First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This was addressed in a previous post by the OP in this thread which also mentions that DeeZee stated that it's installed incorrectly on Ford's Accessories page.

I'm hoping there's some resolution from DeeZee as I was thinking about getting one. Maybe I'll just go the button head bolt route.
I just swapped it and it’s worse. It rubs more because the barrel still reached the bolt.
Sponsored

Thor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW 228ix convertible
I watched the installation video on the ranger and it was installed the same way the OP originally installed it. I think it was correct then and the bold needs to be replaced.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
We use a lot of these shocks at my work and the skinny part is always pointing up. This is because they are oiled filled and with skinny part pointing down guess what happens. Yep that oil leaks out eventually and the shock becomes useless.

BeachBum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Area 51 AWD Maverick XLT w/ Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We use a lot of these shocks at my work and the skinny part is always pointing up. This is because they are oiled filled and with skinny part pointing down guess what happens. Yep that oil leaks out eventually and the shock becomes useless.
so water leaks in or the oil leaks out and it gets scratched from the bolt, maybe I don't want one after all

Sponsored

OdinStormfist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question: Is the Maverick tailgate really heavy enough to warrant an assist? Wouldn’t this also interfere with alternate levels for alternate load settings?

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Question: Is the Maverick tailgate really heavy enough to warrant an assist? Wouldn’t this also interfere with alternate levels for alternate load settings?
It's not about the tailgate being too heavy at all, it's just for the convenience to unlatch the tailgate and have it fall open without slamming down.
The post to move the tailgate support for the load setting that aligns with the wheel wells is located above the tailgate assist mount so there is no interference at all for that.

Last edited:

Edogg1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade desert hawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After having pick ups for many years, I’ve found there are very few true “bolt on” products that need no modification. It says it in the word…modify. I think just like the truck being rushed out to the market (not including chip and supply setbacks) without extensive testing, Ford and the aftermarket suppliers are relying on this kind of feedback to fine tune these products. Dee Zee will most likely add a replacement bolt to the kit once they see this. Hopefully they will send them to everyone that already purchased, we’ll see.

Sponsored

OdinStormfist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not about the tailgate being too heavy at all, it's just for the convenience to unlatch the tailgate and have it fall open without slamming down.
Funny, I thought that the sound created was the sound of “Time to get to work!”. ;)

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just swapped it and it’s worse. It rubs more because the barrel still reached the bolt.
I just went to parts store and bought some screws that are sold to attach license plates.
Comes with 4 screws with large round flat heads. The length is same as the one that holds tail lights. I put Cylinder up as the instructions from DeeZee shows. There is at least 3/16" clearance between the top of screw and the cylinder. Problem solved! I don't know why the cust. support at DeeZee act like they no nothing of this problem, but I did report problem as well as fix. Was told that they would notify engineering about this. This phone call to DeeZee has made me rethink if I would ever buy DeeZee brand again. Cust. support was totally clueless as to what the product was, even when I gave part # and description. Damper works great. Only plus I give.

OP
OP
oreomuffin

oreomuffin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CaptainK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update from DeeZee:

"Ford added this bolt (the one hitting the shock) after the original fit on the test Maverick that was not yet in production. Hence, there was never a bolt in that position when the original testing was done; also you are not the only caller on this; we have had some more.

Ford and DeeZee will have to work together on this; unfortunately, it can be a slow process."

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bullxxxt. DeeZee playing tag. Typical aftermarket response. If you bought from deezee you're probably SOL. If you got it from Ford, return it. That's the only way they'll learn/clean up the mistake. Ford won't tolerate a high return/defect rate. There has to be consequences in the form a ton of returned merchandise costing them $$$.
Sponsored

Last edited: