clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there even a start/stop button hybrid?? If so I would bet it is safe to push as computer properly programmed would ignore it as necessary.🤔
Negative, no button, and you cannot control ICE start stop on a hybrid, it’s all computer controlled and almost all the reviews note that it is essentially seamless. It is cranked by a very powerful electric motor, virtually instantly.

Hybrid buttons: drive mode, traction, auto hold on brake.

Ford Maverick Start Stop Battery Questions B4F61402-ED66-4093-AE15-85C580A18F21
Sponsored

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Negative, no button, and you cannot control ICE start stop on a hybrid, it’s all computer controlled and almost all the reviews note that it is essentially seamless. It is cranked by a very powerful electric motor, virtually instantly.

Hybrid buttons: drive mode, traction, auto hold on brake.
Just to clarify, you're saying that you cannot disable auto start/stop on the hybrid? What about if you always have a 4 way tester in your back to fool the pickup into thinking that you are hauling something? suah as this one?

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why would you want to try to force the ICE to run at all times in the hybrid, exactly?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just to clarify, you're saying that you cannot disable auto start/stop on the hybrid? What about if you always have a 4 way tester in your back to fool the pickup into thinking that you are hauling something? suah as this one?
What does hauling have to do with ICE start/stop? It’s still going to run its eCVT routines no matter how much you try to haul, eh?

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What does hauling have to do with ICE start/stop? It’s still going to run its eCVT routines no matter how much you try to haul, eh?
My understanding was that the auto start stop would not stop if the pickup was hauling anything.

Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why would you want to do that though? I'm sure shutting off the ICE when it's not needed contributes quite a bit to the hybrids great city mpg, and by all accounts it's a seamless transition

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think that would get past the young whippersnapper two thumb gamer trained programmer who most likely can furnish you the serial number of your 2.2oz tester's chip as the computer notices that the current being sent to your drive motor is the same as normal except when sometimes you have a 142lb passenger.🤔

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My brothers Chevy Malibu also had a small motorcycle sized battery in the trunk area just for the stop start feature.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty much nobody has one yet to do any testing on this, but the manual lists "Towing a trailer" as one of the things that "may cause the gasoline engine to start or remain running."

I don't know if "Towing a trailer" means being in the "Tow/Haul" drive mode, or having some trailer lights plugged in, or tripping some kind of sensor that detects the additional load.

If your trick works, I suppose you could call it "disabling the auto start/stop," but it's not like actually switching it off. Tricking the computer into thinking you are towing a trailer could have other effects (gearing? braking?) that you might not want.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty much nobody has one yet to do any testing on this, but the manual lists "Towing a trailer" as one of the things that "may cause the gasoline engine to start or remain running."

I don't know if "Towing a trailer" means being in the "Tow/Haul" drive mode, or having some trailer lights plugged in, or tripping some kind of sensor that detects the additional load.

If your trick works, I suppose you could call it "disabling the auto start/stop," but it's not like actually switching it off. Tricking the computer into thinking you are towing a trailer could have other effects (gearing? braking?) that you might not want.
OK, this is 💡🤔💡! When tow/haul mode is selected I am thinking you are notifying computer that you are towing a trailer or hauling 1500 lbs in bed OR BOTH and you expect MAX TORQUE. So that "let's go for 42 mpg" is out is "out the window". So depending on battery SOC ICE is started immediately and/or probably sooner than it normally would. Then computer could respond with higher torque with the same pedal position. At least until it can calculate settings needed to get everything moving at a certain speed. (Let us not lose sight that start/stop is to give EB driver the ability to stop the computer from automatically starting and stopping ice). The hybrid driver doesn't need this function as he can ask for ice help by advancing pedal further/faster than electric motor is able or capable of delivering.
💡🤔💡if we have no load and no trailer can we treat "tow/haul" as "drag" mode?🤞

Sponsored

vertigo12369

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The reason for two batteries is to prevent “voltage dip” type issues during restart. The smaller battery is disconnected from the main battery during a stop/start event (Grand Cherokee) via a large relay. The single battery variants have a boost dc/dc converter to raise the voltage on sensitive components during restart (Cherokee). This module will contain some largish capacitors. It only needs to boost for a few milliseconds. Newer stop/start have dual solenoids on the starter motors to reduce restart time and decrease the size of the boost dc/dc converter. Hybrids by design are always turning the ICE on and off. Disabling that function would effect driveability.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My hybrid gas engine only comes on when I need power or the hybrid system needs to recharge itself. At most red lights it’s Strickland battery powered and when you step on the gas (unless you thump it) you start off basically like a golf cart.. after a few stops you never notice it. It’s not a start stop type technology. If you trick the car into not doing what it’s supposed to do, I would suggest you have your AAA card handy. I love the technology of my RAV4 hybrid and in eco mode I’m near 34 mpg, in sport mode it’s quick and about 29-30 mpg.

OP
OP
Fredvon4

Fredvon4

Banned
Banned
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep grand cherokee
I want to apologize for setting Hybrid owners hair on fire. I have never driven one but assumed the start stop so to speak was different for different reasons....

On IC engine vehicles the system is great if you liver in a METRO area with excessively LONG wait times for a traffic signal ..say at a 4 way stop with 6 lanes waiting in turn to turn, left, right or straight through. I have sat at stops in WDC exceeding 12 minutes....saves a LOT of fuel and emissions.

Here in Rural Texas small town the system is aggravating and as noted above, in certain I got to GO NOW! any hesitation is nerve wracking. I like I can lock it out every drive cycle. Wish the engineers had given me the option of permanent default OFF
Sponsored