First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone have an opinion on whether this mod will work or if it is even worth doing? I am referring to the first part of the video where he adjusts the tension on the waste gate actuator. I don’t have any experience with turbos so I don’t want to do anything I will regret.

Sponsored

Jwhisl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also interested

Deleted member 9167

In theory this would work if you're able to actually make adjustments on your wastegate. I don't know the exact design of the Ford wastegate, but something tells me it's built in and/or electronically controlled which wouldn't allow for adjustment.

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You cannot make adjustments to the WGA (waste gate actuator) as the tension is preset and non adjustable.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You cannot make adjustments to the WGA (waste gate actuator) as the tension is preset and non adjustable.
I have no idea if it would be applicable here, but when I purchased my SRT4 back in the day we didn’t initially have aftermarket support. We’d slightly bend the WGA arm to gain a few more pounds of boost. I believe it was called the spring mod.

Sponsored

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have no idea if it would be applicable here, but when I purchased my SRT4 back in the day we didn’t initially have aftermarket support. We’d slightly bend the WGA arm to gain a few more pounds of boost. I believe it was called the spring mod.
Lol there was crazy aftermarket support for the SRT-4. I was one of the 1st guys with a DCR twin turbo exhaust manifold and FBO.

But yeah joking aside...in the beginning either the 2003 SRT-4 it was diy.... by the time my ordered 2004 came in...the after market was crazy! In addition to twin turbos on a 4 cylinder and BIG turbos? There were adjustable wga, electronic boost controllers, I had an HKS boost controller, and a ton of other parts. Miss the car but not the unwelcome negativety from others.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol there was crazy aftermarket support for the SRT-4. I was one of the 1st guys with a DCR twin turbo exhaust manifold and FBO.

But yeah joking aside...in the beginning either the 2003 SRT-4 it was diy.... by the time my ordered 2004 came in...the after market was crazy! In addition to twin turbos on a 4 cylinder and BIG turbos? There were adjustable wga, electronic boost controllers, I had an HKS boost controller, and a ton of other parts. Miss the car but not the unwelcome negativety from others.
Eventually yes, but not at launch. It took AGP a few months to get an aftermarket WGA and the Mopar stage 2 kit wasn’t available yet.
We were using the spring mod and a washer on the fuel pump.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

My son showed no interest in cars but I sent him out to work at advanced auto parts. A few months later I come home to see his 2001 Neon on Jack stands. He is putting a turbo on it! He was sucsesfull to my surprise. However after about a year he blew the trans. Then went out and bought a 2004 srt 4. That car even had a feature that sprayed windshield wiper fluid on the intercooler. He still has the car put all kinds of aftermarket parts on it. Little 4 cylinder car is a beast! What was the negativety you encountered?

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My son showed no interest in cars but I sent him out to work at advanced auto parts. A few months later I come home to see his 2001 Neon on Jack stands. He is putting a turbo on it! He was sucsesfull to my surprise. However after about a year he blew the trans. Then went out and bought a 2004 srt 4. That car even had a feature that sprayed windshield wiper fluid on the intercooler. He still has the car put all kinds of aftermarket parts on it. Little 4 cylinder car is a beast! What was the negativety you encountered?
Definitely was a beast. It could run high 12s with around $1000 in mods.

Sponsored

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lol you mean meth injection?

The SRT-4 was plagued with ridicule from most others..... for being "wrong wheel drive", power windows up front but manual windows in the rear.....cheap plastic interior, a "Neon" trying to "be something it wasnt". It was considered the red headed stepchild. I enjoyed mine alot... but I admit, when direct competition arrived in the form of the Mazdaspeed 3 with 260hp...

I never compared it to the Evo or WRX but yet others foolishly did. They missed what was special about the SRT-4, cheap fast fun that responded to mods that the average enthusiasts could afford to own.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It may be called Meth injection. But the thing was running 12's at the track until he broke the front axle. He is driving an STI now as a daily driver but still loves the Neon.

OP
OP

ttheroux

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In theory this would work if you're able to actually make adjustments on your wastegate. I don't know the exact design of the Ford wastegate, but something tells me it's built in and/or electronically controlled which wouldn't allow for adjustment.
It is basically the same motor as the Focus so I thought the turbo configuration would be similar. I’ll take a peek this weekend to see what’s what.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol you mean meth injection?
Cooling the intercooler for a denser air charge by spraying it (rather than injecting it directly into the engine) is a thing. There's also kits to do it with Nitrous Oxide since it's very cold from the transition of high pressure to atmosphere.

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cooling the intercooler for a denser air charge by spraying it (rather than injecting it directly into the engine) is a thing. There's also kits to do it with Nitrous Oxide since it's very cold from the transition of high pressure to atmosphere.
No one said anything about engine injection. I merely said meth. I know the various kits available. I owned one. I was speaking specifically about the Devil's Own kit and meth injection at the intercooler. 😉
Sponsored