First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are sep things but represent a choice in my neck of the woods. I can do one or the other. I already use Techron regularly but the fact that ethanol can make old fuel gummy might really be an advantage For our situation. We don’t drive very often as it is and getting more than 40mpg might mean gas will be in the tank for quite a while.
If you aren’t driving a lot, I might say go with the top teir for the added detergents, then add a fuel stabilizer to each tank.
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Problem is not many stations carry non ethanol
https://www.pure-gas.org/

I found that several independent chains now carry "90E0" here in WNY. It was hard to find at one time, but not anymore. It might be more common in rural areas (like WNY) given the aging issues with ethanol. (eg. farm equipment)

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://www.pure-gas.org/

I found that several independent chains now carry "90E0" here in WNY. It was hard to find at one time, but not anymore. It might be more common in rural areas (like WNY) given the aging issues with ethanol. (eg. farm equipment)
This is what I buy for my lawn equipment. The pump is labeled as rec90.

Rozay

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav EB FWD LUX Area 51
I’ve had very gas sensitive cars a lot, such as my current supercharged MINI Cooper. I’ve made it a practice to always use top-tier fuel in the appropriate octane grade. In one thread here, (don’t ask me which one), there was a discussion about using ethanol free in the 2.5L hybrid motor. There is one local service station that has ethanol free gas (in regular 87 grade).

Here’s the question: which would be better for the motor long term, ethanol free or top tier with it’s superior add-pack?
Do what floats your boat

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're talking about two different things I think.

Ethanol free had higher specific energy which means better gas mileage. Not just theoretical. I've experienced it.
The other disadvantage of ethanol in fuel is that it can be gummy if it gets old. This is a problem for lawnmowers and motorcycles that can sit a lot. I'm not convinced it matters in a vehicle that's used consistently.

Top tier gas Is about the detergents included. These can help keep a fuel system clean and prevent injector clogging.

If you want to go belt and suspenders, use ethanol free gas and add Techron detergent additive every third or fourth fill!

We don't know how sensitive the Nac engines are, but there's no downside other than cost and convenience.
I have settled in to using Lucas fuel treatment in my small engines about 1.25-1.5 oz / 5 gal. 24hp Kohler riding mower runs much better since started using it, apparently keeps cleaner etc. Thinking about using it in maverick. I read some thread in which someone had either posted page, if I remember correctly, out of user manual that while not recommending use of additive or forbidding use stated that no additive used should contain "a specific compound? Metal(I believe)? As it could impare function of catalytic converter. Or maybe he had just posted a link to manual. I intend to research Lucas further when I get my XLT.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have settled in to using Lucas fuel treatment in my small engines about 1.25-1.5 oz / 5 gal. 24hp Kohler riding mower runs much better since started using it, apparently keeps cleaner etc. Thinking about using it in maverick. I read some thread in which someone had either posted page, if I remember correctly, out of user manual that while not recommending use of additive or forbidding use stated that no additive used should contain "a specific compound? Metal(I believe)? As it could impare function of catalytic converter. Or maybe he had just posted a link to manual. I intend to research Lucas further when I get my XLT.
Ford Maverick Top Tier vs Ethanol free gas? 1635020701109

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We're talking about the hybrid engine here, right? Just use 87 octane. That's what it was designed to do. Why mess with it?

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
We're talking about the hybrid engine here, right? Just use 87 octane. That's what it was designed to do. Why mess with it?
I've said it in another thread. I was using 87 octane in my Toyota Avalon Hybrid and was consistently getting 38MPH and Window Sticker said AVG MPG was 43 MPG. Friend had same car and said run ethanol free to get better mileage so I did. After 3 tanks I have consistently been getting 44 MPG. Got 44 in Toyota and then upgraded to Lexus and still getting 44 MPG. See my live Fuelly dashboard below in signature block.

So some may say buy the cheap crap. I say use the ethanol free, but as others mentioned you will pay a lot more. The value is up to you.

