Sponsored

All season tires or snow tires for front wheel drive hybrid?

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in Wa state where we may get few inches of snow to none from year to year. Not sure if I should get snow tires for my hybrid or all season? I drive a Subaru Outback so I’m use to all wheel drive
Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in Wa state where we may get few inches of snow to none from year to year. Not sure if I should get snow tires for my hybrid or all season? I drive a Subaru Outback so I’m use to all wheel drive
Depends. If you have to go out no matter what, get snows. If you have flexibility to work from home for a couple days, don't bother.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Following. Would love to hear opinions on this. Ordered XLT hybrid FWD and will stay with the standard all season, but do enjoy some skiiing outings and we do get some snow. Might see how winter #1 goes with the all seasons, but considering going to Falken Wildpeaks with the 3PMSF rating rather than full-on snow tires (which I'd have to swap out yearly).

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
Seattle? You should be good with the stock tires. Once every few years you possibly could justify winter tires but you don't know till the big storm rolls through.
One thing most don't know is that winter tires have less traction on wet roads than all seasons. Pretty sure you'll get a bit of rain...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, Seattle , so like everyone here I have a Subaru ! Which is good in the rain and sometimes snow we get,

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve driven lots of rear wheel drive trucks for work and when it snowed put weight in back, wondering if will need to put weight in the back of maverick?

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All Seasons will be fine. I live in CO and went for years on All Season tires and FWD. Now, that’s not to say it conquered everything and made driving in icy or deep snow a nail biter and made me question my life choices. In Seattle they’d shut the city down for 2” of snow. You’re fine.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All Seasons will be fine. I live in CO and went for years on All Season tires and FWD. Now, that’s not to say it conquered everything and made driving in icy or deep snow a nail biter and made me question my life choices. In Seattle they’d shut the city down for 2” of snow. You’re fine.
Ha , yes your totally right about shutting the city down! No one knows how to drive in the snow!

Tyler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2023 Mavrick (Hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep definitely not enough snow around seattle to justify snow tires. Just wait tell 9:00 am when the rain has washed it all away if you’re not comfortable 😂.

I will be parking the maverick and driving one of our two Subarus the 2 days a year we have some snow on the ground though.

Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
You will be fine with all season. No need to do the extra work for snow tires. I lived over by there (Silverton) for a few years and only had a good snow once. It was about six inches.
At that time I had a 66 Pontiac Ventura 4Dr (big boat) with open diff, rear wheel drive, all seasons, pretty much worst car you could have in the snow (except had the weight going)
The area had some good hills and one of them had a light right in the middle of the hill.. Well I had to hit it at speed to get up it and kept caughting the light, took me four or five runs at it to get home. This is the only time I wished for snow tires but I still got where I need to be..

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve driven lots of rear wheel drive trucks for work and when it snowed put weight in back, wondering if will need to put weight in the back of maverick?
Someone here on the forum said if you want added weight to put some in the bed, but not by the tailgate but up by the window for FWD.

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Putting weight in the back of a 2wd pickup puts weight on the drive wheels resulting in more traction. Adding weight to the rear of a FWD vehicle is just the opposite.
The Maverick, being FWD or AWD, will not have a traction benefit from adding weight in the back. There could be a handling benefit but that is beyond the scope of this post.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Who do we blame for America's reliance on offshore parts and suppliers?
Michelin CrossContact 2
I think you meant michelin cross climate. Cross contacts are continentals. IMO continental makes really great all season tires. I use pro contacts now and they have been fantastic.

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree on Contis. Recently put True Contact Tour tires on the Outback and they are amazing in standing water. You expect the vehicle-steering wheel to pull to the side and it barely happens.
Sponsored