kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Worked for me. Pretty sure this is how its supposed to be judging by the pic, they just don't tell you that.
The picture also shows the strut upside down, which is another thing that makes this whole situation so confusing.

azsrule

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No you are confused. It's the sound of the toilet lid slamming down that is the sound of "time to get to work."
Mine don't slam it's got a hydraulic strut on it.

Jared

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Shouldn’t have to do this but…remove the screw. Place in a vise with softies holding the threads. Grab dremel and grind head height down for clearance. Use a piece of toilet paper (yes the soft gold) as a tester. Place tp on top of head of bolt close the tailgate and see if you can remove the tp.

Or replace the screw with a pan head screw.

When you close the tailgate, the strut will shift slightly to the passenger side, so when you are visually checking for clearance, do it with the tailgate closed.

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update 0020E971-C802-4145-A38F-CBB79BD8A111

Last edited:

Sponsored

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you look at the photo from Ford, yes it is upside down, but look at the bolt in question. Find that bolt, and swap it.

Maybe, just perhaps Deezee is telling the truth by saying the current bolt wasn't there. Looking at Ford's photo, and the photo you guys have posted of your install, the bolts are different.

DeeZee was probably given an early vehicle to use to design, Ford probably later realized they could save some money by changing the bolt in production versions.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BajaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hopefully another data point on this, I just installed the Tailgate Assist from Ford, and I initially tilted the strut bracket next to the tail light (to avoid rubbing the screw, as shown in previous examples), but then looking closely, I could see the strut wasn't even near the screw head, in my case. I adjusted the bracket to be perfectly vertical/flat, and I could still see about 1/8th inch between the screw and the fat strut housing (strut installed correctly, main/fat end on top).

So, you might install the bracket flat, then slowly close your tailgate and see if the screw head is going to rub the strut housing. If it is going to rub, then just tilt the bracket. Maybe Ford started using different screws, or maybe Dee Zee adjusted the Tailgate Assist kit recently... Anyway, it works great!

ob1ob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve installed this tailgate assist and have no issues with the strut rubbing the screw. However the cable gets pinched between the top of the strut and the tailgate damaging the protective heatshrink. I have to guide the cable to the back of the strut as I close the tailgate. Installation was very straightforward, and I don’t think I installed this incorrectly. Anyone else have this issue and/or have a solution? Thanks.
Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update 19C17CD2-80D3-4E76-B8D5-456E43C36CD3
Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update E957BE04-86D7-4EC5-BAF8-50E014517AAA

Last edited:

Distracto

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve installed this tailgate assist and have no issues with the strut rubbing the screw. However the cable gets pinched between the top of the strut and the tailgate damaging the protective heatshrink. I have to guide the cable to the back of the strut as I close the tailgate. Installation was very straightforward, and I don’t think I installed this incorrectly. Anyone else have this issue and/or have a solution? Thanks.
19C17CD2-80D3-4E76-B8D5-456E43C36CD3.jpeg
E957BE04-86D7-4EC5-BAF8-50E014517AAA.jpeg
So, a year later, but how has your cable and heat shrink held up?

Sponsored

Distracto

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Leaving this here for any who come looking,

Firstly thank you to everyone who posted before and dealt with early issues so we could be aware of what to look for. That being said I had none of them..

- my package was brandy new from Amazon and stamped "23/01” so maybe manufactured this year with improvements?

- the tail light screw does not rub against the strut. See pictures. I actually left the upper bracket, which attached to the truck body, a little loose to see what position it fell into naturally when working the assembly, and tightened it down afterwards.. it rested at a slight angle, as shown in the pics so I left it that way..

- my strut is installed with the body upwards and the arm on the bottom, as shown in instructions

- the heat shrink portion of the tailgate cable does not seem to be rubbing against either and seems to collapse to a suitable position

So perhaps deezee fixed their issues!

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update PXL_20230920_163944483

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update PXL_20230920_163924210

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update PXL_20230920_163907651

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update PXL_20230920_163858242

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update PXL_20230920_160600673

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update PXL_20230920_160050386

ob1ob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, a year later, but how has your cable and heat shrink held up?
The cable heatshrink has sustained more damage due to the rubbing against the strut. I recently removed the strut because I was hauling a long item and needed the extra tie down on the tailgate. I may reinstall the the strut and see if I can do something to eliminate the rubbing. I’m glad that you are not having any issues with yours.

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The cable heatshrink has sustained more damage due to the rubbing against the strut. I recently removed the strut because I was hauling a long item and needed the extra tie down on the tailgate. I may reinstall the the strut and see if I can do something to eliminate the rubbing. I’m glad that you are not having any issues with yours.
Wait, those ARE tie downs! I thought they were bottle openers😂

Distracto

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A shot in the dark: (pun intended huuur) I inadvertently installed the upper bracket at a tilt (not exactly vertical).. perhaps by doing so, the cable rests in line with the strut head and is not encouraged to fall past/overlap/rub against it..

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist Update PXL_20230921_011057372

ob1ob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A shot in the dark: (pun intended huuur) I inadvertently installed the upper bracket at a tilt (not exactly vertical).. perhaps by doing so, the cable rests in line with the strut head and is not encouraged to fall past/overlap/rub against it..

PXL_20230921_011057372.jpg
Good tip. I’ll give that a try. Thank you.(y)
Sponsored