time to be talking snow tires, but hey, maybe the topic will help those of us getting snows this winter?
I'm going to go to Discount Tire in the fall and see what's on sale. I've always had a good experience at Discount Tire.

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have run many types of snow tires over the years, and I will likely run some form of Blizzak or Nokian on our upcoming hybrid XLT. We can’t run studs where I live. I liked the first gen Firestone Winterforce for the bang-for-the-buck, but I don’t think the redesigned current version is as good.
Sponsored