Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sometimes the lag in acceleration is quite noticeable, sometimes it's non existent. The bad lags are usually after driving at low speeds for a while. I guess there is a lag on the turbo. Looking for education on what to expect.
2023 XL EB. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably a tune would be the most beneficial but that could void warranty. I run 93 octane in mine and don't really notice a lag. But different driving styles could come in play or maybe my AWD setup, I have no idea really. Strange it's not consistent. Hopefully others can chime in.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Single turbos have lags. Superchargers don't. Many engines have smaller twin turbos to reduce lag time. If you are talking a couple of seconds lag then there might be a computer issue.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Could be the transmission, on its hunting.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's likely you are noticing the delay in downshifting. When tooling along part-throttle, then attempt to accelerate, pending the TB input, will trigger the downshift.

While there is technically some turbo lag, it is a different phenomenon than what you are most likely feeling, based on your description of the event.

If you want to feel the (minimal) turbo lag, just go WOT from a stop. That little "pause" right as you take off, before feeling strong acceleration, it about 80% turbo spool time & 20% TC stall.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably a tune would be the most beneficial but that could void warranty. I run 93 octane in mine and don't really notice a lag. But different driving styles could come in play or maybe my AWD setup, I have no idea really. Strange it's not consistent. Hopefully others can chime in.
The only time I have heard the turbo is when towing my 3100 lb boat.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Have you tried sport mode?
this is the best answer. OP should try this first.

at low speeds, in all drive modes except sport, the truck will shift early with light throttle input and stay in a very high gear. then you want to accelerate, if you don't put the pedal all the way down, a downshift can be delayed. it will lug because of the low rpm, not really due to turbo lag.

this doesn't happen near as much in sport mode because the truck keeps it in 1-2 gears lower than it would be in normal drive mode, so there is not much chance of it lugging and it'll downshift aggressively as you start to accelerate.

if sport mode does help, you can still drive in normal mode most of the time and just accept what you get. OR you could get a tune that adjusts the transmission behavior, such as a Cobb Tuning accessport.

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only time I have heard the turbo is when towing my 3100 lb boat.
Won't argue that normal day to day driving, but in the appropriate safe time/place do some spirited fun factor driving and you'll hear it. Sport mode will add to the effect.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Won't argue that normal day to day driving, but in the appropriate safe time/place do some spirited fun factor driving and you'll hear it. Sport mode will add to the effect.
I tried finding it the other day and couldn't! It must be buried lol. First vehicle I've owned with a turbo.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Do you mean trying to find the right gear out of the 8 available choices.
Yep we have a lot of hills and dips and what have yas on our roads out here. Sometimes you are say accelerating up hill or just maintaining speed and then the road dips for a car length. The load is lessened so it shifts but then you are right back on the hill a second later so it is out of its powerband and it bogs down where the turbo cant provide much boost. Then it shifts again. Up and down up and down. I do wish we had a manual mode that I could hold gears with. The computer may be smart but I know the road ahead better than it does.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I tried finding it the other day and couldn't! It must be buried lol. First vehicle I've owned with a turbo.
go to like 1:40 in this video for a visual