OP
OP
Texchappy

Texchappy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven’t checked the local dealer that has ethanol free but I don’t believe they’re charging a huge premium over the Phillips 66/Conoco I usually use.

eta: checked online and it shows the local ethanol free is actually 4 cents a gallon less than the place we usually get it. some of the other Phillips stations show the same price as do some of the el cheapo stations. It’s user reported so I guess it’s accurate.

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan on using tier 1 gas and not pinch pennies on gas. Many years ago I had an older Cadillac that had a 4-6-8 V8 (depending on power needs 2 or 4 cylinders had their valves held closed to save gas). I suffered what was believed to be vapor lock occasionally as were others. Driving mechanic nuts since it was a random problem. Start car get on highway 14-16 minutes bingo car stops, would start in 10 minutes or so. Light bulb goes off, only happens when I buy 3/4 or more tank of gas at the cheapo place. I go buy 2 gal of gas there and take to mechanic, bingo, gas tested 34% alcohol. Alcohol was messing with sensor and car thought it needed to lean the fuel mix down to 0 to fix problem.

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO, if ethanol free and ethanol gas was same price there would be a glut of ethanol fuels.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Someone will know - I seem to remember a link mentioning the 2.0 EB engine in the Maverick is NOT the dual PFI/DI EB engine in some other Ford vehicles since 2017 or so - correct?

I'm a top tier fan, mainly because of the detergents. My current F150 has the dual PFI/DI 2.7L EB engine, so I'm getting some degree of intake valve cleaning along with injector cleaning from gas with detergents. My previous (2016) F150 with 3.5L EB was DI only, but decided to use top tier also for the injectors.

The Hybrid 2.5L Atkinson engine is PFI so could benefit from a gas with detergents also.

How much detergent is in an Exxon/Shell/Chevron/etc. vs. what's in a Racetrack or Walmart's Murphy gas? I don't know, may not be enough of a different to matter.

I'll wait for someone knowledgeable in the refining/terminal industry to weigh in on type and amount of detergents in different branded gasolines (I've seen where detergents are typically added at the terminal not the refinery).

Some general info - How detergents in Top Tier gas save engines and money | Popular Science (popsci.com)

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I use non ethanol fuel my fuel economy goes up about 10%.
"Fuel economy" can mean different things to different people. Some people use it to mean miles per gallon, others to mean cost of fuel to go a given distance. I usually focus on cost of fuel. My brother's SUV gets better mileage than my Jeep, but it requires premium gas. He ends up spending more than I do to make the same trip.

Ethanol-free gasoline does contain more energy per unit volume and most people do get higher miles per gallon when using it. Most articles on the subject peg the increase around 3-5% over E10 and maybe 4-5% over E15. But, as you mention, your mileage may vary.

But whether that translates into lower fuel costs depends on the extra cost per gallon for ethanol-free at the pump. If you pay 3-5% more for ethanol-free and get 3-5% better mileage, well... your wallet feels about the same.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Fuel economy" can mean different things to different people. Some people use it to mean miles per gallon, others to mean cost of fuel to go a given distance. I usually focus on cost of fuel. My brother's SUV gets better mileage than my Jeep, but it requires premium gas. He ends up spending more than I do to make the same trip.

Ethanol-free gasoline does contain more energy per unit volume and most people do get higher miles per gallon when using it. Most articles on the subject peg the increase around 3-5% over E10 and maybe 4-5% over E15. But, as you mention, your mileage may vary.

But whether that translates into lower fuel costs depends on the extra cost per gallon for ethanol-free at the pump. If you pay 3-5% more for ethanol-free and get 3-5% better mileage, well... your wallet feels about the same.
Right you are.

Sadly due to government subsidies ethanol is sold for less money than it costs to produce. Which also add's to food costs. Ultimately our taxes go to support this. We don't pay at the pump but we pay.

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Most experts say to use the manufactures recommended grade, 87. Anything above is a waste of money. I occasionally fillup with premium . My C max regularly exceeds the epa even with 166000 miles on it. Non ethanol is very hard to find here.
Sponsored