First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick XLT hybrid should arrive any day now. I’ll put four Toyo snow tires on for safe driving in NW Wisconsin. Anyone have suggestions for buying an extra set of wheels for these?
Sponsored

AzureBlueBill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat / 1969 Dodge Dart GTS
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tire Rack shows 368 18" wheels for the Maverick, and 37 of those are between $150-$200 each.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just find a set of take off wheels from a Maverick or a Bronco Sport. The steel wheels from the Maverick XL can be found especially cheap. I suggest OfferUp, craigslist, Facebook marketplace

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can also keep your eyes open on marketplace for used rims/tires in your area.
You'd be surprised as to how many great deals come and go.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bought these 18" Bronco Sport take offs with like new Toyo snows for $750 here.

Ford Maverick Wheel set for snow tires 23mav78

Sponsored

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just get a set of the right steel wheels. Do not get aluminum rims for use in salt solution, as they will corrode quickly.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you search around the Pacer 83B 5x108 17x7 steel wheels are about $105/ea shipped + tax.

LKQ (collision parts supplier) lists the XL replacement steel wheels for $91, but I don't know how truly available they are.

siberdraknon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid Cyber Orange
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I bought a set of XL steelies from a member here. None were listed locally so I just posted a WTB. A member nearby messaged me and we made a deal. Quick, easy, cheap.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a set of XL steelies from a member here. None were listed locally so I just posted a WTB. A member nearby messaged me and we made a deal. Quick, easy, cheap.
Same here, but that was over the summer and I'm in Wash D.C. So it was easier to find a MTC seller in this populated area. $500 for steelies with tpms, newish tires and lug nuts. I even gave my sister the tires for her CR-V.

OP doesn't have that same luxury being in the great white boonies in winter. If I were the OP, I'd use the XLT rims this winter and fix it all up in the summer. Wait for that MTC steel wheel deal to come along.

Last edited:

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick XLT hybrid should arrive any day now. I’ll put four Toyo snow tires on for safe driving in NW Wisconsin. Anyone have suggestions for buying an extra set of wheels for these?
I would say this depends on various factors, starting with budget. From there, what are you trying to accomplish with looks/styling? Are you ok with used wheels? If you use Craigslist or Marketplace, you may find something (somewhat) locally. Your town isn’t huge, but if you don’t mind a drive, I would expect to find something around the Cities. Not much to be found up north by the Twin Ports. Otherwise, you can order online via sites like Discount Tire or Tire Rack that have vehicle configurators, and have something shipped. If you are comfortable with looking up and comparing wheel specs, you could buy elsewhere too and piece together your own solution. I bought alloys off eBay based on specs, price, and looks. I also added TPMS sensors separately, though my new ones are not working(!)). You will likely need new lug nuts too, particularly if going aftermarket.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just get a set of the right steel wheels. Do not get aluminum rims for use in salt solution, as they will corrode quickly.
Steel wheels will corrode quicker than Aluminum.

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out the postings on THIS FORUM. A lot of owners have replaced their steel wheels. You can probably find a set with minimal mileage on them. Good luck.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Steel wheels will corrode quicker than Aluminum.
Not true. They corrode only trivially, and are very easy to clean up again with a wire brush and a paint can. Aluminum on the other hand, is virtually always a writeoff. The cause is that the clorine in the salt liquid on the road eats aluminum way faster than iron. Try somehow cleaning up aluminum rims and you'll be throwing them away.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not true. They corrode only trivially, and are very easy to clean up again with a wire brush and a paint can. Aluminum on the other hand, is virtually always a writeoff. The cause is that the clorine in the salt liquid on the road eats aluminum way faster than iron. Try somehow cleaning up aluminum rims and you'll be throwing them away.
I've seen many steel wheels with rusted beads that would not hold air. Grinding and painting the beads to try to save a scarce wheel usually doesn't work either.

BTW, I just sold a 25 year old E150 van with 2 sets of aluminum wheels. Both sets were still fine. One set original to the 99, the other set I mounted snows on were off a 2000 E150.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen many steel wheels with rusted beads that would not hold air. Grinding and painting the beads to try to save a scarce wheel usually doesn't work either.
Yup, the liquid tends to collect in the bead area, causing corrosion. That's why tire installers put a swab of liquid rubber goop on the bead to fill in any small leaks.
Sponsored