Sponsored

All season tires or snow tires for front wheel drive hybrid?

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you meant michelin cross climate. Cross contacts are continentals. IMO continental makes really great all season tires. I use pro contacts now and they have been fantastic.
Yeah, CrossClimate is what I meant. Too much time researching tires at my age and it happens.
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan on putting a 3 peak rated tire on mine. Living in MD we do get snow occasionally, but its typically just a couple inches or it ends up being some massive 2 feet of snow. In the 2 feet situation I'm not going out anyways. 3 peak should handle a couple inches on a FWD no problem.

I'm currently looking at the Kumho Crugen HT51 as a front runner. 70k miles, 3 peak, good reviews and reasonably priced.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=365TR7HT51&tab=Sizes

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, CrossClimate is what I meant. Too much time researching tires at my age and it happens.
Portland Subaru owner here, who really hates the idea of losing AWD wet/snow performance. I was looking into the same tires for a possible hybrid purchase. Decided against them after reading reviews on Tirerack from others who put them on various hybrid vehicles. They suffered a massive drop in fuel economy, as much as 10 mpg. Not worth it IMO. You may as well go AWD Ecoboost if you are willing to take that big of a mpg hit.

Spiffster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I usually buy a cheap set of OEM wheels on eBay and throw snows on those so I can swap out for the season myself. Only issue is with TPMS sensors that I cannot calibrate myself so I put up with the pressure sensor light for half the year, or drop by Discount Tire real quick and they calibrate for free.
Nokian Hakkapeliittas = no problems in the shitiest of snowy weather. OTOH other drivers... cant fix.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All Season vs. All Weather vs. Snow Tires. There is more to traction than just acceleration...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for all the reply’s. This site has been a wealth of info for me! This will probably be my last new car I buy so want to keep her tip top!

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Decided against them after reading reviews on Tirerack from others who put them on various hybrid vehicles. They suffered a massive drop in fuel economy
CrossClimate+ had high RR. CrossClimate2 us better.
All Season vs. All Weather vs. Snow Tires. ...
I like this video, because it includes my OEM tire, and shows the wide range of "all season" performance, with all the expected benefits of "all weather" and true snow tires.

This Escape is my first AWD, and it's the first car that didn't get snow tires since the '80's. The OEM Ecopias were excellent in the snow, and the video shows it wasn't a fluke. Needless to way, it' also points the way to the long term solution. CrossClimate2 are waiting for the weather to turn.

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
I was raised way up North in Prince George BC Canada but I live in Vancouver BC just north of Seattle. I like to have 3 Peak rated tires in winter for getting out of town, our highways require them. When it snows in the North West there are too many unprepared cars for me to want to leave the house. A 15 min drive becomes an hr or more. But snow tires will just get thrashed in two seasons due to lack of snow. I would try to get some wear out of the stockers and then buy some good 3 peak rated AT's.

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am seriously thinking about the Michelin CrossContact 2 for my hybrid, when it arrives.

I run these tires on my Ford C-Max PHEV

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan on putting a 3 peak rated tire on mine. Living in MD we do get snow occasionally, but its typically just a couple inches or it ends up being some massive 2 feet of snow. In the 2 feet situation I'm not going out anyways. 3 peak should handle a couple inches on a FWD no problem.

I'm currently looking at the Kumho Crugen HT51 as a front runner. 70k miles, 3 peak, good reviews and reasonably priced.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=365TR7HT51&tab=Sizes
I run these on my FWD 2006 Mariner, had them in 6-10" of snow, they performed amazing

Sponsored

pawalsh610

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick 1st Edition Lariat, Mazda 2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not like the performance I got from the stock 18" Michelins that came with my Hybrid Lariat. Pulled the trigger on Blizzaks this weekend and I was very pleased with the difference when I drove in this AM on 2 inches of new snow.

Mike215

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve driven lots of rear wheel drive trucks for work and when it snowed put weight in back, wondering if will need to put weight in the back of maverick?
Its FWD so no need to put weight in the back. The engine up front will take care of it.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its FWD so no need to put weight in the back. The engine up front will take care of it.
Even FWD vehicles can sometimes benefit from extra weight in the back as well to help maintain rear traction. Yes, the drive wheels are in the front but traction isn't just about the 'going forwards' bit. When stopping and turning you still want the rear tires to have grip on the road surface lest the back end decide to overtake the front.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At some point I will get some 3peak tires. Probably go with the Firestone Destination A/T2 in 235/65/R17. They are only 3lbs heavier than the stock hybrid tires!

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ha , yes your totally right about shutting the city down! No one knows how to drive in the snow!
Same with Atlanta when I was there
Sponsored