First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The anti-automatic car wash people were right.

I was wrong.

What does this look like to you?

😕

IMG_0275.jpeg

Can this be undone?
Yikes,not good. I wash ( and wax with paste wax) my vehicles once a year at home every spring.the paint on my 15 year old ram still looks like new.hope my maverick holds up as well!
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can I ask what type of car wash you went to? I have used the local "touch" wash and I have not seen any swirls like that.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can I ask what type of car wash you went to? I have used the local "touch" wash and I have not seen any swirls like that.
You have a point not all cash washes are the same I took my maverick through one while on a trip in Texas. Rubber style washers and it never pre soaked my truck. Made my paint look like crap. The Tommy’s wash in town I use has never left swirls but they do prewash, and a lot of soap.

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I was wrong.

😕

IMG_0275.jpeg

Can this be undone?
Man, if you go to a drive-thru car wash, TOUCHLESS is the only way to go! Even if you have to drive a distance to get to it. I have gone touchless for the last 15 years or so, and never a scratch or complaint. This is especially necessary now, with paints getting thinner and cheaper every year.

Sponsored

Shawn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I was wrong.

😕

IMG_0275.jpeg

Can this be undone?
As an owner of black cars, never use the car wash unless you don't care about swirls. I have 4 black cars, wash at home, doesn't take any longer than going to car wash. As someone else said two bucket method is best practice, idea with that is removing dirt to prevent scratches, so you have a rinse bucket for sponge or mitt. I don't use two bucket method myself but, grew up poor so still using the same bucket I have had since 1993, and occasionaly have got a rock on the mitt that left a scratch and had to buff out. Here are my tips once you get that buffed out looking new again:

1. Buy 2 buckets. They also make inserts that keep you mitt off the bottom and trap dirt, they do help as I recently got one even though still usong one bucket.
2. Hose off any caked on dirt, if you went offroading use a pressure washer first.
3. Don't press on the mitt when washing. Pressure causes scratches, most of the dirt wipes off.
4. Rinse mitt frequently.
5. Start with top of vehicle as it is cleanest. I do roof, hood top half of fenders and doors first in that order, then front and rear bumpers, bottom of fenders and doors last as they get caked with most dirt. This way dirt creating swirls is biggest risk on bottom of car and any swirls you do get down there are very hard for you to see, so won't upset you later.

I had a 12 year old black Silverado I traded on the Mav and paint looked so good they thought it was several years newer.

I live in Midwest so I do use the touchless car wash in the winter, but never removes salt film, however thanks to global warming we have been getting some abnormally warm days in recent years so I try to wash at home if it's 60 degrees or so out.

donaldtr54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I go to an auto wash. called AUTOWASH. no brushes just high pressure spray and a rotating spray heads. Works great.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
Meguiar's Scratch X (for stubborn deeper scratches)
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

No kidding, these products (used as directed) will resolve your issues and also provide a shinier, easier to maintain finish.

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If truly just swirl marks, yes it’s completely correctable with a polish/detail. Dark paints show everything. We have a shadow black Mav. I’ve always leaned towards black paint, as it “keeps me honest.”

Sponsored

jorl

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav HYB XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DON'T go to "automatic" car washes-that is some thin paint on top of thin metal

tciotti2003

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As written already, get your truck professionally done and have a ceramic coating done and you'll be amazed at how good tour paint and glass will come out. Once you do that it's just a quick rinse and dry

Old Fart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT; 2016 Prius ECO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like Scratch Doctor by New Finish, it's a liquid buffing compound, use it with a micro fiber cloth, clay bars are good for removing dull grime but the Scratch Dr. is good for blemishes but it takes elbow grease.

nascarlurg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2023 Toyota Tacoma Off- Road,
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just pay for your "we told you so" mistake. :ROFLMAO:
It doesn't look like car wash damage to me. It looks like poor car prep with a circular polisher covered up with a wax job that finally washed off.
My Maverick has been through the car wash about 60 times, no scratches no swirls.
Ford Maverick The Anti-Car Wash people were right. IMG_20240428_115332_979
Sponsored