First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone else seeing the "L" button in the center of the FX4 shift knob. Is that for a Low Range that we didn't think the truck was supposed to get.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a L range selection. It is documented in the Manual that’s been circulating.

OP
OP
Zepper

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a L range selection. It is documented in the Manual that’s been circulating.
Awesome. i missed that. (too busy to download the file). You seem like a sharp guy. Can you give us the crib notes.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome. i missed that. (too busy to download the file). You seem like a sharp guy. Can you give us the crib notes.
I don’t know about cribbing it, but I can say I saw a lot I liked in there.

I believe this truck is going to be a really sweet ride.

Top Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
LOW (L)
This mode is for driving on steep slopes. The transmission will hold low gear for maximum torque driving uphill and maximum engine braking driving downhill. You can enter this mode at any vehicle speed.

My Comment: This is not a 2 speed transfer case. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zepper

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOW (L)
This mode is for driving on steep slopes. The transmission will hold low gear for maximum torque driving uphill and maximum engine braking driving downhill. You can enter this mode at any vehicle speed.

My Comment: This is not a 2 speed transfer case. Hope this helps.
Thanks

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How does this differ from the "hill descent mode" or is that what it is?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How does this differ from the "hill descent mode" or is that what it is?
Its unrelated to hill decent. It is a simple low range transmission setting that keeps the tranny from shifting into higher gears.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Its unrelated to hill decent. It is a simple low range transmission setting that keeps the tranny from shifting into higher gears.
Thanks! I throw my current car into 2nd (its one of those automatics that can also be shifted like a manual) whenever I go through a school zone and there is no doubt it has saved me from speeding.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
So is it just stuck in the normal first gear or is it using a new combination of planetaries to come up with a lower ratio?
I suspect my Renegade does something like this when I select 4low as I doubt it has anything all that special built into it other than programming.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So is it just stuck in the normal first gear or is it using a new combination of planetaries to come up with a lower ratio?
I suspect my Renegade does something like this when I select 4low as I doubt it has anything all that special built into it other than programming.
You can be sure it is all software control.

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foxbody, Honda Blackbird
Just regular ol 1st gear. A lot of vehicles have a similar option in addition to "D" (drive). Some have just one extra drive setting such as this, which I usually see as "low" mode, whereas others have an extra 1, 2, or 3 to select specific gears. Low mode will just make it hang out in the lowest gear it can safely be in. Sport mode in my Fusion Sport did something similar, although I assume it's programmed slightly differently in the FX4.

Edit: after further deliberation, I thought of one other software function that would have a more noticeable difference. Since the torque converter is a torque multiplier, "L" mode could, in theory, tell the torque converter to operate at a looser setting than it may otherwise operate normally, which would give it a pseudo granny gear. I don't know if this is really an option, but it would be a neat feature.
Sponsored

Last edited: