Tires for snow

ledn174

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
I ordered a Fx4 package Maverick. I don't really plan on going off roading, but want tires that are great for the snow. I live in a very snowy area, but I also want tires for the other seasons as well. Are KO's to beefy or should I go something else? What are your suggestions?
Sponsored

kpomeraning

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav on order, '17 Focus, '16 Focus, '09 Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My suggestion is to do the same I've done with my cars -- get a set of steelies or cheap aluminum rims and mount real snow tires on them, then keep your FX4 rims and tires for late spring, summer and fall usage. True snow tires have softer rubber compounds and increased grip, but that comes at the price of higher wear and lower temperature ratings.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Blizzaks or Hakka R2SUV are best non studded.

Last edited:

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My suggestion is to do the same I've done with my cars -- get a set of steelies or cheap aluminum rims and mount real snow tires on them, then keep your FX4 rims and tires for late spring, summer and fall usage. True snow tires have softer rubber compounds and increased grip, but that comes at the price of higher wear and lower temperature ratings.
This. The difference is pretty shocking the first time you drive with actual snow/winter tires. All-weather tires are an option too, but our experience with Nokian wr G4 is that they were not quite as good in the snow as dedicated snow tires and about equal to budget all-seasons in normal weather; we prefer separate sets.

Last edited:

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a Fx4 package Maverick. I don't really plan on going off roading, but want tires that are great for the snow. I live in a very snowy area, but I also want tires for the other seasons as well. Are KO's to beefy or should I go something else? What are your suggestions?
Hercules tire Terra Trac AT X-Journey. A great all weather/all season/all terrain tire. Hercules are made in Ohio by Cooper.

I have them on my RAV4 hybrid AWD and they are excellent in the snow, dry, wet, gravel/dirt. I have been very impressed with them.

herculestire.com

Sponsored

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree! You’ll also get some of your investment back in the way of longer life for your 3 season tires and rims, and depending on where you live, a small insurance break as well.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree! You’ll also get some of your investment back in the way of longer life for your 3 season tires and rims, and depending on where you live, a small insurance break as well.
This.

I am on my original set of all-season's on my 2015 F150 w/81K miles, because I run dedicated snows on it in the winter. My snow's lasted 6 seasons and I had bought them slightly used (take-off's on a F150 imported from Canada).

Yes, it costs $ for the initial investment (set of wheels - steel is fine for the winter) plus 4 snows. Yes, it takes space to store them. Cost to mount/dismount is usually minimal because there is no rebalance required.

But where I live, benefits are worth it. I never worry about having non-optimal tires for the winter (or summer).

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This.

I am on my original set of all-season's on my 2015 F150 w/81K miles, because I run dedicated snows on it in the winter. My snow's lasted 6 seasons and I had bought them slightly used (take-off's on a F150 imported from Canada).

Yes, it costs $ for the initial investment (set of wheels - steel is fine for the winter) plus 4 snows. Yes, it takes space to store them. Cost to mount/dismount is usually minimal because there is no rebalance required.

But where I live, benefits are worth it. I never worry about having non-optimal tires for the winter (or summer).
Ya exactly good example. Its funny. Everyone talks about copilot 360 as a manditory safety add on for people… in our climate… snow tires are far more likely to save you than a blind spot detection system thats covered in ice half the year anyways haha each situation is different though
Sponsored