2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 XLT EB AWD Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Isn't that button next to the auto start stop for down hills?
If you have the Fx4 you have a button next to the auto start stop disable button for hill descent ( not sure if it's on all of the mavericks ) I'm in a lariat lux Fx4 EB AWD
Suggest watching the video Cyberwiz linked in post #38. Hill descent is more like "trail cruise" and is limited to 20mph.
Sponsored

tciotti2003

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I drive my mountain roads quite a bit so when I bought this little beast, I also tried "L" going downhill and bailed quickly. I then set to tow/haul and, for my ecoboost, I noticed I tapped the brake once and it kept me at the speed I was going when I tapped. I then tapped the brake again and it slowed me down a little then kept me at that speed. I was pretty impressed. One down hill grade is alittle over 3 miles so it's easy to experiment.

OP
OP

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I drive my mountain roads quite a bit so when I bought this little beast, I also tried "L" going downhill and bailed quickly. I then set to tow/haul and, for my ecoboost, I noticed I tapped the brake once and it kept me at the speed I was going when I tapped. I then tapped the brake again and it slowed me down a little then kept me at that speed. I was pretty impressed. One down hill grade is a little over 3 miles so it's easy to experiment.
Thanks! Good to know.

HRG

ZABSMAV

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So besides the noise, it had a negligible effect on your speed?

I am curious how the 8-speed handles grades like that when a cruise control speed is set. My last car was the first one I ever owned with any kind of "grade logic" where it would downshift by itself to try and hold a speed. Worked pretty well, but as an NA V6, it probably had a lot more compression braking ability than a turbo I4 theoretically designed for 87 octane...
That is what I love about our 2023 Hybrid Lariat. Set the cruise for the desired downhill speed and the regeneration charges the battery and the speed is precisely maintained throughout the descent.

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Different types of ICE (The 2.5L Atkinson cycle engine has lower compression ratio than the 2.0L) and transmissions (eCVT has 2 electric motor generators). The Hybrid maximizes regenerative braking in "L" before starting the engine to utilize compression braking. I have tried it a couple of times on my drive home from work but the "L" mode is a little too aggressive for the slop of the hill so I have to turn it off after about 10 seconds to keep my speed at the posted limit.
I am not talking about hybrid v EB behavior, I am well aware of those reasons. I am talking about EBs with ACC being able to maintain speeds while going down a hill versus EBs without ACC being unable to do so. There shouldn't be a behavior difference between the regular CC system and the ACC system.

There isn't a difference, or at least shouldn't be. The "regular" cruise I have maintains downhill speeds by downshifting, though very steep slopes will require user intervention!
Yes, as expected. I am talking about outside of those scenarios and on hills that other vehicles I own don't have an issue with. His two major complaints are the auto-start/stop and cruise control down a hill. He wishes auto-start/stop would just stay off once he turns it off and that it would keep its speed going down a hill.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
'24 Lariat EB AWD, found myself on a winding downhill stretch of road in PA this week, signed at 9% grade. Figured this was as good a time as any to try the L-button and see if there was any compression braking available, damn did the rpm's shoot up to 5k+! It certainly doesn't drop just 1 or 2 gears,,,,,,

HRG
lol, the "L" is for low speed, very low speed, like off-roading low speed, maybe 10-15 mph max. Your just in the wrong place to use it that's why it shoots to 5k rpm. It's made for going over bumps at high torque in low speeds.

OP
OP

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
lol, the "L" is for low speed, very low speed, like off-roading low speed, maybe 10-15 mph max. Your just in the wrong place to use it that's why it shoots to 5k rpm. It's made for going over bumps at high torque in low speeds.
You saw this in the Ford video, right?

HRG

Ford Maverick Well, that "L" button is pretty useless,,, Low mod

DTF-Garage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Focus ZX3 (RWD Swap), 2011 Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah that’s pretty much how low gear mode works on any car. Haven’t driven to the mountains (NC) in the Maverick yet, but I-40 has a stretch steep enough to have runout slips for the tractor trailers.

We’ve done it in our Highlander and previous CRV, both would rev up to several thousand RPM when using lower gears for engine braking.
Yeah exactly, every car I've ever driven with a "Low" mode has behaved the exact same way lol

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
cruise in the hybrid keeps speed down on the downhills. I wonder if it works on the EB.

bluesteel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, as expected. I am talking about outside of those scenarios and on hills that other vehicles I own don't have an issue with. His two major complaints are the auto-start/stop and cruise control down a hill. He wishes auto-start/stop would just stay off once he turns it off and that it would keep its speed going down a hill.
So to summarize, if for nothing else than my own sake, it's a combination of the trans' reluctance to shift below 3rd or 4th (I can't tell for sure) gear and the insufficient compression/engine braking of those gears to hold the speed.

Sponsored

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You saw this in the Ford video, right?

HRG

Low mode.jpeg
lol, no, a sales guy explained to me on an F-150. I assumed it was the same since I got their off-road package that doesn't come with a front camera, I guess not.

Old Fart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT; 2016 Prius ECO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I rode the eco setting all the way down from Shenandoah national park last summer
Ford Maverick Well, that "L" button is pretty useless,,, IMG20230611151721

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This video shows engine braking with low gear. If the descent is too steep, the RPMs will be too high. Take it out of low gear and manually brake until the descent is not so bad.

yamahaSHO

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Jeep CRD, 04 S2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This video shows engine braking with low gear. If the descent is too steep, the RPMs will be too high. Take it out of low gear and manually brake until the descent is not so bad.

Just brake... That's all you need to do. Brake and the RPM's will come down.

bluesteel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's "too high"? I've never seen it get anywhere near redline on any descent. I don't understand all the concern about this.
Sponsored